Weatherby Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CharlieRedleg, Dec 4, 2011.

1. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

Does anybody know about Weatherby Rifles? According to Field and Stream they are suppose to be the most accurate rifles.
    Thanks,
    CharlieRedleg

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I don't know about the most accurate. That is a pretty broad claim to make. I do know that they are good rifles though. The action and barrels are made by Howa. I have a Howa and it is a tack driver.

What caliber and kind of use are you thinking about with one of these, Mr. Redleg?

3. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

Caliber: 30-06. Use: Hunting. Where are Howa made also where are Weatherby Rifles made? I think the USA.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. fireguy

fireguy New Member

The Howa actions and barrels are Japanese. I may have mis-spoke about Weatherby in saying the Vanguard rifles share the Howa innards. I'm not sure about the Mark series rifles.

5. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Weatherby rifles are made in southern California. Weatherby Vanguards
    have actions that are made by Howa of Japan. The Vanguards are
    excellent rifles and are known for accuracy. I have 2 Vanguards, a
    30.06 and a .243.

6. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

Do you like them and have you had any problems?

7. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

I think I am getting a Savage. Thanks for the help guys.

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Get a marlin x7 every bit as good as a savage an way better fit ,finish ,an trigger than the axis. Also every bit as accurate. For $320 bucks

9. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

I think I am getting a Model 111

10. natman

natman Member

There has never been a Weatherby factory in the sense that there's a Remington factory. Weatherby has had Mark V production done at factories in Germany, Japan and the US. During the Japan years all Weatherbys, including the Mark V were made by Howa.

The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa 1500 with a Weatherby style stock and few cosmetic changes.

11. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

I dont want anything made in Japan. Germany would be ok.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You are missing out! The 1500 action has a flat underside and all the rifles are pillar bedded. My HB .308 will shoot 1 ragged hole bulls at 100 yards all day long. I have not found a powder/bullet combination it does not shoot well. That goes for 7.62x51 ammo also.

13. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

Maybe I am, but I am a American made kind of guy.

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Weatherby rifles are good rifles and very nice looking! However as accurate as they are I don't think we could make the claim that they are the "Most Accurate Rifles Made" Granted they are or at least the ones I have been associated with are very accurate. But a lot of other companies make very accurate rifles. My cousin had Weatherby rifles when he guided in Montana and Wyoming for several years. And they were also real pretty rifles! That was the reason besides price that I would not buy one due to the fact if I ever nicked it up I would have to cry!!!! His favorite was a 270 Weatherby Magnum caliber rifle. If I nick up a regular hunting rifle I usually will say a few adjectives but not cry! However they are nice rifles and if you get a great deal on one it would be hard to pass up. Also be sure you get one in the standard normal calibers instead of the Weatherby Mag Calibers which will cost you an arm and a leg for ammunition! I know Howa makes the Weatherby Vanguard for Weatherby.

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Well the marlin x7 series are better than a weatherby vanguard imho, an they are made in the usa, they will shoot sub moa all day with even cheap blue box federal ammo

16. jpattersonnh

So why is German ok??

17. jpattersonnh

Post some targets!

18. PatrickHarrison

PatrickHarrison New Member

German is high quality ie the mauser the best in my opinion, bolt action. Nuff said

19. CharlieRedleg

CharlieRedleg New Member

I have had stuff made in Germany and loved it. Japan is another story.

20. peters923

peters923 New Member

I have A vanguard in .223 and a savage 110 in .223.
    I like them both. I do have to say that for the last ten years I have shot them both regularly and the savage is more accurate. That being said, my savage 12 in .223 puts them both to shame.