Weatherby vg1 30-06 or vg2 .308??

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by rtull32, Jul 26, 2012.

1. rtull32

rtull32 New Member

I am in the search for a new rifle, originally I had decided to go with a .308 Weatherby Vanguard series 2. However yesterday I dropped in a few gun shops to see if they had any in stock, our local academy had a 30-06 Vanguard series 1 and I really liked the way it felt in my hands plus it was about 200 bucks less than I could get the series 2 .308. Just wanting some advice and opinions on what I should get. The 30-06 vg 1 or the .308 vg 2. This rifle will be used for all around hunting large and medium sized game along with some range shooting. Basically just an all around rifle.

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm a 30.06 supporter, for general Long Rifle purposes.

Better range, more bullet weights, better reloading

capabilities.

But the .308 is also very popular, and much more economical for

shorter ranges.

3. rtull32

rtull32 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any knowledge or insight on on the Weatherby Vanguard series 1 and 2? Know any key differences etc. I have not been able to find much info on this.

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

On the Gun Nuts last show they did a review of the Vanguard in 30-06. He was very very happy with it. The show is repeated so try a search on sat. or cable. The 30-06 does have more range of bullet weights and shapes.

5. rtull32

rtull32 New Member

Thanks I will go see if I can't find that episode.

6. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

I had TIVOed that episode and watched it just today. It was the featured rifle in the Vanguard series 2, and it was in .308 caliber.

It got rave reviews from Gun Nuts. They especially liked the 3.25# two-stage trigger, and the upgraded composite stock w/ free floated barrel. The price, too, is very reasonable at $489.

They shot a sub 0.5 MOA group.

The only negative, and perhaps not a negative for some, was the weight at 7 1/2 lbs.

A very "high value" rifle in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  7. rtull32

rtull32 New Member

I am beginning to lean more toward the 30-06 series 1 just because I can get the rifle for $399 which in my opinion is an amazing deal and with the money I save on the rifle will be enough to get a nice scope as well from what I have read the series one still shoots pretty tight groups all though the series 2 is a little tighter

8. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

The S2 has a two stage trigger, so if you are not partial to take-up go with another rifle. If, however, you like two stage triggers the S2 has a dandy which breaks like glass at three pounds.

9. eric1229

eric1229 New Member

I have a vanguard series 1 in 270win and that gun is a great shooter. Puts three shots in an inch, very comfortable, well priced and a nice action. Paid 369 for it on sale at cabelas a couple yrs ago. Great rifle!!!

10. rtull32

rtull32 New Member

I went and picked mine up today got the gun for $379 and threw a 3-9x50 Nikon prostaff scope on it! I can't wait to take it out and put some rounds down range tomorrow! I love the way the gun looks and feels so far it's a sweet gun.

image-3231615158.jpg

11. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Congrats on the nice rifle!...Let us know how it shoots.

12. CAR

CAR Member Supporter

I was going to buy a T/C venture in 30-06. But after checking out the New Weatherby Vanguard 2, I ended up buying one last tuesday it has a much better stock. I picked it up in 30-06 for 439.97 at a local store. It really feels good in my hands can't wait to shoot it, I ordered the buris weaver/picatinny two piece steel base and
    leupold prw rings,they should be here wednesday 8/1/12. I prefer the 30-06 but you should shoot want feels good to you.My manual that came with the vanguard 2 looks like a vanguard 1 manual with a vanguard 2 cover.
    All the pictures and the shot groups of 1 1/2" are from the vanguard 1 lol

Attached Files:

13. 44magmike

44magmike New Member

Get ya a 308.. Its only about 100 fps slower than a 30-06. More accurate than a o6 . Little less recoil. Deer wont know the difference if you use the right bullet and shot placement.

14. rtull32

rtull32 New Member

The gun itself shoots and feels great however my local academy obviously does not know how to bore sight a gun...it was so far off at first I couldn't hit a 4' long by 2' tall bench we were using to hold our targets at first I thought it was operator error so I had a buddy try the same shot and same situation not a hole in the bench anywhere. I plan to bore sight it my self soon and borrow a lead sled to fix the problem but I couldn't resist the itch today I had to pull the trigger