Well I did it! My First Build!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Atrawick, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Atrawick

Atrawick New Member

I have been kicking around the idea of building my first AR15!:D Today I went buy a local gun shop and left with a Rock River lower and DPMS parts kit. Excited to get started!!!

2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

It's easy, just keep a close eye on all of the little springs and detents, they tend to shoot across the room and get lost. This is just the first stage of "black rifle disease". Once you get the first rifle complete, you'll be building more lowers soon, I promise.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Congratulations. And might I say, on behalf of the SUR community, you are truly screwed now. :D

I would recommend some painter's tape on the receiver where the roll pins go in and when it comes to assembling the springs and detents. One little word.

ZIPLOC

You see what I mean soon enough. :D

Good luck and PM if you need help.

JD

4. Atrawick

Atrawick New Member

Thanks! I haven't started this build yet and already thinking about the next one!:eek:

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

And along with that important word, ZIPLOC I would add a few more "1/4" clevis pin" :p

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

wear safety glasses. I never do. Each time a spring hits me in the eye ball I swear next time Ill wear safety glasses.

7. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

I like to watch this utube video[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w&feature=related]YouTube - Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 1 of 2[/ame] while assembeling a lower. And this is a good guide :: Guides Enjoy your new build and keep us posted.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No truer words have been written here...took me 2 days to find the little farken detent...:mad:

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Those little pins and springs that always disappear are called "air soluble parts".

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's what I'm F**KING talking about!! :D

When I first got here, there were like two people who had built an AR, and there was stalkingbear who had built his share. One was former military and the other was a guy who doesn't post here anymore.

Now we have a community of responsible SUR owners, many of whom have undertaken the VERY easy task of building one of these awesome platforms themselves and talking about doing others.

God damn this IS a good day. :D

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Thats a good one.

12. russ

russ New Member

I just helped a co-worker last weekend put together a 6.8 SPC in M4 piston driven configuration. I really tried to guide him to the good deals and tried to help him not make the same mistakes I did on my first one, but he was impulsive and jumped on a few things without looking around and doing some research first. He still has a nice first AR, but he's in it a couple hundred more than if he would have been patient and asked a few more questions.

So, resist the temptation to buy something just because it's there or it looks cool. Make sure it will work with your build and moves you closer to your goal.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah! You can say that again, JD!

Atrawick, good luck with your build(s)!

14. Atrawick

Atrawick New Member

Thanks Everyone! I have been looking at uppers,barrels,bolts,etc.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You are now a legal crack addict.

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Best addiction evar! :D

Congratulations on your new SUR. ;) So when are we going to see pics, hmmm? :confused:

17. Atrawick

Atrawick New Member

I will post some tonight.

18. Atrawick

Atrawick New Member

Here is a before and after shot of my lower build.
    Rock River Lower
    DPMS Parts kit

Those little PITA detents!!:eek: It went together pretty good. Took about a hour to assemble. Now i'm ready for more parts!!! This is Addictive!

Attached Files:

19. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Well done my young Padewan

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

ehm, done well the young one has Jo, under your wing he shall be?

JD