Weatherby vs. T/C vs. Browning

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Tjurgensen, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

I'm looking for a new coyote rifle. I'v decided on the caliber: a 25-06, but I cant decide on the rifle. I'll be shooting exclusively moon dogs anywhere from 15 - 400 yards. I'm looking at the T/C Venture synthetic w/blued barrel and reciever. I'v heard of problems with these like the hogue traction panels peeling off and the recent recall on them, but it's the cheapest of the three at $480. The next is a Weatherby Vangaurd S2 synthetic also blued it's listed at $550. The last rifle is a Browning X-Bolt Hunter blued. This one has a satin finished walnut stock and it's listed at $760. I have never owned any of these rifles and have no experience with them so any experience, suggestions, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    ~ TJ

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Not sure on the T?C or the Browning, but I own a Weatherby S2 in 223 and love it. It is my go to gun in crappy weather for small game and outshooting my friends. Is the weatherby 24 inch barrel? (most are) and the 25 caliber will be able to burn up all that powder better than a shorter barrel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Weatherby Vanguard is guaranteed to shoot less than a 1" group at 100 yards but it has a hogue stock too. All the rifles you have selected are fine rifles. You need to select the rifle that fits you. Just because I like the rifle doesn't mean you will like it. You need to do the legwork so you can handle the rifles.

4. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

Yes all three have a 24" inch barrel and a 1-10" twist.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Then I'd do as John says and hold each one and feel which one fits best for ya and how the action and safeties work. And how your cheek fits on the stock. All 3 are fine rifles and will outlast you.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'll throw out a suggestion for you to give some consideration. the Marlin XL7 in 25-06. MSRP is about $390, but many times you can get them for much less. i paid about $375 for mine.

the X7 series have very good accuracy, an adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stock, an excellent recoil pad and are a pure pleasure to shoot. plus with the money saved, you can spend a little more on the scope.

just something for you to consider. none of the other choices you listed are bad choices by any means, just trying to give you another option to check out.

7. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

Thanks Axxe but I actually have an X7 in a 22-250 and I dont like haveing two of the same gun. But I do agree with you, I do love that gun.

8. Axxe55

i understand. i have three of the X7's and love them. a XL7C in 25-06, a XS7 in 7mm-08 and the XS7VH in 308, which is probably just like your 22-250.

i still want the XS7S in 243 though!

9. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

Yeah my 22-250 is the VH model but it isn't stainless. I didn't know they made the Heavy barrel in stainless.

10. Axxe55

they don't as far as i know. they do make the sporter models in stainless though.

XS7 is the blued short action models
    XL7 is the blued long action models
    X7C is the factory camo dipped stocks
    X7S is the sporter models in stainless steel barrels and actions.
    X7Y is the youth model, in 243, 7mm-08, 308, and 223.
    XS&VH is the 26" heavy barrel model in 22-250, 223 and 308.

11. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

Oh I see thanks for the info.

12. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

Axxe, if you'd be interested I'm looking to sell my Marlin X7HV in .22-250.

13. Axxe55

i had considered getting the 22-250, before they brought out the 223 version. and with having all that brass from my AR, i would have a steady supply of brass for reloading in 223. but thank you anyways. much appreciated though.:D

14. Salvo

Salvo New Member

If you can afford it, the Browning is one of those "you get what you pay for" deals. - You pay for a lot more than just the name, it really is an outstanding rifle, well worth what they ask.

I would second the advice about picking them all up and seeing how they feel though. If one of the other guns feels better, then that's what I would go with. How the gun feels is most important, as all of the guns mentioned here are great shooters.

15. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

My Browning is picky as hell, not inaccurate but crazy picky, it won't groups well with ANY factory ammo and only with very specific handloads, I absolutely would not recommend a Browning to anyone who is not an experienced handloader. Maybe mine is a glitch but I had fits with it, I sure did not feel like I got what I paid for. BTW Brownings "customer service" SUCKS!!! Spent hours on the phone getting transferred from department to department getting put on hold each time and never got any help.
    If you do have accuracy problems with your Browning you won't be able to do much about it since Browning seals their barrels on, you can super heat the action to remove the barrel but since the action is extruded metal not machined bar stock you can damage the action beyond repair in the process, most gunsmiths won't attempt it, nobody warrenties their work on them to my knowledge.
    Good fit/finish/feel and I love the design but the severe issues and piss poor customer service make me give the Browning a C.
    If you want an accurate trouble free rifle buy a Winchester or a Tikka mine will drive tacks even with factory loads.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  16. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Your info about the Browning not shooting anything but specific handloads must just be your gun because a friend of mine has one and he shoots Fusion, Cor-Lokt, and Hornady ammo nice small groups. Maybe its the shooter though. I just bought a T/C Venture and so far the biggest group it has shot was 1.007''@100yrds and the smallest was .840''@100yrds. Both were 3 shot groups but I would be willing to bet it would stay moa for more than 3rds. Put your hands on some guns and see what you like and read reviews online and see what the people are saying about the gun they bought.

17. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I can assure you beyond any doubt that the nasty groups that Browning vomited up were not the result of a lackluster shooter behind the trigger. I am sure of that because with the right handloads I can shoot back to back to back sub-MOA groups with it, some held groups half MOA. I tried 140gr Core-Lokts, Fusions, and 139gr Superformance SSTs NONE of them shot a single group under 4" some would not stay on paper at 100 yards, that is some REALLY BAD accuracy. My Browning may very well be a fluke but now that I finally have it shooting good I do like it, just not enough to ever risk going through that again it took me forever to figure out what it would shoot with. In contrast my Tikka shot .75" avarage groups first trip to the range with factory ammo, and I had it shooting .3" averages with handloads on my third trip out, no contest the T3 is head and shoulders more accurate with a wide variety of powders/bullets.

18. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Very good friends of mine who own and shoot Browning rifles buy the cheapest off the shelf ammo they can find and they kill deer all season long. I have never witnessed accuracy from a Browning as bad as you claim. If its not you then its your gun. Browning is a damn fine gun and because yours will not shoot well with factory ammunition doesn't mean all Browning rifles wont because they will. You shouldn't be telling people not to buy one if they don't handload, that's crap.

19. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I am very well aware that my inaccurate Browning is a fluke, but that fluke seems to becoming more common as of late from what my friends have been telling me. Their customer service department really is the worst I have ever dealt with though. They really did taint my experience with their company.
    Aside from customer service and accuracy issues here is the good and the bad of the Browning A-Bolt.
    The action is a little rough, it is the least smooth of my five rifles but the short blot throw is great.
    Browning's flip down magazine is the best thing on the market, I prefer it to my detachable mags and my hinged floor plates.
    Browning's recoil pad is thin and not the best recoil reduction device on the market but on my 7mm-08 it is more then adequate.
    Browning's composite stock is very good, head and shoulders above my Savages/Remingtons/Marlin and almost as good as the one on my Tikka. Slim, light, grippy and ergonomic you simply cannot say anything bad about it.
    Browning's trigger is OK, nowhere near Tikka/Savage good but it is passable as a hunting trigger. I have shot worse but I have shot much better too.
    The extruded metal parts are cheesy as can be, I would expect that from some cheap Chinese knock off but I was expecting better from Browning, cutting that corner makes Browning essentially a disposable rifle since re-barreling one costs more then a new rifle, even Savage's budget rifles have machined bar stock actions.

For the record now that I have my A-Bolt shooting like it should it is a handy, light weight, very ergonomic, light kicking deer rifle and I have no plans on getting rid of it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Inaccurate Brownings are not really a fluke. I've never had one that was better than mediocre. I bought a brand new BAR Safari grade in 25-06 a while back and it would not hold a group for nothing. No ammo was any better than another. Ended up selling it. Gorgeous gun though, just looked better than it shot.

I still have an A-Bolt .270 that is just mediocre in accuracy. I'd sell it too except my dad bought it for me.

I also bought one of the limited edition maple T-Bolts in 22lr. It's stunningly beautiful, but accuracy is so-so. The trigger is so heavy that it's hard to tell how accurate the gun really is and there is not enough adjustment on the trigger to help. My CZ will shoot circles around the Browning.

I have owned 3 nice Browning rifles and still have 2 of them. None of them impress me and they are never the first gun I think to grab.

I don't own a Venture, but I do have a TC Encore with a 25-06 barrel and now that gun will flat out shoot!