Well Balanced Gun Collection Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by k2000k, Aug 8, 2014.

1. k2000k

k2000k New Member

Not exactly sure where this kind of thread should go, so I put it here. I was curious as to your ideal/existing gun collection looks like and what it should consist of. For example, here is a collection of what I have and what I would like to own in the future (italicized):

Firearm
    Remington 870
    Ruger P89
    Kel-tec 380
    Left Handed Stag AR
    1911 Type Pistol
    Colt Python
    M1A
    M1 Garand
    Single Action Revolver
    .22 Rifle
    .22 Pistol

I think it's a pretty well balanced "basic" collection, though a bit light in the shotgun department. Granted, this isn't everything I would like to have, I mean if at all possible I would own every kind of pistol, rifle and shotgun of every caliber/gauge, but I think it does a pretty good job covering practical defense, plinking, history and passing knowledge down through the generations

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

gun collections are as varied as the people who collect and shoot them.

my collection is a bit eclectic and varied itself. i like all sorts of different guns, but the bulk of my rifles are bolt action centerfires a the bulk of my pistols are 1911's. those are where i lean towards when i think about buying another gun.

i think my of us have wish lists of guns we would like to have or those next in line to be bought. i do as well. i have some that are what i call targets of opportunity. those are some i would like to own and if i ever ran across them at the right time and price, i would buy them. some are those i'd like to have someday, but most i run across are priced higher than i would pay to own one. some i would like to own simply for the fun they would be to own and shoot with no practical purpose whatsoever.

some people build their collections around a certain type of gun or a certain brand of gun. some buy and use just what they feel suits their particular needs. one pistol for SD, a couple of rifles for hunting and maybe a shotgun that doubles for hunting and SD usage.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

K2000

The collection looks fine and the items you want. However Stag is a good quality rifle but I would prefer the Rock River Arms Left handed models. Simply because it is a true left hand rifle even to and including the Ejection Port Cover (Dust Cover). The Stag Ejection Port Cover flips up not down like the original ARs. Both are top quality ARs. And you certainly can not go wrong with the Springfield M1 A Rifles. I have a couple of them! One with a Scope and one with Iron Sights only that I use for instructing. But one can never have too many in their collection! ;)

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Yours is a well rounded listing. As Axxe said it is all personal preference. I think that a well rounded collection would only have to have a few work guns. Others certainly would have different criteria, but this is my minimum, and the best quality you can afford:

.12 Ga. pump shotgun
    magazine or tube fed .22 lr rifle, bolt or semi-auto
    semi-auto center-fire pistol
    Semi-auto, magazine fed, center-fire rifle.

After those four, the sky is the limit. :)

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

My collection is incomplete. I always need just one more. :D

6. Axxe55

if you had said your collection was complete, i'd have came and taken your Man Card away from you!:p

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm not sure what direction my collection is going yet. Is tracking towards 1911's? Could it go the route of 22's? Who knows.

Collections are whatever you want them to be.

8. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

In my opinion a well balanced collection is 1 rifle 1 shotgun And a semi auauto pistol. One of each type if you will.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

If I read your list right you currently have 3 guns. Two semi-auto pistols and a pump shotgun. You're want list looks good except I would remove the Colt Python. Price is too high for the beginning collector trying to amass firearms. More of a vanity buy for later in a collection. A S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100 will serve you well at a third of the price. Move the .22s up a little higher on you're list. Nobody should be without a good .22 pistol as a training tool for a cheaper price than the centerfire handguns.

Put some money aside for reloading equipment. We may be coming out of the current shortage but if Hillary wins the WH in 2016 we'll see Version 3.0 and it will make the last two shortages look like minor irritations.

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

String posted pictures of some of his collection once. I coveted. :eek:

11. Axxe55

you coveted. i drooled!:eek:

12. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

For fighting with?

A AK-47, AK-74, or AR-15.

A .30 caliber semi-automatic rifle with a telescopic sight. There are a plethora of AR-10's, FAL's, G3's, M-14's, SCAR-17's, and various AK style rifles to choose from. High end bolt action rifles may be surgically precise, but not generally useful for fighting with unless you are a trained and equipped sniper.

The shotgun may be useful for hunting, but no military in the world uses them in lieu of rifles or carbines. Pistols have always been backup weapons in military use. If you can afford to own a pistol and train with it, that's great. If not, it's not absolutely necessary.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Is like a really balance collection. So, my ideal would be one of each please.

14. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

How can you have a collection with no Mosin's ???

15. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

want/have in my collection
    Shotguns in 410 & 12 ga. various barrel lengths and smooth & rifled bore
    Rimfires : .17 HMR, .22 tube, .22 detachable magazine.
    Centerfire: 30-06 bolt action, 30-06 pump. .45-70 guide gun (lever action)
    MILSURP WWI, WWII, Bolt actions: O3A3, VZ27, M38 etc.
    AR platform: A10 in 308, (I'm not a big 5.56 fan but I would not get rid of it if I got ahold of it)

I wish to get a hold of a reliable sidearm but I really don't want to buy one and find it doesn't fit and sell it for less than I paid and repeat the process until I find the one I want ( yes I've shot a couple different ones, but not close enough together to compare my preference), Thats what I get for starting so late and being a working poor.

16. k2000k

k2000k New Member

Haha that's what one of my buddies said. The other asked why no Mauser, Ennfield or Springfield. I would love to have them, and my list is by no means is comprehensive. I guess this would be the priorities. I will be getting an AR before the end of the year and a 1911 shortly after that (oh how I covet both of them) but after that it could be a while. Getting married this fall, saving up for a house (in Seattle of all places :() and the fiancee has baby rabies something fierce, so I probably won't be buying firearms too often. So realistically I probably won't complete this list until I get to my mid forties a decade and a half from now.

I also reserve the right to change my mind at anytime. Your mentioning the Mosin has gotten me thinking about when I held onto my buddies SKS w/ bayonet back when he had to work in California.

17. Axxe55

simple. invest in precious metals and wood! buy steel, lead and copper!

buy more guns!:D

18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Looks fine. If I were to change one thing, I'd leave one Garand on the list. Instead, double down on the .357 magnum revolver, because you will not shoot your prized Python much. Most likely a S&W 586/686 or a Ruger GP100.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There is owning a "basic battery" of guns, and there is collecting. And for a collection, there is no balance. Depends on what YOU want to collect.

Mine is heavily weighted in .22 Mossbergs and Remingtons from the 1940s and 50's. Of little interest to the folks that really don't care about the difference between a Mossberg 152 and a 151K.

Some folks collect double shotguns. They drool over Foxes and Bakers, Westley Richardsons and Purdeys. They could give a hoot about an AR.

Some folks like military arms- They want one of everything used in WW 2. They would sniff at a mint Colt Python.

Comes down to the "Tastes great, less filling" debate. Depends on what floats YOUR boat. BTW, you oughta see the S&W K-38 I found!!!! :D

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have all the guns I need, and all the guns I want, until I go to a show, or pawn, or gun shop. The damn things just keep following me home. My wife quit asking if I had enough a long time ago.