Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so before I begin I just want to say thank you all for the help that I’ve gotten from you guys in the past 5 years that I’ve been here and it’s also been 5 years since I became a gun owner, yay!!. I went from being a rookie to now very well experienced when it comes to gun knowledge and stuff. But I wouldn’t have gotten there if I didn’t meet any of you and ask ask ask when I had questions. And so again, thank you guys for all the help!

And now off to some great news I got for y’all. I knocked this one off the bucket list and I decided that I wanna share it with my friends here at firearms talk. Just a quick reminder, I have very limited hunting experience, I’ve done it before when it comes to hog hunting but had absolutely zero success. I’ve killed farm raised domestic pigs in the past but wild hogs are an entirely different level. Anyways, I was prepared with my rifle, ammo and stuff. But because this is something I rarely do, the one thing I was unprepared for was my knives weren’t sharpened enough when it came to skinning and quartering. But I didn’t think I was gonna get a kill let alone 2 so that was my main goal. Anyways, no big deal you work with watcha got and it was definitely a fun learning experience to shoot some wild hogs and will for sure head back out there again!!

So this morning the brother and I went hog hunting and we did a paid hunt. The brother is not much of a hunter but he came along to spectate and help me with out with my kills if I got any.

Well we got there by 8am and an hour in the hunt, I kill my first wild hog!! It’s a boar and he’s a little over 100 pounds and I got him from roughly 50 yards.

The second pig was a smaller one, I shot him in the leg from maybe 60 yards or so and then he ran. And so I followed the pack, and about an hour later, found him and a bunch of others at a feeder, I accidentally spooked them like usual, waited for a sec in some brush while he was limping behind the rest of the pack, popped him from about I would say maybe 30 yards and he flipped into a small creek bed.

So 2 confirmed kills, I am very happy!!!! Will definitely be going back again someday. Just wanted to share my experience that I had today with you guys!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
15,364 Posts
Get a good carbon steel fixed blade skinning knife like the Schrade Little Finger. You don't need a big knife for skinning and carbon steel keeps it's edge longer. Carry a good stone or diamond sharpener for touch up.
Unfortunately they are now made in China. Mine was made in the USA.

Reactions: PANDEMIC

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
The beauty of the ones on the link are that once the blade gets dull you take it off, throw it away and put a fresh razor sharp blade on and you are good to go.
I've carried a Havalon Piranta since 2018. Same concept. Brought 100 blades for $30. Fantastic for small game and delicate work. For big work i have a custom fixed blade and a hawk.

Here is a pic of the fixed. High carbon steel (made from a planer blade), micarta handle.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess what fellas, so I took out some of the hog meat of the small hog I shot and marinated it last night after putting some seasonings and spices on it. Then I put it into a crock pot for about 4 hours this morning, after it was done I bbq sauced it and then smoked/bbq it for about 20 min and then bbq sauced it some more and done. I’ll tell you what, this is the FIRST wild hog I’ve eaten and it is soooo good!! It’s so much better then store bought pork. You cook it right, the meat will fall right off the bone, and the meat actually melts in your mouth! It’s almost like brisket when it’s properly cooked, the meat falls off so smoothly. That’s how this one turned out, soooo good!!

I can’t wait to go back out there again to shoot another hog!!!!, this whole experience from the moment I put my crosshairs on the hog and pulled the trigger, to skinning/quartering to wrapping and freezing the meat. And then from there marinating the meat, to boiling it and then smoking/bbq and to the plate. It is so worth the time, money and energy very well spent!!

Off the grill:

After I put some more BBQ sauce on it:

I personally like to eat it with ranch because I’m weird like that lol but again, it turned out fantastic!! 😁

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very cool! Be careful, there's a bullet in there someplace!
Thanks for the heads up! The first hog I nailed him in the neck and he dropped instantly and the second one was the leg and then the second shot was a little higher up in the shoulder blades before he dropped. I used 5.56 M855 ammo since a hogs skin acts like body armor and is very thick. And so more then likely the bullet made a clean breakthrough. I was gonna use 55 grain but I was worried that it just wouldn’t penetrate and so I did a little googling and this was weeks ago before the hunt, and lots of people had success with the M855 and my barrel is 1/8 and so that round is just more accurate in my specific setup.

One other thing however, I just now remembered I cooked the meat in the crock pot for 5 hours actually from 8am-1pm. And so the meat was slightly overcooked by just a little bit but again it came out excellent and so next time I’ll let the meat boil for 4 hours instead if I plan on smoking/bbq straight after. But an hour more or less doesn’t really make a difference, the meat still came out perfect and better then I expected.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! The first hog I nailed him in the neck and he dropped instantly and the second one was the leg and then the second shot was a little higher up in the shoulder blades before he dropped. I used 5.56 M855 ammo since a hogs skin acts like body armor and is very thick. And so more then likely the bullet made a clean breakthrough. I was gonna use 55 grain but I was worried that it just wouldn’t penetrate and so I did a little googling and this was weeks ago before the hunt, and lots of people had success with the M855 and my barrel is 1/8 and so that round is just more accurate in my specific setup.

One other thing however, I just now remembered I cooked the meat in the crock pot for 5 hours actually from 8am-1pm. And so the meat was slightly overcooked by just a little bit but again it came out excellent and so next time I’ll let the meat boil for 4 hours instead if I plan on smoking/bbq straight after. But an hour more or less doesn’t really make a difference, the meat still came out perfect and better then I expected.
Something tells me you haven't downed your last hogs... 😁

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something tells me you haven't downed your last hogs... 😁
Lol, man! The second hog was much harder. The first one was standing for a few seconds long enough for me to take a clean shot. But man, the second one being a piglet, those little guys are hard to shoot because they won’t stop moving! A lot of times they stay close to the pack and so it’s very hard to pinpoint them without accidentally shooting into the heard. And so the second one I got him in the leg but it took a few misses before I clipped him and so he was basically limping for about an hour while I pursued him along with the others. I found them all eating at a feeder, I accidentally spooked them, and so then they all started running BUT guess what, the limpy one was falling behind the pack, and so I just waited till he ran into my crosshairs, I fired once and missed, second shot was right where I aimed. He immediately flopped into the creek bed and died seconds later. Yeah that’s the thing, shooting a moving target while its running is not easy. I’m sure it does get easier with LOTS of practice, but being that’s my first time, it was a pretty good shot considering he was running. Those piglets never stop running!

·
Supporting Member
14,395 Posts
Pan,
That is GREAT! The SMILE tells in all! :)

Where did you get that type of Camouflage hunting outfit! :p

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pan,
That is GREAT! The SMILE tells in all! :)

Where did you get that type of Camouflage hunting outfit! :p

yeah the outfit is obviously just causal lol 😃

So essentially it’s 40 acres of controlled game. It’s all fenced in and stocked with hogs, deer and ram. Basically it’s $200 to hunt and your limited up to 2 hogs. But they have to be under 100 pounds otherwise you pay extra per lb. Anyways, it’s setup like that so that folks who want to harvest their own meat but experience the thrill of the hunt by independently pursuing their game can do so. They also offer blinds if folks wish to go that route, but if you wanna pursue and get that adrenaline rush and your blood pumping, then that’s the other option which is what I did. 😁

1 - 20 of 27 Posts