Wasr-10 Stock

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by User Name, Feb 9, 2010.

1. User Name

User Name New Member

I have a bone stock Wasr-10 with the unfinished wood stock and foregrip. I was thinking of putting a black synthetic stock and foregrip on it. What would be my best bet for the money, and how much $ do you think it would run?

2. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I have a buddy who changed his furniture out for Tapco stuff. He has an adjustable stock now with a better fit for non-midgets. He also gained some picatinny rails on the handguard/forestock. He kept his wood furniture for later. The plastic seems more durable & he doesn't worry about messing it up as much as he did the wood. The collapsable buttstock also allows him more variety in bags via a reduction in overall length. His is a WASR-10.

I'm not sure what brand magazines he uses, but they are clear plastic to allow you to visually see how many rounds you have left, pretty cool IMO.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

5. afi1

afi1 New Member

If you're getting an adjustable "M4" style stock, get a Command Arms Accessories over a TAPCO. The TAPCO is slanted down and feels cheaper. The CAA comes straight back and is rock solid. Cheaperthandirt has them.

6. User Name

User Name New Member

I like this one quite a bit. That would work for the WASR right? Also how hard are they to install?

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Are you referring to the synthetic? If so the hardest part is removing the original stock with out too much damage. Mine was so tight I had to put the receiver in a vise and beat/pry the stock out of the receiver. Just be sure to use some kind of protection between the mallet/hammer and wood. The hand-guard removal is simple just look up an AK manual on the web or order one from Midway for about $3.99 you'll need it in the case you ever want a better trigger or what not.

8. User Name

User Name New Member

Ok thanks alot. Yes I was refering to the synthetic stock.

9. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

No problem! Just be sure to hang on to that wood furniture. Never know when you might want to go back to the original look. I know the stock is short, but if you slap and 1 1/2" wrap around extension on it, it feels much better. :)

10. orangello

orangello New Member

My buddy argued with me that his WASR had the "milled" receiver, and he ordered the buttstock for a "milled" receiver. I tried to tell him they weren't talking about the magazine well that gets enlarged to accomodated doublestack mags, but he wouldn't listen. He actually got the part to fit, after about two hours of "adjusterizing" it. He has since replaced it with the proper "for stamped receiver" version. I think the back of the receiver is slanted on the "milled receiver" AK's.

Yes, i LOL'd at him repeatedly.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Last WASR I had was a milled receiver..It's different now?

12. orangello

orangello New Member

My buddy's WASR was purchased last year at a gun show, supposedly of recently acquired stock. It's receiver was stamped; it is my understanding that this is the norm and was one of the original big +'s or the AK platform, easier & cheaper to produce lots of them. The magazine well on his WASR was enlarged or "milled out" to allow the use of the more common double-stack magazines. In many catalogs, they offer different versions of the buttstock for the rifles with receivers stamped from sheets of metal than for the rifles with receivers milled out of a block of metal. According to his experience, one is angled while the other is more flat-fitting.

Perhaps i have been misinformed about the majority of them being stamped, but i'm sure his was.

13. User Name

User Name New Member

Yes the majority are stamped. To get a milled AK your going to be spending 1000+. Prob closer to 1500+.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I did see one on sale, may be today only:
    "BONUS RIFLE OF THE DAY
    CENTURY ARMS NEW CENTURION 39 U.S. MFG AK RIFLE"
    Classic Arms Inc. scroll down a bit. It says "milled receiver" & the receiver does look a bit different than my buddy's WASR. I have not used this vendor but have heard good things, YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  15. deth502

deth502 New Member

yup, thats a milled receiver rifle

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Yugos can be had for $700 RPK style w/ heavy barrel. Custom AKs from Lancaster w/ milled receivers can ever be had for less than 1k.