Weak primer strikes

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by southernfirepower, May 2, 2012.

1. southernfirepower

southernfirepower New Member

I guys I have a problem.... My at primer strikes seem to bee too weak how can I fix this... It happens alot

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I'm no gunsmith but I wonder if the head-space is off. Have you tried a different BCG in the rifle?

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

What caliber is your Ar?

Have you done any modifications to your fire control group?

What kind of AR is it? (Brand/model)

What brand BCG do you have?

Round count?

Have you inspected your chamber? Your firing pin?

Have you checked the hammer spring?

What kind of ammo are you shooting?

If you rechamber the ammo with the light strike will it fire the second time around?

How old is the ammo?

4. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Is this the first trip to the range with the firearm, or is it a problem that has just occurred, and you have fired the weapon previously with no issues? (Add these to Tikki's questions.)

5. southernfirepower

It's .556 .... Brand new Adams arms upper, piston. It was the first trip to the range. And no i have not modded anything. What could be wrong.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

First thing is try different ammo. Could be just shooting it will make it work as it wears in. Light strikes could mean the action is not quite closed completely. Thats why it may work better after it wears a little. Could be caused by many many things(like weak mainspring,to much headspace, defective firing pin,many more).

7. southernfirepower

:| Oh man I don't know where to start fixing it

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Did you order it assembled, or put it together yourself? First off, what ammo did you use, and was it all from one batch? If so, go buy another box from a different manufacturer, and see if the problem persists. Before you go panicking, check out the simple things first.
    Make sure that the firearm is clean, test out some different ammo, and then, if the problem persists, it eliminates a rare case of bad loads/primers.

9. southernfirepower

It was allready assembled. And it did it with federal. And not so much with Tula.

10. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Did you lube it and clean it or just take it and shoot? It may need some lube.

11. southernfirepower

No lube... Would that really be the source of the issue?

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yep ARs like to run a little wet.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would try cleaning the bolt and firing pin channel and locking lug area in the chamber. guns are often greased for storage as the maker often doesnt know how long they sit before being sold. no gun should ever go straight from the box to the range without a very thorough cleaning.

use pipe cleaners to get in the entire firing pin channel

14. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I love to run wet guns, they just seem to operate flawlessly when cleaned, lubricated, and oiled.

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Quite possible. Think about it like your car transmission. Metal doesn't slide on metal that well, which is why you have transmission fluid. Otherwise, you're grinding it, and that isn't exactly what you want to be happening.
    While this may not be the problem, (I'd still, after a thorough cleaning, try some different ammo), I'd rather eliminate the simple possibilities before I went dropping it in the mail to send back to have them look at it, or going to a smith to have him figure it out.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing

if it is still light strikes after a good cleaning check the hammer spring installation it is possible to have it in there wrong. if the legs of the spring are not in the notches in the pin for the sear its entirely possible to have light or no strikes

17. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Good point, Jon. I forgot about the spring. I think I'd check that while performing the clean just to make sure.

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

[QUOTE=southernfirepower;788654]It's .556 .... Brand new Adams arms upper, piston . It was the first trip to the range. And no i have not modded anything. What could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Here's you problem right here.

Have you checked the gas settings? You may need to open it up a bit. Read manual.

And haven't u guys her, pistons don't need no stinking loob. :p

19. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

All guns need some lubing..lol

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

I think he is referring to the piston assembly itself. You dont lube gas piston assemblies. The rest of the gun you do lube