Weapons used to kill Bin-Laden??

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by dan43935, May 21, 2011.

1. dan43935

dan43935 New Member

It has been widely reported that the operators that killed Bin-Laden were using "Silenced" suppressed weapons. Then I heard that part of the reasoning behind not releasing the photos, was that the "high powered rifles" used by the soldiers left a "devastateing wound". OK, I know enough about suppressors, to know that you can suppress the muzzle blast of about any rifle, but any projectile that is super-sonic is going to have the loud crack sound we associate with rifles. I know these guys use suppressed MP5's for hostage rescue stuff, but I can't see them carrying these on this raid. How loud are suppressed M4's? I've heard about a sub-sonic sniper rifle, a company not far from me (SSK) makes some. It's a .30 cal bullett in a smaller case. Please enlighten me. What do you guys think they were using?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Navy Seals were the weapon used. Nuff said. God Bless all those who serve.

3. dan43935

dan43935 New Member

See, I have little knowledge of suppressors. I thought that rifles with suppressors were still pretty loud. Someone elsewhere directed me to this link, which answered my suppressor qeustion.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AD4Zqrq8EgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. hbomb

hbomb New Member

a supressed m4 really isnt that loud..you dont need hearing protection, and theres very very little muzzle flash. you do still get somewhat of a crack but its muffled.

5. bullethole

bullethole New Member

They used a single shot 4/10 shotgun from wal mart!:cool:

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

They used strong will, sound mind and undying desire to kill him. I forgot training, training and more training.

7. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

The big thing with a spec op unit like the Navy SEALs is their access to an armorer that knows his/her stuff. I'm not saying they buy a new weapon for every mission, but an armorer can tailor the weapon to the mission. A tapped barrel for seaborne ops, so the barrel doesn't explode, or possible a suppressed weapon with a modified gas system so the rounds will cycle, etc.

But as the others said, they could have done it with anything from a 10/22 to the latest tacticool mall ninja'd M4 platform. Its all mental. I'm an army man myself, but props to them. Can't argue with results.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I heard, take it for what its worth, the weapon was an HK416.

9. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Well, the HK416 is an M4 with a gas piston system (more reliable?). Its been popular amongst special forces, as it was developed by special forces. Makes sense. There was some helmet-cam footage out there, but I doubt it still is, or if it was the same operation.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am going with the HK416~

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I would say, not so much. Im a factory piston gun owner (not some aftermarket add-on) and havent had any problems to date. Being as I own one I pay attention to reviews covering them. There has been a fair amount of bad press, mostly from guys just getting done w/ carbine courses.

12. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

hk 416 is a good bet for the weapon, and it is likely that is was suppressed. Excessive damage, suppressed or not could be (and I think was) from a point blank shot. Heat of the moment+baddie flinching= dead bad guy ...." holy **** I think you just shot bin laden!" no source, just me own speculation.

13. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I have no idea what the SEALS used on that particular mission, but I do have a friend that served with a SEAL team for 5 years and he told me that one of his, and many of his peers', favorite weapon was a silenced MP5. Shooting someone in the head with anything larger than a bb gun with a hollow point round can lead the head pretty nasty looking. I hate to speculate what these men were using, but whatever it was it must have worked because the POS is dead and in the end that is all that matters :)

14. tierone

tierone New Member

It was SEAL Team Six that killed him. They are a tier one special operations group which means they have special privileges that other special forces don't. Such as they are allowed to wear beards and longer hair. They are also allowed to carry whichever weapon they chose to carry. So any weapon could have been used.

15. Bools

Bools New Member

I'd think that if I were a navy seal carrying out one of the most important missions of the war, I'd want to choose my weaponry. A loadout that is not only mission specific, but one I would be the most comfortable using sounds right to me. That type of practice isn't too uncommon among certain special forces groups. Question is, did they get the option for individual loadout carries.

16. coryalexandert

coryalexandert New Member

They probably got the guy from sons of guns to build some crazy suppressed **** for them..

17. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. :cool:

Attached Files:

18. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Where can I get one of those masks?

19. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

20. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks Jack, need one for riding.