Well it's time for another AR...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Quentin, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yep it's time for another AR. :evilgrin:

Yesterday I picked up an ArmaLite M15 Stripped Lower Receiver that Impact Guns has had on sale for $120 for a while. Actually I ordered and paid for it in August but had to wait over a month for it to arrive at the local store. I know there are cheaper deals on lowers but didn't think this was bad since there was no transfer fee and ArmaLite wants $160 for it.

I also got an ArmaLite LPK and BCM milspec receiver extension/M4 Gen II stock kit. Got it put together today and must say the LPK is excellent and everything went together super easy, even the roll pins. And using a clevis pin to install the pivot pin detent sure made that easy, no pins launching across the room like the lower I did last year! :D This is the second BCM stock kit I've bought and they're about as good as it gets.

I put the ArmaLite upper I bought from SawTac last year on the new lower which frees up my S&W M&P-15 lower for a new upper. Not sure what I'm going to get but probably BCM. Since I'll probably go BCM I was tempted to get one of their $270 blemished complete lowers but couldn't resist marrying an ArmaLite logo lower to the ArmaLite upper.

Here's a couple pictures of the lower:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

And here's the complete lower:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

And here's the complete rifle, I'll call it an ARM-15 or AR-M15A4:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.................................... [​IMG] M15

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  4. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Great look'in build! Love the 20 rd mag too. :)

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Very nice build Quentin. Very well done!

JD

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hey thanks guys! I really like the way it turned out. Very plain jane but I like it that way.

kenhesr, I love 20rd mags too. The one pictured is a Colt. I got lucky and scored two of them a while back and two others made by NHMTG which along with OKAY made mags for Colt. I have quite a few 30rd OKAYs. All of these are 100% reliable.

The cut down carry handle also is Colt/Anchor Harvey. Nice to have a few Colt parts on an ArmaLite! :D

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

New:

Today I ordered a Charles Daly Stripped Lower Receiver from Rainier Arms for my son-in-law for Christmas. He's originally from near Harrisburg, PA so will love the rollmark and place of manufacture. Of course CDD went out of business earlier this year but they made fine ARs and good looking receivers.

Always wanted to try out Rainier Arms too, heard a lot of good. I think JD's dealt with them over the years. During the online order selecting the FFL dealer never came up so I called. They picked up the phone quick and were very friendly. Married my FFL with my order and said it would ship out today which would be fantastic.

Hope to have some pictures soon. Maybe I should make a new thread at the time but just piggybacked on this one for now.

SIL has been wanting to punch his "man card" by building an AR. Think it'll turn out real well. This month it's just the lower then he'll start researching uppers.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Here are pictures of the CDD lower. I'm very impressed with its quality and the finish. Rainer Arms was a pleasure to deal with and the transfer here at Hawktech also went very well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Looking at your location, I'm glad I'm in the Northwest with you if ever those zombie hordes come our way!

Great build! I can't believe you didn't start the thread right when you started planning this new one.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah Chris we're getting ready for zombies here in the Northwest. You've got JD over your way and I'm a few hundred miles east in Boise. And we're not the only ones!

You're right I need to start a new build thread on the CDD lower. When my SIL starts getting the LPK and stock kit I'll do that. He's on a strict budget and says he's in no hurry so the pot's on a slow boil now. But I've heard that before so it'll be interesting to see how fast he moves on this. I expect by spring he'll be wanting to go shooting a new rifle.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My sis lives in Northern Idaho. She says that there is a common bond in Idaho that promises to ring the state with guns facing outward if SHTF. Idaho is definitely the place to be if anything goes down.

I can't wait to see the next build!

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hell, that might be a problem. My sister lives in Idaho and I don't think they have one weapon in the whole house. Roman Catholic and all. :rolleyes:
    She & her husband do have their own private army of football and soccer players though, so they will be good for ammo carriers and field messages. :p

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Sorry for the hijack, Quentin, but this is good stuff from the Northwest contingent. My sister's family had no firearm for years. I kept bugging them that any good Idahoan should have at least one and maybe 20. I mean...don't they read the news?

They finally got a couple of handguns this summer. I'll take my AR next time I go over there. They need to get with the program.

Since when is the Catholic church against firearms?

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I never said the Church was against firearms. But my sister and her husband are the "Turn the Other Cheek" types, and they don't want their little horde to grow up into war mongers.

They live about 8 miles as the crow flies from "Hate' Em Lake". You know, that big skinhead compound that got shut down? Yeah, even that didn't make them want something in the house just in case, because nothing happens to good, honest, tax paying, church going types. :rolleyes: We usually talk about school and sports and stuff like that on the twice a year get together.

Back to the thread at hand - Christmas is coming man, buy that boy a LPK and let's get that sweet new lower rolling. :D

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I like that Chris! And do meet the requirement. :D An Ida ho, err Ida gun ho. :p

Yeah, I've been thinking about that JD! But the stripped lower is his early Christmas present so I'll give him some time to squirm. Kinda want to see what he does on his own. :D He's always been adverse to guns but watching me build my ARs he's starting to see the value. At first he thought they'd blow up or not work but after firing one himself... well you know the story. First that big stupid smile then always asking when I was going shooting again. And now he sees doing one himself as the premire way to punch his "man card"!

Love it when I turn around another gun hater!

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is always the story that brings a smile to my face. The nice thing is, it's contagious. :D

Well done Quentin!

JD

17. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

A bunch of guys here from the NW. Nice build Quentin looks good . I like the look of the CD lower. Thats a nice finish. I used a TNW lower roll marked Vernonia Oregon has a real low # in the twentys. Vernonia is only around 30 miles from me so I thought that was kinda cool. Not as nice as finish as yours but for $89.00 it works great has a Stag LPK & A2 stock. Sure are fun to build.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also am impressed with the finish on the CDD lower, hate to say it but it's nicer than the ArmaLite that I got. Oh well, glad it turned out well for my SIL. I do love the S&W lower that was freed up when I married the ArmaLite stuff together. I'm hoping the Daniel Defense LW midlength upper I ordered for it arrives by Christmas.

Here's the S&W lower:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, if anyone's interested in a DD upper here's the link, a fantastic sale until the end of the year.
    Daniel Defense Custom (Stripped - No Rail) Upper Receiver Group

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My Daniel Defense 16" midlength upper finally arrived yesterday. I went with the lightweight barrel profile and think I'm going to be real happy with the weight. I can't say enough about the quality of the upper and can't wait to try her out.

It looks good on the S&W lower (pictured above) and functions properly. Here are a few pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm building a basic carbine so no rails. (Yeah, a crime since DD makes the best in the business!) Also going with the standard F-marked FSB and A2 flash hider. The BCG and charging handle are Daniel Defense.

I was going to use an extra set of standard midlength handguards but discovered they're for a triangular front plate like my ArmaLite has but this upper has the round plate. I could modify them to work but no doubt they'd slop around so why bugger them up. I'm going to pick up Magul MOE handguards this weekend. (Had considered going with the MOEs anyway so maybe this is a good thing.) I would get them today but the guy I like to buy from is at the SHOT show. Anyway, no handguards for now...

Here are quick pictures of the naked rifle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]