Weatherby 20ga SA-08 question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Balota, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Just got a Weatherby 20ga SA-08. Still learning how the thing works. I'm new to shotguns. My only experience was 6 boxes of 12 ga at the last Shoot & Hoot. I'm sure my issue involves operator error. It's intermittent and very annoying.

Went to the range to run a couple boxes through it to make sure it worked. I have the light load piston installed and the gun cycles flawlessly when fired. I have not removed the plug from the magazine, so I can load 2 + 1. That's what I was doing at the range. I fired two boxes, so about 16 sets of 3.

My problem occurs while loading. With the action open, I put one shell in the chamber. I hit the slide release button on the right side. Slide closes solidly. I turn the gun over and put two more shells in the magazine. So far so good. Next step is supposed to be pushing the carrier lock button on left side back to lock the carrier and allow rounds in the magazine to be fed as needed. About 5 or 6 times, the carrier lock button would not move. I had to unload the shotgun completely and start the process over again. Once I had to repeat the process 2 times before the carrier lock button behaved correctly.

What am I doing wrong?

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

I wish I could help. The thread title grabbed my attention because I have the same shotgun except mine is a pump.

I love this gun by the way. It fits my wife and me very well.

Good luck to you.

3. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I think that means you have a PA-08. But the same internals. The 20ga feels like I could shoot it all day.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's what I meant. Letters... They mean things.

5. Balota

OK, I think I've figured it out. I went back to the range for another couple boxes. I found that I sometimes push the 2nd round into the magazine, but not firmly enough. The shell is just a tiny bit further out of the magazine and pressing against the front edge of the carriage. If the carriage lock button is stuck, I can just push a little more on the back of the 2nd round and the carriage moves a tiny bit. Then the lock button functions normally.

Shot 50 rounds. Didn't keep close count, but seemed like about 50% hits plus a couple close calls. Leaning into the gun (a bit further than nose over toes) seemed to help. Need practice on getting cheek weld to be consistent so my eye is properly lined up with ridge and bead. Getting better at eyes on the bird when shooting. I think I could get to liking the shotgun!

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sounds like a good time. We put a box through our Weatherby pump today ad well. Not really shooting targets, just messing around.

Glad you enjoy yours.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Sounds good. You're making progress. I'm not there yet and don't know if I ever will be. :eek:

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sure you will. You just gotta keep practicing. :)

Of darn, more reason to shoot more.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Balota, how much did the SA-08 run you? When I was looking at it 18 months ago the least I could get it for was $620, but that was with 2 Barrels, and an adjustable Stock(youth to adult). The same setup from Mossberg(their SA-20 adjustable flex with 2 barrels,3 chokes, and two stocks was $100 less, so we got that...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. Balota

$599 at Bass Pro. Plus some ammo, snap caps, holder for a box of shells, soft case, silicone sleeve, trigger lock, bore snake.