We had a 44% chance of losing our 2nd Ammendment Rights

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by dexntex, Jun 28, 2010.

1. dexntex

dexntex New Member

Frightening. Four of our nine Supreme Court Justices, sworn to uphold our constitution, were OK with forsaking 2nd amendment rights for everyone who lives in a state. Wow! We must demand that the Second Amendment be given the same respect as the First Amendment. There is little doubt that Elena Kagan will be an automatic anti-gun-rights vote on the Supreme Court, keeping our chances at 44%, way to high for my tastes

2. opaww

opaww New Member

The appointment of Kagan would not of made a deference in this case, because she would be filing the shoes of the Supreme Court's most anti-gun/anti-rights Justice. That being the retiring Justice Stevens. She is not being appointed to replace a Pro-gun/pro-Rights Justice.

So had she been appointed the ruling would of still passed by a 5-4 vote.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Supreme Court Justices have lost sight of their role just like every other idiot in Washington. They are making laws instead of interupting them.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Never forget that the real legacy of a President are the people they put on the Supreme Court - they are for life. Everyone needs to pray every day that none of the 5 justices on our side get ill or retire...

5. ALSGUN

ALSGUN New Member

AMEN, Brother... It is a shame that these justices are not doing the job properly, the main job of a supreme court justice is to uphold the constitution of these United States.

6. Steelersfan

Steelersfan New Member

7. dancingflea

dancingflea New Member

this july 4th let's celebrate because it might be the last.

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You are mathematically correct Opaww except this: A 90-year-old no vote isn't nearly as bad as a 45-year-old no vote. The former is a heart beat (and a Republican president) away from a yes vote, the latter is 2 generations of movement towards big-state tyranny.

Do you see what I mean?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Buzz-Kill, thanks a lot. [​IMG]

10. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

11. dexntex

dexntex New Member

More on a Supreme Court that would trash our liberties

My original post was to emphasize two things. One was that we have Supreme Court justices who would deny us our 2nd Amendement rights and the other was that we are only one justice away from adding another, after Kagan, that would result is our losing the argument, and our 2nd Amendment rights. I encourage everyone to read the dissenting justices' opinions. You’ll find things like

“there is no popular consensus that the private self-defense right described in Heller is fundamental” (Breyer opinion, p 9).

“…firearms have a fundamentally ambivalent relationship to liberty” (Stevens opinion, p 35).

The Heller decision claims that the right to self-defense is “the central component” of the right to keep and bear arms but Justice Breyer disagrees and says “In my view, this is the historical equivalent of a claim that water runs uphill” (Breyer opinion, pp. 8-9).

There is more but I didn’t want to go back and dig them all out.

12. bkt

bkt New Member

You're right. But unlike the other idiots in Washington, we can't get rid of Supreme Court Justices very easily. However, there is precedent for ousting a Justice. The House would impeach (indict) the person and the Senate would try him or her. If they're found guilty of whatever crime, they're out. Click here for details.

13. BADDOGWEAPONRY

BADDOGWEAPONRY New Member

These Times...

Perhaps, we need to do our part, as best as humanly possible, to educate and encourage people to excersize their right.
    I also believe, attempting to do away with that right may be costly and dangersous for citizens, legal gun owners, gun dealers, and our government.

14. crowbar

crowbar New Member