Well I was going to...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by DrumJunkie, Oct 20, 2013.

1. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

As many of you know I have been saying that I was going to convert one of my 12 Ga shotguns into a HD gun. While on my trek though The Preston Ky. Court Days festival I found a Mossberg 590 that was priced to sell so I guess I wont have to do any of that. It had a couple scratches but was new/unfired. I'm sure I'll make a change or two to it before it's all said and done but I guess I"ll be selling one of the others because I really do not need four 12 gauges;)

Attached Files:

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Blasphemy! :p

3. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I was gonna say something like that. Need? Need is such a subjective word isnt it? You never know when you might need to form a Posse and be one gun shy of a happy meal! Then the word need takes on a whole diff meaning, you see?

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I remember the days when I ONLY owned 4 shotguns. I used to feel . . . unsatisfied!;)

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Haaahahaaha!!

Well...I'd love to get a 20 gauge. I see my situation as a good one to have. And it might end up like my rim fire situation. I just might end up with a lot of them:)

6. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

Congrats on the buy. I have the same 590 and love it. I bought some rubber coated hooks at home depot and installed them on the inside of my bedroom closet right above the door. I keep the 590 mounted up there for home defense. Hidden in plain sight but easily within reach.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've only got one and I just got it a month or so ago. I gave waaaay too much for it but I needed a shotgun and dad really wanted that Sig P226 I'm happy with my $500 pistol for a $200 Mossberg:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Congrats guys on your new shottys!

Drum, I only own one shotgun! And its a 20ga bolt action. So I will gladly help you take care of your "too many 12 gauges" problem.

Seriously though, my next shotgun will probably be a Mossberg in 20ga. There's one that holds 8+1. I figure that'll be a pretty decent HD weapon. :)

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The 590A1 is 8+1 also, but 12 gauge.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

My Father in Law uses a Rem 20 ga for turkeys. Gets two a year and hardly ever shoots it otherwise. Can't argue with those results. But my 12s with a xtra full choke turns their heads to jelly in a hurry.:cool: So I guess I don't have to be in a hurry.:)

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

If the 20 Ga. Mossberg your talking about is a Semi,..your talking about my SA-20! It's 5+1/6+1, until you add the extended tube mag, which makes it 7+1/8+1. We also got the adjustable youth to adult stock with the pistol grip...so the wife can use it...

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nope, its a pump. I was lazy before, but I just looked it up. I thought it had a different number, but it turns out its just the 500.

http://mossberg.com/product/shotgun...1,2885&redirect=1&lastnode=1&filterNodes=2881

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well to get picky it's 5 12 ga. I have a pretty old single shot that was Dads that does not get shot anymore as by the time I was able to save it from other family members it was in pretty rough shape. But ut was a family gun so I"ll keep it and pas it on ;) I don't have much info on the old thing. Brand is Triumph. I'm pretty sire it was a catalog gun but I'm not sure the maker.
    Add in a Stevens w/adjustable choke, Moss 835, Rem 870 and the new Mossy that's a lot of shotguns!

But you are right...It's a good problem to have and too much really is never enough:)

14. DrFootball

I just sold my last two 870's last week,...so all I have now are Semi's: an 1100 with 2 extra tubes and a choke set, which doesn't get shot anymore either, and the Mossberg SA-20, and the Catamount Fury II,...the wife also wants the Rossi revolving .410/45LC....and if we do in fact go to Mo this coming April for the shoot,..we'll need either a change of barrels and the right choke for the SA-20, or a new gun just for targets...maybe the CZ-920.....

15. DrFootball

Cost almost as much as my Semi....mine was MSRP of $525, but I got it for right at 550 with the adjustable stock and the longer barrel(22.5")and mag. All we added so far was the sling, the ammo carrier on the stock, and a cheap light. I just got a 2x prismatic red/green dot sight for it( at $100 apiece, I bought three of them!).. Still need an enlarged charging handle, and a fast loader of some type...and maybe a forward vertical grip after I add a longer bottom rail,..

16. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

I know the feeling. I have several 12 gauges but my favorite for HD is my Stoegers Double Defense.

17. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Let's not forget about the UTAS15 - I like it pretty well for HD or any other D as far as that goes.

18. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So what's the deal with the 1100 setup - you needing to move that one?

19. DrFootball

Wasn't planning on it. sentimental value....and as long As I have "Room" for it. Wife is starting to "get the Gist"....

Wife:"Why are we Buying another Safe again"

Me: so we don't run out of Room

Wife: "But you said we sold your Old Guns to have more space in the Safe"

Me: and now We have PLENTY of Space.....

To Be specific: I did sell off Several Older Guns We had(which included 2 Presentation edition Colts),..Primarily to raise some extra funds to put in the bank since We're Waiting for my Wife's Disability case to go through. I still have a few of the Guns I inherited from My Dad & Uncle....but the Ones I had no Sentiment attached to went Bye Bye to new owners...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  20. DrFootball

The UTAS,...supposed to be a Better Kel-Tec then the Kel-Tec?