WASR AK's

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Gus556, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

Hey everyone.
    I see that many of you have the WASR AK's and I have yet to hear any real "bad" things about them.
    I am thinking of selling one of my hunting rifles to get one.
    All I am really looking for is a straight up utility rifle. Not looking to knock the nuts off a gnat at 200 yards or anything like that. Just something that is a hoot to shoot and is reliable to have on hand that can shoot 7.62x39 rounds. I already have 600-700 rounds from back when I owned an SKS, i just never got rid of them.
    I figure in a SHTF situation it would be handy to have a reliable 30 cal. to do what is needed. I have 3 AR's for accuracy and I also have my M1 carbine and of course my Remmy 700's for even longer shots.
    I am thinking the WASR is the hot set up for me. I have no intent to change anything, just keepin in factory finished.
    Opinions?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

For its intended purpose a WASR would serve/suit you well. The AK is like my Mosin Nagant; well built, rugged, reliable, good looking (in my opinion), and serves it purpose extremely well.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have a WASR and love it. There are a few things I would/did do to improve reliability. (Get rid of the Shepard's crook for one!)

You will enjoy this hoot-n-shoot gun. [​IMG]

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've had my WASR for five years and no problems. Only things I've done is cut off the muzzle nut and screw on a flash hider and sand/put tung oil on the stocks. Cheap and it's a fun gun that will do what you're describing.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Mine is a Hoot to Shoot. Get one and have fun.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5Yy3VSJ5Y]‪AK Kid‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

6. Korey

Korey New Member

for a cheap ''what ever'' gun the wasr is great. I have never had a problem with mine. For a good quality ak I would spend the extra and go milled receiver instead of stamped

7. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

My first Ak was a WASR love it :)

8. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I have had a WASR now for over a year and have had no problems with it. It was a good price for what it does, ammo isin't that expensive and its reliable.

Sure there are more expensive AK varients but I think the WASR is a good bang for the buck. Also there are plenty of companies that offer accesories for it, I know you are planing on keeping it stock, but its good to know you can custimize down the road.

See the problem I have with this place, is that its like alcaholics meeting at a bar!:D You ask us if you should buy a gun and we all jump on it like a hobo on a ham sandwhich, so on that note, why not? :)

9. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

Oh I know, any time if one asks about buying a gun all say HELL YEAH!
    I also know that if it is a gun that is legal to purchase in the US someone on this board either had it or has it. To that end I also know if it has a history of issues, someone will speak up and make mention of it.
    The rifle I plan on selling is a few hundred more than the WASR so I will be able to stock up on mags and ammo. Before I do that, I just wanted to ensure I was not buying something that works for 1000 rounds then needs to be rebuilt or turns to a paperweight.

10. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Just a tip, the WASR 10-63 with the chinese triangle are high qual and made out of mil spec parts.

Attached Files:

11. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Just to clarify, I dont have any problem with this place, what I said before was mearly a joke :). Yes there is tons of info on this site, its my internet home! I dont think you would be unhappy with a WASR

12. bo08

bo08 New Member

You can't really go wrong with any ak. My feelings toward them are they are the most reliable and field tested gun made so far.

13. coguns

coguns New Member

M10

hey go check out the M10 at Colorado Gun Sales - Swiss Firearms | SIG SAUER its a great ak and about the same price as the wasr! its comes with everything you will want is all brand new parts not used like the wasr! way better ak wasr is the bottom of the bucket get something you can have fun with with out all the jamming problems

14. Blaine

Blaine New Member

I have a WASR 10/63 and love it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJUfUJGPp_0]‪WASR-10UF AK 47 (Review)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDlGPzdX0s]‪WASR-10UF AK47 Rapid Fire V.S Jughead‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

15. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

The reason you hear bad things about the WASRs is because some people think they can get it to shoot better than an AR, it is not that type of gun. It is a gun that will shoot just about any ammo with out a jam, skip,or a ftf. You can pump the cheapest ammo through it & expect it to run without a hiccup. You can put it up after shooting, get it out 6 months later and expect it to run without a problem when you and your buddy's want to dump some lead downrange.
    There not purity the parts don't have a good finish the same people bitch wine & complain about how bad the one they HAD was. But when you buy one as long as you don't think it will change the world, it should be able to wast all the ammo you want to feed through it without a problem.

16. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

They are a good starter AK or trunk gun but eventually you will want something nicer. For me it was a beautiful underfolder built on a Polish parts kit. One big thing to look for is canted sights. I strongly suggest you find a place with a few in stock to examine and cherry pic.

17. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I hope this answers your question if a WASR is good to go. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNy1wKE0fz4&feature=channel_video_title"]‪AK-47 WASR 10/63 UNDERFOLDER: INITIAL SHOTS AT 600 METERS (656 YARDS) IRON SIGHTS‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Just be sure to inspect it well when you purchase, and you'll be happy. They aren't the prettiest, but they sure do work well.

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

WASRs are just fine and you can do things to sweeten them up. Go for it!!!