Weapon choice per reactionary gap.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Scratchammo, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Say you're about to get mugged, you have a knife in your pocket & a pistol behind your belt. At what distance would you go for the knife instead?

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

If you are lawfully within rights to produce a weapon, you better draw the gun. Only a fool brings a knife to a gunfight.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

When I have run out of ammo and the gun is in pieces from being used as a club.

Pocket knives are barely better than fists unless the blade is long enough to reach the heart or lungs.

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

For that matter only a fool brings a knife to a knife fight.
    Move back and towards your strong side as you pull the pistol.

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

So what y'all are saying, you'd rather use a pistol within 6'?

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Unless you are trained in hand-to-hand combat and can effectively defend yourself while attacking, you are going to get cut. Why risk it...open the distance and go for your gun...

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Too late to this party!! :D

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Me too, dammit.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Not me! ;)

Really Jon? What about that tubular shaped thing that holds your head up that contains the trachea, and the jugular and carotid arteries, that sends an oxygenated blood supply to the brain from the lungs and heart called the neck? Very rarely protected and easily slit. Even a small razor blade can sever anything in it.

What he posted. ^^^ :cool:

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When would I go for my knife? When I need something to wrap his cold dead fingers around.

11. freefall

freefall New Member

I believe I could present my holstered pistol more quickly than a pocket knife. Put the pistol in a shoulder holster closer to said evildoer and make it a sheath knife, might go the other way. Especially if he has a hold of you.

12. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Depends on what the mugger is holding. If he's holding a handgun and hasn't already shot you, he probably isn't planning on killing you. Wait for him to get close and just keep the gun from pointing towards you. It can only shoot in a straight line. Then just start stabbing him in the gut. Even if you don't kill him, the shock will make him unable to do anything. If he has a knife and is walking towards you, just try to get as discreet a shot off as possible. Any hit in combat is a good hit, and nobody wounded will stay around to get shot again.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a CRKT Bear Claw and start slashing.:eek:

14. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Really???:confused: So you're telling us you can stab people with your fists??

As far as the question goes... Everyone has a gameplan before the crap hits the fan. Practice your draw with both a knife and a firearm, and be prepared for whatever situation you may find yourself in. Learning how to fight with your hands is always a good idea too...

Get good at everything... Specialization is for insects.

just my 2cents

15. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

if he has a knife, i'm gonna back away and draw. if he has a gun, i'm gonna turn and draw and go bang bang. ( I will turn so he won't see that I'm pulling my firearm and not my wallet, and also to present a slightly smaller target).

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Scratch,

That is why the saying! You will do as you have trained. In these situations you must act due to the fact you do not have time to think things out! So what I am saying you must train, train, train, and rehearse these situations before over and over in your mind! That is if you are going to be successful in these scenarios you mentioned. You must rehearse perform the drills and train prior to the incident. Because unless you are just d--- lucky you will be the ultimate victim. We teach a couple of techniques. #1 the push off and shoot! Keep your hand out of the line of the muzzle if you are going to practice this. We would shove off then get our none gun hand back in to our chest while firing. The other is the fend off and move technique. All kinds of techniques with this. Rake his shins! Smash your hand into his nose and face area and move. Flat hand him on the ear! Jam his eyes Move and Shoot! Or if you feel good pull his eyeball out and be sure to ask him "Is this Yours?" I would presume that is the political correct thing to say at that point!:rolleyes: But aways be doing something and moving. Don't just shoot once either. Give him two or three asses quickly and give him some more if the treat has not stopped or there is any chance of it continuing. Remember there is no such thing as a fair fight they just teach us to win!!!

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'm not. And I have no problem being the only one who says so, based on training.

For this scenario, you have to factor intent, movement and positioning of the attacker.

But I have seen, and participated in, drills where it's proven a knife is WAY faster than a handgun from holster within about 5 or so yards IF the attacker is aggressive.

I would like to see Scubie and Dr.Jason's beliefs based on a very, VERY good demonstration that was being filmed at shot by a guy who was recognized as one of the ELITE correction officer trainers in the country.

This was a guy who could change levels on you, cut both femeral arteries and the groin in about 2 or so seconds, followed with an arm grab and burying a karambit deep into the nerve center in the armpit, before most of us knew he drew his karambit from his belt. It was VERY impressive.

I would like to see some of the responses and will be checking back as this thread takes legs.

For me, unless I can create space, I am not going for my primary weapon inside of 5 or so yards in an open environment like a parking lot.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

i do agree with you that if you carry it you need to know how to use it. thats why i dont carry one, i dont know a damn thing about how to use a knife in a fight. most goblins that you will ever meet dont even know how to hold a steak knife at sizzler much less use a knife in a fight. to them its just an intimidation thing. they typical dont expect resistance.

if your going to carry a knife for protection it HAS to be long enough to reach internals or heavy and sharp enough to cut through muscle clothing and tendons to do damage. most pocket knives dont fall into this catergory. thats what i was trying to get across without going into exhaustive detail. typical folding knives that will fit in a pocket are not good for fighting. thats my point with the typical pocket fodder being only nominally better than nothing.

honestly, peeps that spend the time to really train in knife fighting, martial arts, or weapons in general are not the ones robbing you or carjacking or other typical goblin activity.

19. WDB

WDB New Member

KISS my pistol is the primary defensive, far more practice with it than the back up knife. Go with what works for you. For me I expect my knife is option two and the aggressor is already on me and I can't get to my pistol. Six feet is close (three steps walking two running).