Webley 1915 MK VI .455 Revolver

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by varifleman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. varifleman

varifleman Member

Here for your perusal is Webley .455 MK VI revolver serial number 160744 still in original .455 caliber accepted into service in 1915. Broad Arrow military property mark and inspection mark seen on rear of cylinder.

Attached Files:

2. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I always wanted one after I read a series of books where the main character (a former sas trooper) uses one

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not the most elegant of wheel guns, but still very cool. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice! Ever since I bought a Nagant pistol a few years back, I have wanted to start collecting some of the other "Ugly Ducklings" of handguns. Webleys are high on that list.

5. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Good grief, where did you dig that thing up from?

Looks like it's been through a couple world wars.

It's held up pretty well so far, though, judging by the photos.

6. varifleman

varifleman Member

Got it on Gunbroker a while ago. It does look like it's been through both World Wars but the bore has mirror finish and excellent rifling.

7. samnev

samnev New Member

They are also great shooters and ammo is still available for them.

8. lewwallace

lewwallace Member

Here's a pair of Vs in my collection. Military and Civilian models!

Attached Files:

9. Pounce

Pounce New Member

I got a couple of Nagants also. Did you know that (as far as I know) they are the only revolver made to be able to accept a suppressor?
    The gas seal makes that possible. They feel great in the hand too although pretty much under powered.

10. kfox75

Close. any revolver will accept one, but I think it's the only one that it would work on. :p

Yes, I did know that, and it's actually something I've been thinking over now that I live in a state that doesn't regulate forearms to the point of uselessness. I have 2 dealers in my area i can go through, and i'm now trying to decide between getting one for the .22s or one in .30 cal. Also have to decide on which of the 4 Nagants to thread if I decide to go for it. I want to keep at least 2 as close to original as possible, as i've seen what happened with the older milsurp rifles that got sporterized in the 50s and 60s, and what it did to the value of said rifles.

It's a back burner project for now, right alongside my SBS out of a 20 ga. double project. Someday I'll do the paperwork, and get around to it. Still figuring out the list for the trust, and waiting on dad to retire and move out of NY.

11. Pounce

Pounce New Member

Yea, I guess you can put one any revolver, but as you stated,the Nagant is the 'only' one that it would be feasible. I only have two and they will stay as is. Jeeezzz...to legally purchase a suppressor is a lot of trouble, for me. The main concern for me at least is the $$$$$!
    NY......I got out of Jersey several (28) yrs ago. That tri-state area + other states are not very 2nd amendment Constitutional sates. Among other stupid laws.

A real shame so many (very collectable now) Mil surpls got sporterized,destroyed etc. But....who knew?

Good luck with yer projects. Fun..fun!

And no offense about the clip-mag posts. Just my opinion.

12. kfox75

None taken. :cheers:

13. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

I inherited a Webley from my father, who shot .45 ACP in it with a half-moon clip. The latch (?) that releases the cylinder for loading broke and was easily replaced. Perhaps the .45 ACP is too hot, don't know. It had a single-shot .22 adapter with it that replaced the cylinder. He bought it at Montgomery Wards in the 60's for $20. I mention the use of .45 ACP's in the Webley because of the problem he had.

14. You are correct in your surmise, Your Sheriffness. .45 ACP is too high pressure a cartridge. (It feels very strange to write .45 ACP is too high pressure...) Not the blow out the cylinder and topstrap too hot, but beat up the gun real quick too hot.

I have one of the early 'bird head grip' Webleys. It was already cut for .45 ACP, which means it will use .45 Auto Rim cases as well. I load a very mild load with 255 grain bullets for .45 Colt. The original loading was a 260 grain hollow base round nose lead affair at about 625 fps. That will still penetrate one's cloak and bend heck out of one's dagger.

Neat old guns and a great bit of history. Sherlock Holmes and all that.

15. lewwallace

lewwallace Member

The Sherlock Holms reference is a bit off. Wason mentioned as having a 'Bulldog', different dog/model altogether. 450cf. Wouldn't want to take a shot from either! :)

16. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

We used half-moon clips to shoot the .45 ACP's, The gun was pretty neat, but babies came along and ...well you guys know how that goes.