Weaver or Isosceles?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by HighSpeed, Dec 24, 2010.

1. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Which do you prefer and why?

Eta: Could a mod add a poll to this? I posted before I clicked on the 'add poll' button... :confused:

1. Weaver
    2. Isosceles
    3. Other

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

whichever form allows you to hit the target the best.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You can still add a poll. Just hit edit and advanced and add your poll.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

this is a common one

[​IMG]

but this is the one i use

[​IMG]

if you think this guy is a joke:

it goes back to my original point use what works for you

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Guess i'm old fashioned-
    If i have time i actually use my sights-(in a upright position :p)
    If need be i "point" & shoot :rolleyes:

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

the weaver stance gives less target area in a life and death fight. as you are slightly turned.

The Isosceles you are facing the the target with both shoulders and feet pointed at it. This is giving the largest amount of skin for the opfor to shoot you with.

Again what ever works for you.

I prefer the weaver to a point.

Here is a picture of my son. He is shooting the way I prefer to shoot a pistol.

[​IMG]

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

not sure how i missed that thread. that was one amazing guy.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Stance is not important...whatever get the sights on target is what matters...

10. SecPro

SecPro New Member

That there is how I also shoot. I tried to teach the wife to shoot in this manner but she is lets say "top heavy", so she does a modified version of this.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I think you also have to remember. Standing in full view and shooting in a life and death situation is going to get you dead.

You should be moving sideways and away looking and seeking cover. Cover is going to be your best friend.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would like to add the only firearms i can think of that a "stance" can be done wrong is shooting big bore rifles as in .416 and up. typically you stand square to your target and stand straight up. try to soak up the recoil like using a 12ga shotgun and your gonna hurt really bad. my 458 winmag dislocated a guys collarbone when he didnt listen, didnt shoulder the rifle correctly and tried to absorb the recoil.

other than something like that its just whatever works for you to get the bullets on target.

13. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I use a modified Weaver & Isosceles (push / pull) stance.

With off side large finger on the front of trigger guard.

Old fashioned, but works for me.

:cool:

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41NYBHkb9M]YouTube - 700 Nitro Express[/ame]

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats cool didnt know they came in bolt action. the only ones ive ever seen were double rifles like the second one he shot. he had pretty decent form. ive only fired a 700 once and it was like saddling up a thunderbolt. but overall i still find 338winmag 7mm mag and similar rounds more unpleasent. big heavy slow bullets the recoil is more like a shove while smaller very fast bullets is a sharp punch.

best analogy is i would rather get pushed by mike tyson than punched by bruce lee

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'm most accurate when using the Isoceles stance. However, in a gunfight, I'm not going to check the batter's box before I swing. The topic of point-shooting usually winds up with a mod putting a padlock icon on the thread, so I'm not going to sing it's praises, but I will say that it can be done effectively, particularly in close. Two-handed, strong handed, and weak-handed. "Jelly" won because dead guys aren't good shots, and there's something to be said for getting 3 or 4 rounds downrange before the other guy. You never get to decide what is going to happen, so practice everything. Making one ragged hole from a Weaver stance at 45' is nice, but if your strong arm has been broken by a bullet, you'd better be competent with your weak hand.

17. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

What do I prefer and what do I think seems like it would work well?-Weaver.What do I use,I use Isosolese because I suck in weaver,don't know why,but when I stand straight I shoot straight.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Remember that cover and concealment are two different things. One protects you, the other hides you.

If you practice one stance, and get it perfect, guess wihich stance you will be taking when you should be doing some other.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Our philosophy has changed over the last 25 years. Weaver does make you a slightly smaller target, but the available target is more vital.

If you are bladed to the right, your left arm pit/side is exposed. A single bullet can take out both lungs and heart/aorta. If you are wearing body armor, you have exposed the seam and rendered the armor all but useless.

If you are facing the threat (Iscosoles), your armor covers more of your vitals. Even w/o armor, a single bullet has fewer vitals organs it can damage.

I would rather not get shot, but would much rather take one in the lung that one in the side that completely traverses the thorax.

20. freefall

freefall New Member

Good point Robo. I practice in Weaver because I'm an old dog who started shooting in the '70s and was heavilyb influenced by Jeff Cooper.