Weird fte

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by austin92, Aug 11, 2019.

1. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This happened the other day. Lot of casings had nicks on the mouth like it was trying to do this frequently. I’ve shot similar reloads with out this happening. It’s a full size m&p 40. As my carry gun, it gets pretty dirty, never had an issue. I usually target practice with 180gr. These were 180gr plated flat points with 8gr of longshot, seated at 1.125 with a lee factory crimp. The last reloads I ran were 155gr with 9.5gr of longshot, same col, no issues. I cleaned the gun and bought some federal ammo to do testing. I just don’t understand. I’ve ran the gun dirty, ran 180gr reloads and factory ammo, ran that same powder and col, all with no issues. I’m extremely meticulous when I reload yet there were some casings landing at my feet and others going 10’. I’ll report back tomorrow with what I find out.

2. austin92

Starting to think it’s the gun. I detail cleaned it and it dented the case mouth on factory federal ammo, my plated 180gr reloads, and nicked the mouth pretty good on xtp 180gr reloads. I really don’t want to send it in.... :([​IMG] left to right, 180gr factory federal, 180gr plated flat nose reload, 180gr xtp reload (worst one, didn’t stop the gun). Federal has a small soot mark around the out side of the mouth.

Time for a 2.0? This one is probably 7 years old with 6k+ rounds through it

towboater likes this.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Try changing the recoil spring.

4. austin92

Any recommendation on blue vs green vs aftermarket? Seems like lots of listings show blue for 9 and 40. Mine currently has green, manufactured 2012-13

towboater likes this.
  5. Gatoragn

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    towboater, Les Moore and SGWGunsmith like this.
  6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Austin
    My question is have you shot flat nose rounds in it before. One of my 1911s will not work properly with them but will eat everything else! It has to do with the angle of the flat on the bullet. Bullets with more radiused sides will also work most of the time. That is why I shoot round ball ammunition for target and Hornady Critical Defense in it for personal protection. No problems at all! The other thought is could it be a magazine issue with certain rounds?

7. Gatoragn

8. austin92

All I’ve ever shot out of it is flat nose, it’s what most factories use. Also not the first time I’ve reloaded flat nose for it, but it has seen round nose a long time ago. It does the same thing between magazines which I also cleaned. It’s not having issues feeding, it’s doing something while ejecting. My lee manual is where I got 8gr for the xtp bullets and since the plated flat noses are shorter I should have less pressure with them. No pressure signs

Gatoragn likes this.
  9. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Lighter recoil spring by 2 lbs or so. If it doesn't work, I'm sorry.

10. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member Supporter

Does the slide lock back when the last round is fired? If so recoil spring is not too
    heavy. Replace the recoil spring just because. Take a hard look at the extractor.
    Remove it, check the spring and check the hook for a chip broken out or wear.
    Check the ejector for a broken tip. Make sure the chamber is absolutely clean.
    You are running a hot load. Check locking block, barrel lug etc. for cracks/battering.
    It ran fine before, something has changed. Finding that something can be a challenge!

towboater and Gatoragn like this.
  11. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Reloads. Does that mean you've sized those cases in a sizing die? What does the over-all-case-length measure after those cases have sized?

And as another thought, how does your pistol run with factory ammunition?

12. Gatoragn

Since you are on the high end of the powder range, a bit heavier spring might be appropriate, if available.

towboater likes this.
  13. noylj

noylj Member

Too heavy a charge, the slides slams back. Too heavy a recoil spring, the slide slams forward too fast for the case to have time to eject.
    Contact manufacturer and ask for their input.

towboater likes this.
  14. austin92

Slide does lock back on empty mag, ordered factory s&w new recoil spring already.

I examined the extractor and ejector, but not under a microscope.

I didn’t see any chipping or cracks around the barrel lug.

I am at max charge but it did the same thing at starting loads and on factory federal ammo.

towboater likes this.
  15. austin92

Yes, they are all resized and checked in a Lyman headspace gauge, trimmed if needed. 1.125 COL. Lee factory crimp die does a final sizing check too.

Does the same thing on factory federal ammo that the flat nose reloads do but neither has stopped the gun like the xtp loads did that one time.

towboater likes this.
  16. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wondering. Is that Lee crimp die a "roll crimp" or "taper crimp" die?

towboater likes this.
  17. austin92

Taper

18. noylj

noylj Member

This is a .40, it looks like. All cases are too small and trimming just increases the head-space gap and is detrimental to accuracy. The slide is simply closing while the case is still trying to eject.

towboater likes this.
  19. Gatoragn

Good point, I never trim pistol brass.

towboater and Caveman Jim like this.
  20. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Is it picking up a fresh round from the mag when it does this? Assuming not. If so then you slide is not getting a full cycle and returning too fast for the expended round to fully eject. Usually happens with weak loads but a worn out recoil spring will cause havoc with cycling. I’d call Wolff and talk it over with their folks.

towboater likes this.