WASR 10 problems

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by kyle9831, Apr 26, 2011.

1. kyle9831

kyle9831 New Member

hey all, i just bought a wasr 10 double stack today. I have not fired the weapon yet, but i did load a magazine, rack the bolt, then tried to cycle a round and the bolt got stuck. i ended up putting the wasr on the ground barrel pointing up and kicking the charging handle down to get the round out. I tried to cycle rounds and the bolt locked every time. any advice?!:confused:

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

First thing I would ask was did you give it a good cleaning? Often times the AK variants are packed with grease and cosmoline for storage. Need to give them a good cleaning prior to using.

3. cuate

cuate New Member

Check the chamber

Were it mine with that problem, I would field strip the weapon as if for cleaning, thoroughly clean the barrel and chamber and with my fingers see if a cartridge would drop into the chamber without forcing it....

If not, it seemingly would be a problem for the seller or dealer to tend to.

4. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I'm gonna guess it's a Century Arms? If so, they're notorious for their really hit or miss quality control. I would do what others have suggested and clean the gun really well first to get any grease or cosmoline out of there, then see if you can drop a round into the chamber by hand with the gun still disassembled.

If that doesn't work then, like cuate said, you should talk to the dealer.

5. kyle9831

kyle9831 New Member

I cleaned the gun thoroughly of almost all cosmoline except for a few small amounts here and there, I will try and drop a round in when I get home.

6. shnorse

shnorse New Member

does the original mag work?

7. kyle9831

kyle9831 New Member

yea the original mags work, the bolt just locks up every round that i chamber

8. shnorse

shnorse New Member

is the magazine going to far into the receiver and hitting the bolt?
    can the mag be removed when the bolt is jammed?

9. gunzilla

gunzilla New Member

10. kyle9831

kyle9831 New Member

the magazine does not get caught in the action, i took it back to the store i purchased it from and they said they will take a look at it and get back to me. and gunzilla thanks for the link

11. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

WASR problems

I just got a WASR 3 from a gunsmith friend of mine. He fixed it for a customer who chose to sell it rather than keep it after it was fixed. I've run 120 rounds through it so far with the original steel magazine as well as 3 Pro-Mag and another brand I can't even remember the name of now. It's chambered for 5.56 x 45mm (5.56 NATO). I didn't experience any problems with it.

It's not my AR-15 carbine, but if it ever got stolen out of my trunk I wouldn't cry nearly as much since it cost less than the optical sight on my AR.

12. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

First time poster long time lurker...I bought my wasr 10 from century more than a year ago and ran into the same problem. After I took her apart noticed the gas tube was all sorts of jacked up like they were adjusting the gas tube nut with a hammer and dikes. Sorry its big im not so good with computers.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      93.6 KB
      Views:
  13. Ltriker

Ltriker New Member

I just bought a WASR 10 for $100 from a guy who said it would NOT function...when I picked it up, he gave me a couple of plastic aftermarket mags with it...i tossed the plastic, dropped in a steel mag, and the gun fires and functions properly.

Are you using a steel mag of quality manufacture?

What caliber is it?

7.62x39? 5.45x39?

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Are you sure you are using the proper ammo? If it's a 5.45, trying to stuff .223 into it would possibly cause this. . .

See what they tell you, if it's still not working there's some other stuff we could try.