Watch this Ruger Mini 14 barrel whip in slow-mo!

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by plumbernater, Sep 7, 2011.

1. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqgPu9gSmVc]Ruger Mini 14 barrel flex and muzzle blast, high speed camera - YouTube[/ame] After watching this I never thought the barrel moved this much. Im glad I got Mo parts now

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

.............and that's why the Mo-Rod, Accu-strut, Har-Bar and others are so effective in controling the barrel whip. I use the Mo-Rod on mine and it has helped to almost eliminate the accuracy and stringing issues that the older thin barrelled Mini's are prone to. I now have consistent 2" groups at 100 yards with 55 gr. ammo, using iron sights, off a bi-pod with my 183-series. :cool:

3. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

Yeh mine is a 181 and I have a Mo Rod on mine to, I just seen this vidio and thought Id share. never knew it wiped that much.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

slow mo rocks!!!

5. hawkguy2

hawkguy2 New Member

very cool video! and yeah +1 on what snakedriver said! i would love to see one with a strut fired!

6. tCan

tCan Active Member

I'd like to see this for the newer revisions. My understanding is that the improvements are significant. Cool little rifle. I'm considering something like this later down the road. Looking for a carbine length rifle in a compact sportster style. I've bumped into the Marlin Guide Gun and this Mini-14/30/6.8. Leaning towards the Mini14/30 as I've always thought the M1/M14 style breech was kinda sexy...

A heads up to anything fitting my above description chambered in medium-small caliber would be appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  7. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

The barrel movement is occurring after the bullet is on it's way.

8. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Thats nothing compaired to an AK in slow-mo.

Jim......

9. oldcrankyman

oldcrankyman New Member

That was my thought too.

10. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Absolutely, The round left the barrel before the barrel moved. I have seen this on a 1919a4 on a loose mount. The weapon is not clamped down, so it moves after its been fired.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Even bolt action rifles have barrel whip like that in super slo mo.