Water Filtration System

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CA357, Oct 9, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I just bought two of these drip filtration systems. They're kind of a poor man's Big Berkey.

Cheaper than Dirt has them for $29.95 plus shipping, but they can't ship them to California because our laws are stupid. So, I did some research and went to the source and they were cheaper. Two kits plus shipping came to $60.

Link: Monolithic Marketplace — Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter

The system uses two five gallon food grade buckets & lids and you must drill two holes. I plan to have my monkey do the assembly. ;)

We have a fair amount of food stored and quite a few other items as well. But I figure potable water could mean life or death if SHTF.

Here's a link to the specs on this unit: http://shop.monolithic.com/pages/water-filter

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

True that! you don't have water it's game over. I've been stocking up on garden grown canned goods for a while. I have a sea of mason jars. I like that filter sys. in that link. It seems I watched a video on how to make one using the same buckets, some sand, and charcoal. Of course getting a big supply of the sand and charcoal would be the big thing in that idea. I might look into a couple of these too. Way I see it is if you still have room then you still have stuff to get lined out.

Thanks for the links here and the other thread.:)

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Thanks for the info. I had been saving up for a nicer Berkey system, but it might be smart to look into cheaper alternatives.

You can live for weeks without food. You can only live for a couple days without water. Potable water is probably the single most important thing to consider in a survival situation.

4. Millwright

Millwright Member

Rule of "Three's"

1. Three minutes without air.

Short term survival.......

2. Three days without water.

In any scenario, from a local weather catastrophe to a major screw-up, the very first thing needed is a steady supply of good water. Not less than a gallon/day/person for consumption, cooking and oral hygenine. You can wash in ditch water.......

3. Three weeks without food.

Curious so many for so long always rank food ahead of water, even in space ship melodramas. :D >MW

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I bought the same thing from Cheaper than Dirt a couple months ago. I thing I'll order another one for insurance. One is none.

6. CA357

BTW, we can't bring Berkey systems into California. We're being protected from ourselves by the leftists.

7. greenzone

greenzone New Member

I WISH I HAD MORE ROOM, I HAVE THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS FOR EACH CALIBER, AND SEVERAL FIREARMS HAND AND RIFLE. hAVE LOTS OF SURPLUS GEAR TOO BUT NO ROOM TO STORE ANY MORE. fIGURE I"LL HAVE TO HUNT ALONG THE WAY IF SHTF.

8. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Great Post Ca357, thanks so ever much

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Thanks ever so much to CA357 for an awesome post, I love berky Products but if these perform in a simular manner and for so much less, WONDERFULL! I have a few water Purifications items now, a Kayadin Filter a water straw in my BOB, but I have wanted to add a Biger More gallon Capacity "Berky type filter" to the bug in preps and this will help a LOT!! Many many thanks!

RON

9. CA357

You're welcome Ron. That's exactly why I posted it. I doubt that it's an exact clone of the Big Berkey, but it does most of the same stuff at a fraction of the price.

We can't bring Berkey products into CA (at least not the Big Berkey) We're on a very tight budget and really can't afford one without more sacrifice than we're willing to undertake. This will work for us.

10. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

I'm going to add some improvements!

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS, Responce to Ca357

yes, thanks again, this set up will be the basis of improvements to the design as shown there! I'll add the Ceremic Filter elements to the Bucket, as well as sand and a Charcoal layer, that will aid in Filtration as well as removal of larger contaminiates and aid in the preservation of the ceremic filter elements! I got the designs out of Foxfire books and when I get it done, will be most glad to add pics and all to show the finished product as wel as the Building of it?

Yes, I have sen how Folks in Kalifornia can't buy the Berky and thats Madness, of course they knowmbetter than you, after all, they are leftists and know everything? I'm sorry that your still there, but you really should consider leaving? For so many reasons? I did, you can to!

RON

RON

11. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Plexi glass is your friend when it comes to water purification. You can make a nice multi stage solar still. Adding multiple stages is always better, single stage stills won't get everything out of contaminated water. Best part is it requires only sunlight & will make a fairly decent water heater is needed.

12. CA357

Bumping this for the new folks. Ya' really need water.

13. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Guys and Gals, I'm a water Treatment Operator. I can't stress enough the need for regular, unscented Bleach! Get as much as humanly possible!

14. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

What ratio?

15. bkt

bkt New Member

One or two drops per gallon is what I read. It WILL kill any living organisms, but it won't to anything to remove toxins.

16. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Bkt is right.

17. divinginn

divinginn New Member

The shelf life on regular household bleach is very short,it gets weaker as it ages. Pool shock is very good for sanitizing water and has a much longer shelf life. I just bought a sawyer water filter to clean water with,have not used it yet to see how well it works,it is supposed to have unlimited usage life with fewer cleanings.

18. CA357

Yup, bleach loses it's potency. I just keep a few jugs and rotate them through the laundry.

19. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Even minor filtration will help bleach do it's job.