Wax Slugs Cycle?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by tCan, Apr 15, 2012.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

Will wax slugs cycle in a pump? The only video I've been able to find of anyone doing more than 1 at a time is in a Saiga.

I'm considering swapping the lead slugs out of my 870 for these wax slugs because they break up when they pass through walls. Safer for the other people in my apartment.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You can cycle pretty much ANY standard length shot shell in a pump- but not an auto. However, you are going to a rather ineffective round for stopping someone.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Agreed. If slugs and buckshot penetrate too much, bird shot may be a better choice.

4. tCan

tCan Active Member

I dont think you guys understand what a wax slug is. This is how you make a wax slug:

1. Cut the top off of a field load/birdshot as close to the top as you can
    2. Melt Wax
    3. Pour your shot into the wax
    3. Pour the wax and shot mix into your wad using the minimum amount of wax necessary. You'll have about a dozen pellets left if you're using 7.5 shot.

This makes you a one ounce slug that is essentially frangible. It hits with all the authority of a 7.5 shotshell fired with the muzzle pressed against the intruders chest. Devastating stuff. But safer for other people in the building.

My only concern is whether or not they present a problem for cycling. I've made two, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. They don't spill shot like a cut shell will.

5. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

The mechanics of a pump will cycle any shell that will fit in your chamber.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I bet they cycle.
    I wouldn't want to try and explain it to an anti-gun prosecutor after a SD shooting, however. Sounds nast...er I mean effective, though.

7. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

You can shoot anything through a pump. Just a warning though. This happened to a guy who was trying to do what you want to do a few days ago.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/36..._like_me__please_everyone_learn_from_me_.html

Be very careful. I personally wouldn't risk losing an limb or eye. If I wanted a slug, I'd shoot a slug. If I wanted something for HD/SD I'd use whatever size shot is appropriate for my location/situation at the time.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012