Weed Eaters

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, Jul 21, 2009.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

So i just bought a lawn tractor and now I need a weed eater. I've been using my dad's but he needs it back soon. I can not believe the cost of a freaking weed eater. I don't want crap equipment, I know the value of quality gear and I'm willing to pay for it but $300 + for a decent(read as not the lowe's or home depot model) Stihl, Echo or Huskvarna seems a bit nuts. I mean, I may have to cut into firearm funds to purchase this thing which ticks me off.
    Nothing good used here locally. Sure I can pick up the 3 year old Ryobi that has been running a year longer then ever intended for $50 but it wont make it thru the end of the summer.

Sorry guys, I'm ranting....I'll stop now. If anyone knows of a good weedeater for sale...

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Attached Files:

3. spittinfire

Then I would have to build a fence which would cost me a couple grand at least. I'll take the weed eater.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

When i lived in Memphis at this one duplex, i mowed the entire back yard with a 12" electric weedeater from Home Depot. I do not recommend it. I do appreciate the simplicity of a plug-in electric motor. Find one that will let you attach the little serrated plastic blades rather than string.

Goats can get up on your car & scuff the paint up; they also have MUCH stinkier exhaust than even the nastiest 2 cycle weedeater. On the plus side, they probably taste much better than a string trimmer.

5. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

I always revert to the adage "you get what you pay for". It will hurt a little more now, but you'll be happy you spent it in the long run. Go for the Echo. I bought one about 10-11 years ago and all I've had to replace was the primer bulb and gas tank grommet. Still going strong.

6. spittinfire

I'm leaning towards Echo. My dad has a 25 year old SRM2200 that has had the following: 2 heads, 2 spark plugs and 1 primer bulb. Starts with 2 or 3 pulls every time.

7. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

I got a Troy-Bilt 4 cycle at Lowe's for $189. It's a straight shaft. A little heavy but, it's better so far than the little Walmart weedeaters. I also got a blade that cuts small brush pretty good.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I have an Echo with the 2 handles and harness. It came with 2 heads; one is a blade head that cuts saplings up to 2-1/2" dia with a single blow. Friggin awesome and manly enough to handle my immense trimming duties. I don't know the model number off hand, but I do know it is at $300+ right now at the majors. Heavy, thus the chest and waist harness. Imo, one bad arse machine! :D

9. WDB

WDB New Member

+1 on the Troy Bilt 4 cycle, no mixing gas/oil. Mine is a TB415CS and I've had it for a couple of years, easy to start, fairly lite and doesn't bog down.

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Why not buy a new Ryobi? I've had one for 12 years and it works great. Straight shaft and it even came with a blade for cutting brush and saplings...I paid $169 back in '97. I haven't even changed the spark plug!

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Same here, 8 years, cost me around $140 on e-bay but I have the one that accepts different attachments. But I do have an Echo backup, just in case. :)

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Mine has the two piece shaft also, for attachments - I should have bought them back in '97, 'cause I can't find any attachments now! They had all kinds of shiit for it, even a "snow blower"...:eek: I would probably buy an Echo or Troy bilt if my Ryobi ever breaks. I wanted to buy another to do the road frontage on my business property, because it's covered with poison ivy, and the last time I used my Ryobi and then brought it home I got that **** all over me. I cheaped out and saw a "scythe" for $20 at Tractor Supply and bought it instead....what a mistake! I don't play golf, and my forearms don't look like Popeye - yet...

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Get some rock salt, lots of it & later some rocks to cover the bare earth.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK I am going to lay it out for you real easy like. I currently own a Troy built 4 cycle. It is sweet has lots of attachemnts for it and it is nice not having to mix gas. Now That being said it is my 3 and final one. It is heavy and after about an hour of trimming my back is tore up for at least two days. It takes 15 minutes to warm up even on an 80* morning. First one blew up in two weeks. Second one clutch went out after one season. I had a weed eater that was ok until the carb blew out and it puked a pint of gas in the middle of my lawn. As soon as this one craps out I am buying an Echo or Stihl. Cut and dry. Spend that $300 on an Echo or stihl and laugh in the face of your neighbors when they are pulling and pulling on theres to get it started. I own a blower and yard vac that is an echo. Even on a day that was cold as hell snowing and wind blowing 20mph it took three pumps of the primer setting the choke and one pull on my Echo to get it going. Yes I was trying to blow the snow off my driveway. Spring and summer I pump the primer three times and pull the starter cords and varoooom I am off and blow the entire hood (KNOCK IT OFF YOU PERVERTS).

I have run stihls for 10 hours a day for 6 days a week. All I ever needed to do was change the plug once a year and keep it filled with gas mixed right. This was no ordinaty weed wackin either I was suckering trees in an orchard. So it was hard work that required good equipment. I even ran over the thing and it still worked ran and would still cut like a hot knife in butter.

I am of the thinking that you pay for good equipment once. Weed eater, troy-built, lowes, home depot brands are all made by MTD. Even other like black and decker are made by MTD.

If you are looking for a quality string trimmer for working around the house on saturday and that get an Echo SRM-230 for $279.00 from Home Depot. IF you want a stihl then go for the FS 56 RC-E It is $239.99 at my local saw shop.

Don't go messing around with them crapy models at Home Depot, Lowes or walmart.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That Ryobi will still take the expand it attachments I believe.

16. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Are the attachments still available? About the only worthwhile one is the pruning/hedge trimmer attachment. I would be laughed out of town if I ever walked outside with a snow blower attachment on my weedwhacker..

17. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

LOL - that's my next plan - I wasted $30 on a defolient that didn't even kill the grass! Some a$$hole down the road has a hillside that, during the last two elections, mowed Kerry's and Obama's name in 20' letters across his hillside...I always wanted to buy a few bags of rock salt and write "FUC%" in front of "Obama"...it would be there long after Obama leaves office!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  18. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

I guess Im just a cheap bas#ard. I bought a yard man from walmart. Ive had it for seven years. Starts on the second or third pull. Im a Diesel mechanic, and the way I see it is as long as you take care of the equipment it should last a while. If you let it go it is going to break. I change the plug and air filter every season, and put a little extra oil in the gas.

19. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I'm a cheap bastard too, but with this new "ultra-low sulphur" diesel crap I'm spending a fortune by buying a gallon a week of Marvel Mystery Oil to add to my trucks fuel tanks.. so I don't have to go to the diesel mechanic for an engine rebuild!:D

20. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

I dont like that low sulfer shiznit either. I drive a powerstroke. I also add mystery oil. I will tell you the enginers say the engines are designed to run on that crap, but I dont trust it yet.