went out and shot my new LCR Ruger

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ViNoM, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

Went out to my parents and got some target practice with my "new" LCR Ruger. I really didn't have any targets per se, but using a beer can against a dirt backstop, I got pretty accurate. The can was sitting on the ground so I was shooting down at it.

I started out about 15 yards, but couldn't hit very close to the target, but when I moved up to about 5-7 yards, I was hitting all around that can. I even hit it once. :rolleyes: From what I understand this LCR is a personal protection gun, and not too accurate at long ranges. I just didn't think 10 yards was "long range"

Since I haven't shot much I think I did pretty well, from where the rounds were hitting the dirt around the can, I would say, if I had a paper target, most rounds would have landed in the black. Not too bad I think. :D

But I put five +P through, and I could sure tell a difference. I'm thinking about going with that Beretta 9mm. I have an injury to my shooting hand, thumb joint and it sure hurts now. woowee. :(

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Where are the pictures of the poor can target?? :eek:

3. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

I was supposed to take pictures??? LOL :D I only hit it once! but I knocked it over a few times from the dirt around it. Maybe I should take a video next time. :p

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You're new, and you're connected, so we will go light on you this time. :cool:

But range visits REQUIRE a Range Report with pictures. :p

You can't come in talking a game about what you did or didn't do. Pictures or it didn't happen. ;)

JD

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Congrats on the new LCR!'
    I've had mine for about a year and a half now and carry it on a daily basis. The short sight radius doesn't make for a great "target" gun, but it is plenty accurate for close range.
    As far as the hand injury , maybe some lighter handloads or something like Prvi Partizan Ammunition 38 Special 158 Grain LRN ($13.90 per 50) in particular are very soft shooting, save the +p for carry and occasional practice.
    Canebrake recommended the Prvi to me for LCR practice ammo
    Sounds like you shot pretty good, accuracy will definitely improve with practice and getting used to the double action trigger pull.
    He11, if you were all around the can at 7 yards you probably would've had me beat on paper the first time out;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  6. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

Well thanks Gate, I will have to check that out. I only put 5 +P through, but I could really see a difference. I will try those load you suggest, and next time I will provide the range report :D

7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Oh yeah, I know you didn't know about the pics....hate to do it, but it is required after all :p
    [​IMG]

8. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

I guess I could have taken out my phone and snapped one, but it is so ancient it only has, like, 3 pixels. LOL. I will provide a range report next time. promise ;)

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You're alright kid. We'll keep you around, at least for awhile. ;)

JD

10. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Boy are you lucky I was stocking...ah...monitoring your safety while shooting and took one...

[​IMG]

11. yankee2500

yankee2500 New Member

Were those cans in season ?:D

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yes, VNM, pictures are a must.

Sounds like you had fun and got some good practice in. Good for you!! Thanks for the report!

13. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I Think...

I think I need to see a picture of that dead can before I go out and purchase one. Where's the picture of that dead soldier :D

14. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

You'll get better with practice

Based on having a co-worker with an LCR and seeing him qualify with a 90/100 (5 rounds out, my guess would be from the 25 yard line :( ). Why the POST doesn't have a Q course for a back up gun I'll never know. My co-worker carries the Speer 125gn GDHP in his. I can't remember what he shot to qualify with it. I know a couple of deputies who have them too and report similar performance.

Dry practice helps, just make sure it's DRY. It'll really help getting used to that DA pull.

* At 7 and 5 yards he was putting all of his rounds into a 3-4" area. He wouldn't tell anyone how he did with it the first time he shot it though. I'm thinking maybe he was wanting to hide something. :D

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I wouldn't mind having an LCR, myself. :eek:

16. WDB

WDB New Member

What did he qualify for with this pistol at 25 yards (75 feet)? Smelling Ninja. Is your Coworker a LEO? At 7&5 yards he was he was hitting 3-4"...that seems reasonable.

Make sure it's DRY

17. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

We're both LEOs that's why we were qualifying. Doesn't smell Ninja to me it smells like the POST not having a dedicated Q course for back up guns.

There are a couple of higher end contract security outfits in this state who use the same Q course as POST and hire only former LEOs or military (combat arms) because their clients demand nothing less.

Seriously, you don't know what DRY means when speaking of DRY practice? Okay, make sure it's EMPTY, does that help?