Weight Loss

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by doctherock, May 21, 2011.

1. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Just wanted to post this for all of you looking to shed a few pounds. This site is the bomb and in less than a week I have dropped 5 pounds. Any questions on how to use it PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

My 22 year old daughter has been heavy her whole life and in less then 2 months has shed 20 plus pounds.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Come on fellas and ladies this is quite a good site. I officially started watching my caloric intake 1 week ago and I'm down 6 pounds officially.

3. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Congrats Doc! How does it work mate?

4. MGH

MGH New Member

Very cool site.:cool:

I've wanted to be able to do this for a while. Thanks!

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Input your current weight and then you set a weight loss goal. It computes your calorie intake per day. You look up the food and input the amount you ate. It does all the math. I have lost six pounds so far. Cool thing is it accounts for your workouts and takes that off your calory max for the day. Importance is put on eating say 1800 calories a day. If you work out and burn more off you have to take more in to keep from going into survival mode where the body starts eating muscle mass.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Im doctherock on there as well. Add me as a friend and you can look at how I account for my intake and exercise.

7. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

That does sound cool Doc. Just be wary of the survival mode thing though, I've always been taught that the body will only use protein as a fuel source after it's carbohydrate and fat stores had been depleted. This will usually only occur after 6-8 hours of high-intensity, but still aerobic activity without refueling. To start burning fat as a fuel, the body needs to have been working aerobically for over ~40mins.

PM me if you like and I can explain the energy systems in a bit more detail, a good understanding will help with weight loss.

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Thanks for the link Doc, I'm going to give this a try and see where I need to make adjustments and improvements.

According to the plan I should have 20lbs off within the next 8wks :eek: That would be great as I haven't been able to drop that much weight in a long ling time :eek:

9. MGH

MGH New Member

Friend request sent.:cool:

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Friend request accepted.

Aus I am in aerobic mode for most of my workday. I then come home, hit the wii and do other crap to make me sweat my a$$ off. Its a great program and I cant wait to shed my old beer fat.

11. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

Ahh, sorry bout that :eek:

Never mind then! :p

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Its all good brother. I'm taking a cheat day though as a big ribeye steak has my name on it.

13. MGH

MGH New Member

Wait, so does walking count as Aerobic Then? I walk for 8 hours mon. thru fri.:)

14. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

It does, but it's not intense enough for the body to start breaking itself down. You'd have to be walking at marathon pace :p

15. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Aus, I always thought that the first thing one would metabolize off was the body fat then the muscle mass after the body fat was diminished. Then after awhile the body goes into the starvation mode where the body, for lack of better words, trains itself to keep and store fat more than it usually would otherwise. Thats why alot of folks that go on starvation diets usually gain more weight after they go off those diets. Am I close on this theory?

16. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

The first source that the body converts into energy when it is using the aerobic energy system is glucose in the blood and after that, glucogen stored in the muscles. Glucogen is the body's way of storing carbohydrates that are ingested from your diet. The glucogen stores in the muscle last for approximately 40 mins when participating in moderate-intensity aerobic workout. As a point of reference, if you can carry out a normal conversation, you're not working in this zone.

After this point, yes the body starts to metabolise fats, and a long time after, protein in the muscles. You are partially right about the starvation diet; if the body does not receive adequate calories to perform it's basic functions such as breathing, thinking, digestion, etc (between 1200-1500cal for gals, 1500-2000cal for guys), the next time it does receive above that number, it stores all of the excess energy as fat, not as carbohydrate. This is due to the fact that fats are much more energy-rich than carbohydrates when metabolised. Starvation diets are extremely unhealthy, and frequently lead to more weight being put back on that what was originally lost.