Weldable AR recievers

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by stoneam2006, Feb 27, 2014.

1. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

Anybody have exp with these kits. Jack squats has them for 25$ just wondered if anybody had used them.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Not entirely sure what your talking about. There are demil'd full auto receivers sold as decorative pieces or scrap restoring them is illegal. Not sure if that's what these are as you didn't include a link

3. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

Yes those are them sorry didn't think about posting a link I have done the 80% rec that had to have mill work done

4. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I don't see any instructions on what type of welding equipment needed what type of rods to use or anything. Do you have experience welding and any equipment?

5. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

What do you think is the benefits over a regular forged 80 percent lower?

Looks like a lot more work

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

6. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

Yes I am a welder/ machnist by trade. I would think a tig would but see no reason why a mig wouldn't work with proper prep.

7. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

As far as a diy project the weld would be a lot easier as many people have welders but the 80% that needs trigger pocket milled requires a nice milling machine and a 80-100$ n-mill to do the job so unless you have access to this equipment not really ideal

8. seancslaughter

Yeah to me that looks like. 60% receiver and possibly a hazard especially if you have limited experience welding or limited equipment it doesn't specify whether you need mig, tig, stick or what type of rod to use plus you still need to do some milling anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

Not so much milling as drilling and tapping. And that's a lot easier as a home build

10. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

IMO I've done the other receivers along with ak parts kits builds and a few other project builds

11. seancslaughter

I would just grab an 80% and do the milling it's easier and a solid piece of metal will always be stronger than welded together metal pieces. I mean I used to be a welder myself and I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing that i believe

12. seancslaughter

I guess if your confident then do it what's the most your out $25

13. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

True the strength would be greater for sure but is the pressure in the receiver greater than what a 70 series wire ot rod could handle I mean its 70000# tensile strength. What I've seen used on pressure vessels. I am no gun builder by any means but would like to take up as another hobby of mine so I appreciate picking all your brains for info.

14. seancslaughter

Shoot if your gonna do a welding build I would start with an ak as the tolerances are looser than an ar. Or grab one of the other kits he has like an freakin Uzi lol

15. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

Lol yea I've actually helped with a de- milled 1919 semi build before and that went good worked properly and never had problems.....I actually build bobbers and choppers as my main hobby and never had issue with those cracking while riding or anything. That what I figured for 25$ can't really go wrong if it don't pan out.

16. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I do my 80 percent on a drill press it's not that hard at all.
    You said you're a machinist to which would mean you have access to a mill correct. that would even make it even easier.
    With a mill you could prob be done in a half hour for the drill press about 3 hours.
    strength is not an issue they also make them out of plastic.

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

17. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

I do have access to a mill but not for home use I work for big company and can't really get away with that. I am going to try one and will post pics along the line of completion. Anything else I should look out for......EZ how do you do the trigger pocket on a drill press if you don't mind sharing

18. seancslaughter

I haven't gotten to the point in life where I can do that yet I have limited tools and I'm a renter so I have no work area and I have young children so my money goes towards them mostly so no toys for daddy lol

19. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

Lol that why I'm pretty interested in this 25$ receiver I also have kids and not a lot of extra cash to play with but have always wanted a AR I sold my aks and fun non hunting use guns when I got married and had kids lol responsibilities wouldn't have it any other way