Waskilly Wabbits!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Highpower, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Need help from any experienced trappers out there.

I've got a hoard of rabbits tearing up my lawn and they need to go. I've been trying to trap them and put them into a witness protection program.
    (AKA: relocation....)

I've tried peanut butter, fresh cabbage, lettuce, etc., etc. but I keep getting squirrels in the trap before the rabbits get to it. :mad:

Shooting them is out (city life blows....) and the arrogant little buggers know it - and will let you walk right up on them. They roam the neighborhood as they please. Any ideas for a squirrel filter or a better bait to use?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Use different bait at a higher location to get the squirrels interest. I don't think I've seen a rabbit eat bird seed from a feeder 6 foot tall.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Visit a grocer that carries carrots with the tops still attached. Bunnies do not eat the orange parts (no matter what Bugs does in the cartoons) but they will stand on your chest to get the carrot tops. You could also hit a store that carries rabbit food- get some of the alfalfa pellets they like.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Don't squirrels usually stay within dashing distance of trees; if yours usually do, maybe you could try some different trap locations more in clear areas of the yard.

Of course, you could just get rid of the treerats first, then the fluffy rats.

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

OK gents - thanks.

While I'm sure the squirrel feeder would help, I don't really want to open up a buffet for them and attract even more of them. I will give the carrot tops and pellets a go and see how that works out.

I did learn one thing. City squirrels aren't the brightest of the bunch. I started out doing a catch and release with them, and I know one of them keeps coming back for more. :eek:

Since then they ALL get new housing in a large park several miles away from their former stomping grounds. I'd rather spend the time moving out the danged rabbits though!

Appreciate the help guys.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I would coax them up with the carrot tops and then just stab them. Very swift and quiet that way.

7. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

Unless you decapitate them, rabbits can be pretty noisy. I would buy a slingshot and start taking a few headshots myself. But in this case he said he was trapping them so I would take the slingshot and shoot the squirrels instead.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Then I would gag them before I stab them.

9. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Enlarge the trap holding area and put in a tame rabbit. A female is best as will attract both sexes into the trap. Why relocate when you can eat????

10. Highpower

Highpower New Member

The wife is against harming any of the "cute little animals". Need I say more?
    Mind you, she's not against "hunting" and understands the reasons and need for it. Just as long as "I" am not the one doing the hunting... :rolleyes:

But she spoils me rotten every single day, so I don't mind a bit. :)

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You apparently have never watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg]YouTube - Holy Grail - Killer Bunny[/ame]

Don't soil your armor!!

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Sharp pointy teeth.

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Oh, it's just a harmless litt'l bunny inin it???

LOL! Good one Spitty. Don't know why I didn't think of it. I loves me some MP.

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

See, I would have thought Spitty too young to know Python. The guy just never ceases to amaze.
    [​IMG]

15. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Probably caught it late night on Nickelodeon..... :p

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'll have you both know I watched that movie on the big screen!!!

It was just a few years ago at a local single screen theater/micro brewery/pizzaria.....$5 got you the pint of the day and a movie ticket. You sit you sofa, eat pizza and drink beer. I saw it 20 times long before that though.

Asheville Pizza & Brewing Company

17. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

What he said, plus a big rat trap and/or a good sling shot. That can be fun.

18. Highpower

Highpower New Member

No can do.....

My brother has borrowed all my big rat traps for some reason. Don't know why. :confused:

[​IMG]

19. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

Wabbitts

I was thinking about buying one of them Blow guns that I saw made by Cold Steel I saw their video on them & they are great for rabbit hunting & other small game like pidgons, doves etc, check it out on their web site, Blow gun's may be the way to go, for about $50.00 including the different broadhead's darts for them.? :cool: