Water Jugs Leaking?!

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by GlockRenegade, Aug 12, 2013.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Alright so I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my 10 yr old daughter - single father. I had 8 gallons of water at the bottom of my pantry and a 24 pack of 16oz bottles as well. Emergency purposes. Also have a few weeks worth of canned food for the both of us. Today I realized each one of my gallons was leaking creating almost an inch of water. I've had them there for about 8-10 months. I didn't find any holes really, seams a little lose on some. I keep my apartment between 72-85 degrees depending on if I'm home or not. Live in San Antonio TX if that helps.. any thoughts on what made my jugs leak?

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Prankster friends. Staples from the cabinets. Cheap/ generic water.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If the water was in those soft milky colored plastic bottles(like milk comes in)- those are short term storage only. The hard clear plastic(like juice is often in) hold up way better. On the bottom they should have a triangle with a 1 in it.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If you regularly drink bottled water, rotate the stock.

6. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

They are like the clear plastic jugs that milk comes in

7. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Those jugs get brittle over time and leak. i carry water in milk jugs on my truck for cleaning up harvested game animals. Was surprised to find two jugs nearly empty one day, both had large cracks.

8. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Super degradable...
    Picked one up recently from a shelf... It had been there 2 yrs...handle just crumbled off and I soaked the shelf....

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Use purpose made long term storage bottles, soda bottles, or laundry detergent bottles.

10. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ah yes soda bottles! Forgot about those

11. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Thanks for all the comments. Going to fill up some 3 liters this weekend. Probably a dozen

12. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

Good info. I hadn't thought about the milk bottles breaking down over time. I have about 40 gallons of water stored and add to it weekly. About 15 of those gallons is milk gallons. The rest are two-liter soda bottles. No doubt the two-liter soda bottles are much more durable. Might have to switch my stash to all soda bottles or 5 gallon plastic water bottles.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I would get some purpose made water storage bottles. They make square ones that stack easily and are more space efficient. I pretty much scrounge any and all of the PET plastic bottles and refill them with tap water.

Store them in complete darkness too. Otherwise the plastic breaks down and you can grow algae in the bottles.

14. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hiwall nailed it. Milk jugs or any of the thin plastic jugs that are translucent are meant to degrade quickly so as not to clog landfills. Anything more than six months will cause me to spring a leak spontaneously. The perfectly clear water and soda bottles are meant for longer-term storage. The water-dispensing machines at grocery stores have long-term storage bottles usually in 1-, 3- and 5-gallon bottles.

Definitions:
    Bio-degradable: when product is in contact with living organisms like bacteria or other biological agents it will begin to break down.
    Degradable: breaks down when exposed to natural forces such as air, light or earth.

15. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I've been using kitty litter jugs up at the cabin.

They hold about 2.5 gallons, are a good rigid plastic, and newer ones have a handle on the top and the back for easy pouring.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

All modern soda bottles degrade the same way milk jugs do just takes a little longer.

As others said get purpose made containers. I store mine dry no water. Wherever there is water things grow in it. Even stored. The littlest bit of biological material can start stuff growing. If you choose to store full containers it must be rotated out with fresh every 3 months and the containers cleaned.

If things go ohsht i can fill em quick enough by hooking the water pump to my generator in case of utility failure. If your on city water (i feel your pain) then just rotate the jugs frequently use the old water for plant watering car washing whatever

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

3 months? I'm assuming you mean opened/ refilled jugs. I bought some jugs that had a two year shelf life.

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

If you store plastic containers in absolute darkness and a cool environment, they will last indefinitely. Heat and light will destroy them.

The algae that grows in water containers must also have light, and generally lots of it. (ever notice that it doesn't grow in the shady parts of ponds?). Also, this algae will not harm you, some types are actually somewhat nutritious. Its the other organisms that you need to be afraid of.

19. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I feel your pain... 1st floor ceiling is now stained from the leaking jug :(

20. Yunus

Yunus New Member

How long is water good for in the 5 gallon water bottles used in coolers? They wont degrade but I dont think they are sealed so bacteria could be an issue.