Water filtration system

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by widowmaker, Jul 3, 2014.

1. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

I just tried to order a water filtration system that uses 2 five gallon buckets from Cheaper than Dirt.
    Guess what? They won't ship it to Calif.
    Im hoping Midway will. Anyone know why we are being cut off?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ummmm.... 5 gallon buckets are known to the State of California to cause cancer? :confused:

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Just buy the ceramic filters and the spigots.

http://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Water..._sim_k_26?ie=UTF8&refRID=10NY7KA794PXKY8C8608

You can get activated charcoal at the local Aquariums-R-Us, bleach tablets, knee highs & white socks at the Try'n Save, the free chlorine test strips at Pool Warehouse, and the #2 plastic buckets at the Home Improvement Racket.

Or get ALL of the above from Amazon.

The white buckets look sanitary, but they let sun light through. Light helps things grow. Dark buckets don't. Or you could just keep the whole thing in the dark.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  4. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

I will not do business with cheaper than dirt because of this,I never know what they will or will not ship to Cali.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't bought from them since they cashed in on the panic and raised their prices to absurdity. :mad:

No offense and none taken

6. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Have you looked at the Berkefeld water filtration systems? Pricey but I think they are worth the money. Amazon has them for $209.

7. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

The reason white buckets are preferred is because SOME white buckets are food grade. Colored buckets are NOT food grade. Thus, a food grade bucket will always be white. But not every white bucket will be a food grade bucket.

It is sorta like saying a square is a rectangle but a rectangle can not be a square.

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

What makes a plastic bucket 'Food Grade' is the release agent used to seperate the bucket from the mold. Food grade buckets use a non toxic agent or compressed air to slide the bucket off the mold. It saves the step of having to wash, rinse, and dry the buckets before the mayonasie, pickles, or whatever, gets put in. Food grade also means it was never used to hold a chemical or anything else before. This doesn't matter for buckets being filled with nails instead of frozen strawberries. The reason they're white, besides looking sanitary, is it's easyier to see and scrape out the last of the frosting or other food item it may contain. There is no difference in the plastic itself. All NEW #2 HDPE plastic buckets that were never used to hold anything, are safe for water after they've been cleaned.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  9. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Interesting. I knew about the release agent but I thought I had read somewhere that there was a difference in the plastics. So, what you are saying is if you got a non-food-grade blue bucket from the hardware store, you should just thoroughly wash it to remove any release agent and then it is good to go?

10. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

What I don't understand about water filtration is why they outlawed Polar Pure. It was a small glass jar filled with iodine crystals. One jar could purify thousands of gallons. But then some dang meth-head figured out you could use the iodine in a meth concoction and now there is an all out ban on iodine by the DEA. Special licensing to posses the stuff in concentrations over 2% I think. I have only found the stuff sold in one place online from a Canadian store but you risk seizure of your shipment if you have it sent to the US and customs takes it.

11. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

They say they can't ship any of them to Ca.

1. Katadyn Vario Microfilter Cleans 500 Gallons

2. Ceramic Water Filtration System Filter Kit Includes Filter, Sock, Spigot. 0.2 Micron
    3. Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter Endurance Series 10" Tall 20 Ounces

4. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter Filters Out Particles Down to 0.2 Microns

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

The NEW Sawyer Point ZeroTWO filters use dialysis tubes and can screen down to 0.02 mikes. That means it screens viruses as well. Their regular one does 0.1 mike. This is the link to their site:

http://sawyer.com/technology/water-filtration/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. Geosully

Geosully New Member

You are officially living behind enemy lines, brother.

14. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Wide variety of filters on the Internet. Get the ten inch housing that uses a variety of 10 inch cartridges. Camping world has filter, in blue housing that specs out pretty good.
    The ceramic filters with charcoal and silver, in the middle, are best, in my opinion. Some are .5 micro and the charcoal and silver clean anything that doesg et through to the inside. Use cheaper sediment filters in line in 10 inch housings to get sediment and some other things. It makes the life of the ceramic filter a lot longer. There also blue light designed to kill any bacteria, that can be installed in the line. It would be after the first sediment filter and maybe the ceramic. You have to clean them regualrily if in water before filtering. You cna get hose end fittings for between filters or to the home. We had our hard installed, in well house. Average life was suposed to be every six months, I changed it more often. The GE Housing from Home Depot is not clear but it has a remote alert when the filter needs chaning. that could save some money. In the event of no filters avialable, the popular play sand filter is good. They are available commercially for sediments and some bugs. A light in the tube after that filtering would do a good job. Lime will still get through. There is no filter yet to get lime out of water systems. Reverse Osmosis does that and get the nasties too. But it require much more maintenance and recharging wit salt or pellets, which might be hard to find in times. Salt leaves sodium in the water and we know what that does to fixtures. Potassium i better but the pellets cot more, but can be recharged unlike lat which ha to be replaced but is cheap and everywhere. There are enough sites on the Internet to keep you confused for a good while on which is and what system you need or want to settle on. Always have a backup too.