Weird fte

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by austin92, Aug 11, 2019.

1. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

My brass never needs much trimming, I use this lee set up[​IMG]
    I don’t want to let it get too long and jam the mouth into the chamber causing a pressure spike. Why don’t you guys trim?

The one time this issue stopped the gun it was trying to grab the next round. The nose was halfway up the feed ramp.

I ordered a factory replacement spring from s&w, should be here tomorrow.

Wambli likes this.
  2. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

only pistol brass I would think that needs triming might be magnum rounds if you are loading them hot.
    I've never trimmed anything but rifle brass myself.
    I've checked with a calipers and case gage.

Caveman Jim and Wambli like this.

3. austin92

Recoil spring didn’t fix it. Might try the apex extractor and new spring

towboater likes this.
  4. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Is the ejector in good shape?

5. austin92

Nothing appears to be broken

6. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

7. austin92

Yeah, I’m not seeing the issue and I don’t know why the xtp reloads make it worse. It feeds critical duty’s just like fmj’s

towboater likes this.
  8. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Well the extractor is the next logical step in the troubleshooting so you are headed in the right direction.

9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member Supporter

I’d send it in if under warranty.

freefall likes this.
  10. austin92

Yeah, I never ordered the extractor. Plan to send it in eventually. Since this is my edc and it’s feeding critical duty’s the same as the flat points I’m going to hold on to it until I can buy another M&p. I want a core or performance center threaded barrel 9mm or 357 sig. I like the idea of a 5” barrel too. Just something a little more fancy than the standard 2.0. Current one is the original, I guess 1.0

Caveman Jim likes this.
  11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a solid plan, just dread that you’re going to need it to preform and it doesn’t.
    Good luck

12. austin92

I’m not carrying the same ammo that stopped the gun. Even then it only stopped it once.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. austin92

Tried a few rounds after replacing the extractor and spring. It’s still swiping the case mouth across the frame on its way out. No stoppages though. Noticed faint ejector marks on the head stamp of some cases, nothing extreme. I just need to get it sent in....

14. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Let me complete your sentence for you. You left out some important information. There's NOTHING wrong with case trimming, as long as you don't go below the minimum case length limit. O.A.L. does need to be measured before and then after case trimming. Especially with cases that headspace on the mouth of the case. A digital caliper works best for most serious reloaders.
    A "too-long", or stretched, case from firing and resizing, can and will, hang up as in the picture. Any good reloading manual will have the required dimensions as needed.

Rifling82 and towboater like this.
  15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you tried different magazines?

16. austin92

I have 3 that I rotate but this seams to be an ejection issue to me

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  17. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

That's my logic also. Ejection & extraction rather than a feeding problem. I'm befuddled as to how that issue could even possibly be magazine related?

towboater likes this.
  18. austin92

Right now it’s still reliable, I’m probably just going to buy a 2.0 or fns soon and send it in. All I shoot out of this is my hand loads which I load to the upper end of things since it’s for self defense. I have never seen pressure signs or exceeded published data from my manuals. Hell, sometimes I see soot around the mouth as if it’s under pressured lol. New recoil spring and guide rod, new extractor and spring, same issue, I’m stumped. I have wondered if the ejector is slightly bent upwards though. That could cause the case mouth to exit lower than it should if my thinking is right? I don’t want to go prying on things though....

towboater likes this.
  19. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

Have you been leaving the mags filled? I haven't heard of a lot of issues with M&P mags, but I do have a S&W auto-loader mag with a wonky spring, so it does happen. They claim mag springs don't get "crushed", and in a world where bean counters aren't scrimping on every mil, this may be true, but I've found that a good set of Wolff mag springs usually works wonders.

That said, in general, it's probably not best to cram every round you can into a double stack mag, and just leave it that way, for years on end.

20. austin92

Bought a brand new s&w mag yesterday just to rule that out. Exact same issue.