Well I now own a.....

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Hadouken, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Hadouken

Hadouken New Member

Mossberg 500, I am happy with my decision. I was wondering out of the box what am able to go hunting? and also I haven't held alot of shot guns so I don't know, but are all pump sections of shotguns kinda loose, a little wiggle room if you will?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Is there a spring turkey season up there?

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I don't hunt, So I couldn't tell you for sure, But it would depend on the ammunition you use, IIRC.
    Both of my Mossberg shotty's have loose slides, My M590A1 is a little loose and its never been shot, My 500 is looser but its also from the mid 1980's.

4. Hadouken

Hadouken New Member

Yeah, but I am just not sure where to go.

5. Hadouken

Hadouken New Member

The looseness isn't a problem is it, and can you tighten it up?

6. Hadouken

Hadouken New Member

Also my barrel is as 26' so I am assuming that the only thing stopping me from dove hunting could be just the right choke?

7. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Not that I am aware of, However if you feel it is too much, Call Mossberg, There needs to be some play so it can move, I have not seen any seals or what not to make it quieter.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have not looked at the new Mossbergs, but the older pump models only had a single bar connecting the foreend to the bolt, which allowed the foreend to "wiggle". Pumps such as the Rem. 870 have two bars, one on each side of the receiver and therefore do not wiggle much.

Older Mossbergs have always been serviceable shotguns, just maybe not as refined as some other brands.

9. PSmitty1

PSmitty1 New Member

The "wiggle" is common on Mossbergs. Both of mine have it and so did the others I have shot. Never had any problems out of them.

10. Slowsrt4

Slowsrt4 New Member

If you don't have any private land available check out your conservation dept for public land. Just make sure you are legal. And good luck.

11. maierar

maierar New Member

Take a look here: Wingshooting USA | Search for Bird Hunting Preserves
    The 500 is one of the most versatile shotguns around:
    [​IMG]

For very little money you can have a small game gun, large game gun (rifled slug barrel), bird gun, clays gun, and HD gun. Out of the box, you've got a reliable bird and pretty good clays gun.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ I bleve there is also a muzzle-loading barrel available, but i don't know if it qualifies for "primitive weapon" season.