Water&batteries?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Jon12312, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

How long will water and batteries keep for without being useless? This month is battery and water month and I want to do it right. Ill take all the suggestions I can get.

2. jmeekhof

jmeekhof New Member

Water lasts forever man.

3. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

And it will be safe to drink even if in plastic bottles?

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

buy it already bottled up , dont try to fill your old milk jugs and do it that way .
    just keep it in a cool ,dark place

5. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Ok thanks. And what about batteries?

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Batteries stored in a COOL place are typically good about a year.

As said, keep the plastic water bottles cool, out of sunlight. Water does not "go bad". If you think about it, ALL of the water on earth is a couple of billion years old.......

Best buy on water- hit the grocery store. 1 gallon jugs. Usually sell them in a 3 pack cardboard box.

I also take rinsed out 2 liter soda bottles, fill 4/5 full, and fill empty space in deep freeze. Will help keep frozen stuff cold a couple of days with no power, can take out, let thaw, drink or wash. Do not fill to top- expansion.

7. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Water lasts essentially forever. However, the potability of the water depends on the container and the environment it's stored in. To maximize your storage, use commercially bottled water and store it in a cool, dark place. Ideally, the water should be rotated out now and then, perhaps a replacement cycle of two years or so. Keeping some water purification provisions around is helpful, just in case you open a bottle and it smells or tastes bad. Ceramic based filters with activated carbon inside last a long time, whereas tablets and liquids don't last much past a year.

Battery life in storage will depend on the type of battery, and it varies considerably. The following Energizer web site shows Lithium batteries can be stored 10-15 years. http://www.energizer.com/learning-center/Pages/battery-comparison.aspx

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Water stored yourself should have a few drops of bleach added IMO.

I have a set of batteries in my small emergency world-band radio that are supposed to keep 60-80% of their power after a year. That is unique and not sure they perform that well. Rely on small rechargeable batteries for some things? Buy a small solar panel to recharge them... < $100.

9. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Thanks. I have seen those before but didnt know if it would be a good shtf item. Ill look into it.

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Thank God I have a pond in my back yard, an isolated lake 1/4 a mile in the woods, 3 streams on my property, and it's always raining or snowing on the coast. Not to mention I have a well. Water is not high on my list, only filtering/boiling it.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Look for crank operated flashlight radio combo. Batteries only last so long and may be hard to get.

12. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget that wine comes in one gallon glass jugs. Drink the wine- save the jugs for water storage. A twofer, IMO. :)

13. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

If you are lucky enough to have well water, as I do, invest in a pitcher pump. If there is a prolong power failure you can disconnect your electric pump and screw or bolt on the pitcher pump and have all the water you need. Purification is another issue but your water supply will continue.

14. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

& box o wine comes in a reusable bladder that makes for a nice cheap camel back.

15. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Bleach, solar still, & Sanyo Eneloops.

16. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

One can never have enough water. I have community water, a well and 3 of those 275 gallon tanks in the cage, that catch rain water.

I have a LOT of bottled water and a LOT of water stored DIY gallon jugs in bleach, HD orange juice bottles. Milk jugs are not good tenders for water. I may not drink what I put up myself, but there infinate uses for water that is no quite good enough to drink.

I have a fair amount of batteries, but cycle them as I can. I do get an easy 3-5 yeras of storahe on them. Look for the best dates. I also have a fair amount of re-chg batteries. I have two small solar panels for charging those if needed.

Jimmy

17. Grumpy_

Grumpy_ New Member

I bought Tenergy Slow Discharge rechargeable batteries and a very portable solar charger. Batteries say they are good for 1000 cycles and hold 80% of charge after 1 year. Haven't had them long enough to verify claims.

Watch out for the gallon jugs of water from the grocery store. I had 5 of them in the closet and they all sprang pinhole leaks after a couple of years.

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Grumpy;
    I've gone thru that too -- lol. I only have a couple left.

19. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Could you post some links, I'm interested in this. I could google it but since you have a setup that seems to work, I'm interested to hear what you got :)

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Cheaperthandirt.com is a good place to start