Went to look at a Ruger...brought this home instead

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Nov 17, 2009.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you saw my post about the Blackhawk in 30 Carbine, you know I was going to check one out last night. It was EXACTLY what my dad said it was. 7 1/2" Blackhawk "used" but after close inspection I believe 100% that it was unfired, for $350.

Then I saw this.....

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

Yes gents, a S&W 629-1, 8 3/8" 44 Magnum, $450. I've been wanting a 44 Mag for a LONG time and with my wife standing there giving me the green light I was all over it. The best part, I haven't touched it, it was this clean on the shelf! Wish I could get a picture of the bore, spotless! I don't know who had this but they didn't shoot it much.

On a side note, the used shelf was PACKED with like new handguns at great prices. I think we may start to see a lot of that the near future, IMO.

2. spittinfire

Oh yeah, came with the original box!

DSC_0325.jpg

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

That Spitty is an absolutely amazing score for that price. I agree that some deals are going to start showing up...

4. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

Nice! and what a price, was it at Gander mountain? in my experience they are always at least 100 more than normal prices.

Sweet find, I was kinda expecting to see a glock:eek:j/k

5. spittinfire

Thank you both. It was at Gander Mountain actually and you're right, usually their prices are way high but they had a BUNCH of good deals on used guns. I was told that this gun was on the shelf for about 4 hours and I couldn't let it go. They did throw in that little cleaning mat, a silicone gun sock, a lock, a free cleaning/inspection by their gun smith and a 1 year warrenty. I would have bought it without that stuff but hey, it was "free". As soon as I can round up some ammo I'm heading to the range!

Anyone got some 44 Special?

Can anyone help me date it? I know it was build from 80-88 but I'd like to narrow it down some more.

6. 995

995 New Member

Nice peice you picked up there.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That is a screaming good deal! Around here, you can't touch that 629 under $750 plus. Ya' dun good!

BTW, Sportsman's Guide has .Corbon .44 Special for around $30. for a box of 20. :eek:

8. spittinfire

Thanks for the tip. You still on the hunt for 44 Special?

9. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

+1 great pick up man

10. spittinfire

Thanks for the info but who can afford to actually shoot the thing at that price? I see some more dies in my future....the curse of reloading. I need brass!!

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yeah, I'm still looking for some .44 special ammo, but it's on hold for now. Some stuff has come up so I'll have to just sit tight for a bit.

12. OC357

OC357 New Member

Spittinfire, that is just an awesome find.

It just amazes me that people buy such a fine revolver and then just put it away and probably never fire it, or fire it once and put it away for years. (an antique or true collectable I can understand-but that is a really fine shooting gun).... I shake my head in disdain for them......and then I smile when I hear that someone found it as a bargain and bought it and will shoot it, appreciate it, and take care of it. I am glad that it will now be properly used and appreciated.

OC

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

As much as I like my Blackhawk I would have been on that Smith like white on rice!

Great snag spit!

14. spittinfire

Have no fear, my friend. I have plans for this pistol and if nothing changes it will spend some time at the range and in the woods.

15. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

629-1's go from about 450.00 to about 590.00 these days so I'd say you did good. I have a large collection of 44 Magnums, and I love tham all. One of my all-time favorites is my 629-6 Classic.

You just can't go wrong with Smith & Wesson.

My collection includes:

Ruger Vaquero 44 Mag
    Ruger Bisley 44 Mag
    Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag
    S&W 629-6 Performance Center Hunter 44 Mag
    S&W 629-6 Classic 44 Mag
    S&W 329PD Airlite 44 Mag

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  16. OC357

OC357 New Member

Mark F, you have more 44 Magnums than Gawd.....:D

Nice collection.

OC

17. WDB

WDB New Member

Congrats Spit, it must be a sweet Ruger to make you pass on that Smith.

18. spittinfire

:confused: