Weak-Hand Practice.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gorknoids, Mar 29, 2010.

1. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I fell off shooting weak-handed about a year ago when I had shoulder surgery, and just started doing it again about 2 weeks ago. Once I figured out that I couldn't squeeze my whole hand, the shots came back to centerline, and today it worked pretty well at 7 yards. Just wondering if anyone has tips for becoming more competent with the weak hand, as it still feels un-natural, even though I'm hitting acceptably. I was 70% in the blue on a B-3 target, with misses going right (Squeezing all fingers). I know I need to work dry-firing, but cues for wrist alignment, elbow location, and stuff like that escape me. "Practice makes perfect" should read 'Proper practice makes perfect", and that's why I'm axing. Never had no schooling in weak-hand, but I'm sure that some of you have. Your $.02 is worth millions.

2. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

No tips here, but we can practice weak hand together

3. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

That sounds dirty. I'll bring golf gloves. When do you want to shoot?

4. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

That did sound pretty dirty. Let me see what I can do financially. Gotta pay the bills first. I'll let you know. Hopefully soon.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If my right hand is unusable when the BG's come - I'm screwed and they're safe...

7. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

And that's a scenario that I hope I can overcome with practice. Actually, the BUG feels pretty natural left-handed, and with the short, soft trigger (3.5 lbs) there's not much mechanical effort involved. The XD just feels like a handful, and even though I've played guitar (Or perhaps BECAUSE) I am definitely squeezing all fingers.

8. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

That is something I know I'm supposed to practice, but hardly ever do. :eek:

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Me Too!! Something for me to consider, I need to practice more left handed.

10. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Not only do I practice Left handed, but I also practice my Dual wield in case I ever need to go Full out John Woo Style.:D

11. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

What worked for me was to practice with my weak hand on 20 yd. N.R.A.Slow fire targets. This is a very humbling undertaking but it certainly presses home the proper hand / eye coordination. At one time I could consistently shoot low 90 s weak hand unsupported. Unfortunately I never did work up any speed weak hand.

TGR

12. GeauxTigersGuy

GeauxTigersGuy New Member

I've never fired a single round with my weak hand. But, now that you mention it I am intrigued and will defintely pop some rounds with the weak hand next time out at the range.

13. Jynx

Jynx New Member

I'm inclined to agree with this. I've never tried it either.

14. superc

superc Member

Things never go entirely as planned for during serious social encounters.

Left hand reasonable accuracy is very much something that should be in any survival kit bag. There is no secret, it is just that most of us grew up using our dominant hand for manual tasks. Time to expand the field of who does the work. Similar experiences are sometimes encountered with dominant hand shooting while wearing an eye patch over your dominant eye (yes, you have one). Naturally the sight picture has changed, so you probably should practice that too.

Can you (recognizably) sign your name left handed yet?

15. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

"Social encounters"! :)
    I not tried using my non-dominant eye, but would have this AM had I not already been heading to the range when you posted this. In target-shooting mode this morning, when I conciously inventoried my grip I shot much better, but it was very slow. 20 shots on a B-3 target at 21' had 15 in the black 3 just out, and two fliers. On the silhouette, I was still going right and could feel the grip rotate, requiring constant minor adjustments and a new appreciation for my left thumb.
    I will work the eye angle next trip!

16. WDB

WDB New Member

Dry fire practice with the weak hand often will help at the range. Get the "other" hand use to working the pistol, it will feel more natural when you go to the range. IMHO

17. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

ive got one very helpful tip for those of you who want to get a good concept on weak hand shooting. some of you may laugh but try holding your gun "gangsta" style. when i went for my ccp the sheriffs made all of us try weak hand b4 they would pass us, it works great. sooooo give'er a try an see for your self ;)

18. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I've been practicing alot more weak hand lately, while not exactly gangsta style, I have found it's been working better for me to get into a solid shooting position with my weak left arm(mirrored as if I was shooting strong hand only) and cant the pistol slightly to the right to get the sights in front of my dominate right eye.
    It seems to work better for me than moving my arm to the right or moving my head to the left to get the sights.
    Both of which seemed to throw me out of a good shooting position and off balance, especially when shooting on the move.

19. opaww

opaww New Member

It is good to see others practicing off hand shooting, I am by far not no expert but when you grip the pistol hold it at waist level and look down at it. You should be able to draw a straight line through the sights along your arm and out your elbow. This is the alignment you should have.

Placing the weapon at waist level is just so you can see if the alignment is right not to shoot from the waist. Just try and keep the same basic alignment when bringing it up to shoot.

But I have found when shooting off hand that it helps to take my brain out and turn it around backwards then everything feels natural.