water filter questions

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by usmc1978, Sep 18, 2011.

1. usmc1978

usmc1978 Member

we're researching the best water filter to have on hand for an emergency situation (i.e., if the power is out for an extended period of time and we need to drink creek water).
    any suggestions? Especially, does anyone have personal experience with the Berkey water filter? How do I locate objective lab data?

Also, I had read years ago that a 'few drops' of bleach in a gallon of water would purify it. True? How much might be too much? Do I need to count drops?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

We bought a Big Berkey and it has been great - no complaints. These seem to be popular for long-lasting high-quality filtration.

One drop per gallon of unscented bleach is what I was taught would be sufficient to kill pathogens. Obviously, it won't filter any chemical contaminants.

3. Seven

Seven New Member

[​IMG]

For all the uses of bleach, I don't see any reason NOT to keep a couple gallons around.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

That's good to know. Thanks seven.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

dont forget about boiling and using coffee filters too. get a food grade funnel, and after boiling the water, filter it into a bottle through the funnel. Can also add a little bleach as per the table posted by seven to make sure your good. A large and or expensive water filter can be worked around a bit. I would go ahead and invest in a good one though for those just in case scenarios. That being said-the above scheme is what I use when I go camping.
    (I said food grade, truth be told I have no idea what a food grade funnel is, I use one I picked up from autozone)

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Unbelievably, the Big Berkey can't be imported to California. While looking for alternatives, I found these Monolith filters. I have two of them. I had my own 5 gal buckets, so I just bought the filters. I also have a Katadyn 5 gallon Base Camp filter.

I have two Aquamira Frontier filters in my BOB.

Monolith: A Practical, Life-Sustaining Water Filter | Monolithic

Katadyn: Katadyn Base Camp Water Filter - Free Shipping at REI.com

Aquamira: Aquamira Frontier Filter — Aquamira Water Treatment Products

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

okay I'll bite. Just why the heck can you not import a Berkey to California?

8. patkinney1

patkinney1 New Member

Commie run state and they want you dependit on the goverment.

9. MGH

MGH New Member

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

well we all know that, but just what B.S. excuse did they give?

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Heres what I use in my backpack for water purification...

104.jpg

MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter - Free Shipping at REI.com

REI Nalgene Everyday Wide-Mouth Loop-Top Water Bottle - 32 fl. oz. at REI.com

Potable Aqua Iodine and Taste-Neutralizer Tablets at REI.com

Sea to Summit Folding Bucket - 10 Liters at REI.com

In my case I go the the creek, lake, stream, river, puddle, etc.. and get water in folding bucket. If there is sediments in water I let water in bucket set for some time so sediments fall out to bottom of bucket. I also drop an iodine tab into bucket of water at this time. When alloted time for iodine tab and the neutralizer tab has passed and / or when sediments have settled to bottom of bucket, I then filter through the mini works filter into the 32 oz. Nagaline bottle that threads onto the bottom of this filter. Filtering the water through the filter after the use of chlorine or iodine tabs gets the taste out and water is good. Boiling the water works as well but doesn't always get all the sediment out for that crystal clarity and wastes fuel for cooking.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  12. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I bought the big Berkley for emergency use about five years ago and have not had the emergency to use it yet. It's suppost to be the best available.

And yes! I also want to know CA357, why can't a water filter be shipped to Kalafornia? That's dumb...

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I don't know why, I just know it's prohibited. The Ca lEPA could give lessons in arrogance and stupidity to the Fed EPA.