Wear Glasses, Asking Noob Question

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Doc3402, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

As the thread title hints, I am a newbie to scopes. I had one once about 30 years ago, but it came with the rifle and my eyes were much younger.

Here's the problem. With my eyes the way they are now I am barely able to see a handgun's front sight with my street glasses. I am thinking seriously about buying a .22 WMR for target and varmint use, but I don't know if I'll be able to see the crosshairs in the scope.

The question: Are there reasonably priced scopes out there with a diopter adjustment that I can use to compensate for my vision?

I can't tell you what kind of rifle yet. Until I find out if I will be able to use a scope I am holding off on buying anything, but it will be a bolt action something or other.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, there are- what is your vision problem, and how bad? There ARE limits of adjustment on scopes.

3. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

I am very nearsighted, bu i have never encountered any problems with any of my scopes with or without my glasses.

the scope's magnification seems to correct any visual deficiences.

4. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I have a wife that is legally blind and one son that is close to it. My wife can damn near out shoot me with my 22.

Head to a gun shop, explain your concern to the man behind the counter, and ask to look through near everything they have till you find what looks best.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

What He Said.

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm becoming farsighted in my right eye, which is also my dominant eye. At this stage it is correctable without using the bottom of Coke bottles for lenses.

My left has a wicked astigmatism and is also becoming more farsighted, but I'm guessing that shouldn't be a factor for the scope question.

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Good advice. If you don't mind my asking, is there a certain style of scope that works best for your wife and son? At this point I'm guessing I should be easy to correct for, but the rate of advance on my farsightedness is supposedly faster than normal. I would like to spend the money once and get something that will last through the changes. Thanks

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've been nearsighted about 50yrs & can't wear contacts-
    About all i can tell you is that some scopes i can with no problem with them on--Some i have to remove them-- Something to do with quality of scope? I've never really thought about it -

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I cant wear contacts e ither ,to drunk to put em in, always pokin my eye

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I been shot, cut, beat dam near to death but try to put something even close to my eye & another fight starts right then :eek: :p