Well, decided I want to start carrying. S&W Shield 9mm came shortly thereafter!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by MadMax700, May 7, 2015.

1. MadMax700

MadMax700 New Member

Well I'm taking the course to get my carry permit on Saturday after months of toying with the idea and training with my handgun. Naturally out of anticipation, I ended up with a brand new M&P Shield 9 today after thorough research and side by side comparisons. The gun was on sale for $389, and I snagged the Sticky holster for another $22. I have to say, I'm impressed by how it feels both in my hands and holstered inside the waistline. I can't wait to try it out, I'm used to much larger handguns such as the Glock 34 pictured next to the Shield. Will report back with range results as soon as possible!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I must say I am very impressed with the fit and finish of this gun. What a gorgeous and well thought out product.

Curious to hear feedback on the holster/other options you know of, as well as any helpful tips to help me get comfortable carrying, etc.

2. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

There will always be an occasional bad story. But most of what I've heard of M&P Shield is good.

If you are new to concealed carry, check out some of the sticky threads in this subforum. Serious food for thought there.

Look for an IWB mag pouch. Sticking the spare mag in your pocket makes it hard to get out in a hurry. Or 511 makes pants with small pockets IWB that would be perfect for spare mags.

Last edited: May 7, 2015

3. Balls004

Balls004 New Member

I carry my Shield 9 in a G-Code Incog appendix holster. I'm not a large guy, but it is concealable and comfortable with shorts and a T-shirt. I can also wear this holster with nicer clothes, since it's tuckable. I like OWB mag carriers myself, because I'm usually toting two extra 8 rounders.

Shields are great pistols, My wife and I recently shot a classifier in IDPA with ours and they did great. Have fun with yours.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I do not have large hands and I had to put a rubber sleeve on the grip of my Shield. The grip was just too thin. It is much more controllable for me now. I am looking at the Talon grip wraps to replace the rubber sleeve. They thicken the grips and eliminate slippage.
    http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/shield.html

5. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Great advice in those stickys.

Another thought on the mag pouch, flip phone style cell phone case. lends in on the belt, and folks think nothing of it, as it is a common place for a smaller cell phone. just go to WalMart with your spare mag, and check the fit on a few of them to see what works best. Get one with strong Velcro and a good belt clip, and you are good to go.

6. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats...mp 40 compact is my daily carry, looked at shield but will give up comfort for the extra round

7. john300k

john300k New Member

I have had my Shield for about a year and I really like it. A couple weeks ago I put on some Talon grips, wow what a difference for $20 bucks...

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I put the Talons on yesterday and it does make a difference. They are $17.99 shipped from Talon. It is in my right front pocket as I post this.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/shield.html

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  9. Geobob

Geobob Member

Congrats on the Shield. Back when I got into CCW they were hard to find. Right now the SA XDS-9mm is my preferred CCW. Since you are starting out in this handgun, self defense arena, consider taking some good self defense handgun classes. I also recommend you check out the many free YouTube videos made by Massad Ayoob, a world-class instructor in handgun use and self defense, who has recorded training sessions in Judicious Use of Force, Shoot to Live, Home Invasion, Preparation for Home Defense, and What to Do After a Shooting. Just Google his name and these topics and the YouTubes should show up. Very good instructional information from an expert, and free.

Here is a very good technical review of self defense ammo, for when you are ready to consider this:
    http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

This is an informative review by a doctor of different gunshot wounds effects; we all need to be aware of this real-life information:
    http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/08/26/doctor-talks-about-gunshot-wounds/

10. PirateJim

PirateJim New Member

Congratulations on the Shield. I've had a Shield .40 for about a year, great little gun that acts like a big gun. I've got several holsters for it including a Sticky like you showed above. Far and away favorite though is my Lobo Gun Leather enhanced pancake OWB. Living in Florida, a button-down tailored to be worn un-tucked doesn't attract a second look and it covers the holster/Shield perfectly. FAR more comfortable than any IWB I've tried. Some Talon Grips enhance controllability while not making the gun noticeably thicker. (The thinness is, after all, a major positive for the gun.)