Was this weird? (Talking to military personnel)

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CrazedJava, Sep 17, 2013.

1. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I don't think I was thinking straight. I got stranded during a recent business trip and was tired and weary by the time I got to my hotel for the night. My plans including doing jack and squat (I watched movies on my Kindle and ordered room service. I achieved my goal of doing as little as possible.)

Anyway, after FINALLY getting picked up at the airport and FINALLY checking in I ended up on an elevator with a couple of girls in the Navy. I do mean girls to because they were pretty young, but one of them looked like they were wearing a Warrant Officer insignia on their cap. W-2 maybe? Not sure what that rank is in the Navy. Anyway, as I exited the elevator I looked back at them and said "Thank you for your service". They replied in unison "Thank you!", which was pretty cool.

Still, was that a weird thing to do? I run into military personnel all the time and I'm always tempted to buy them a meal or do something for them at the airport.

2. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Weird...???

Not in the least. You're a good person... You appreciate the dedication, service and even sacrifice of others. Good on ya there friend :D

You really want to feel good.. This upcoming holiday season, send some $$ to the Wounded Warrior Project and/or the USO.

3. cotex

cotex New Member

I have done that very same thing In airports. Out of the blue thanked a person in uniform. Serval times, always the same response , a smile from the fact that they are being recognized. As far as a meal I think it is exactly what we should do when we can if you've hot the change and the time. Great idea thank you for opening my eyes to it. Done and done!

4. hoovco

hoovco New Member

It's a nice gesture. Don't sweat it.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I shake the hand of every service member I see. On your next encounter with navy girls, called waves, try and set up something to ride the waves.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I always preferred "welcome home" over "thank you". But when I was in, it was pretty much a given that you'd spent time overseas. Not so much anymore.

A few weeks ago, our local NG unit was heading out. About 2 days before, I saw a soldier, sergeant, eating alone in the restaurant I was having lunch in. I knew he was being ready to deploy, and it was probably one of the last few decent meals he'd have for a while, so I picked up the bill for him.

I didn't say anything. Didn't introduce myself. I just asked the lady at the register if his meal had already been paid for, and when she said it hasn't, I asked her to put it on my card, then I left.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very nice thing to do, Trip! I did pretty much the same thing recently. Soldier alone, I did thank him for his service then unknown to him paid at the register. Figured it would be embarrassing to offer directly but a pleasant surprise when he tried to pay after I was gone.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

You are a good guy Java; the way that started off, I was wondering if I had wandered into the Penthouse Forum again with a story about an elevator getting stuck, etc.

9. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Too old, too married.

Whoops, probably should have mentioned there was also an older couple on the elevator with us. Big elevator.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Kinky! LOL :D

11. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

When I was in, it always awkward for me when people thanked me or bought me meals or drinks. Now I'm out, I do the same thing to the youngins and not so youngins in service today. I pick up meals but I have to admit, I tend to do it more for the old guys wearing there veterans hat. Kind of have a soft spot for the Korean War guys. My grandfather joined at the end of WW2 then got out during the Korean War.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have picked up a few meals for youngster in uniform without them knowing it- most cashiers are willing to join in the conspiracy. If you do, be sure to include a tip for their server.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I still find it difficult to receive praise from civilians and i'm out since Desert Storm. These days I mentor a few younger vets( mid-20's to early 30's) who are home from the current conflicts. They all now "thanks" older WWII & Korean War Vets, as well as the "younger" guys from the Vietnam era. A close friend of mine recently wrote and directed a documentary about Vietnam vets working with current era vets,..

14. Alwayscarrying

Alwayscarrying New Member

Stuff like that is always nice to hear. Right out of basic at the airport to leave Fort Benning i wasnt sure how to handle it when someone paid for my red bull. But thats a hell of a good day. Free red bull and leaving sand hill. But seriously, a thank you or a kind word goes a long way.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

It's always an appreciated gesture. I didn't know what to say at first, for awhile. Lately my go-to line has been, "It's been my pleasure," with as big a smile and as firm a handshake as I can muster.

Just curious - I've never noticed, but do people do these things for cops? I would think the sacrifice they make would be deserving of it. I've never done it, because I've never thought of it. Also, if I see a cop in uniform I try to avoid them, as they're probably on duty and I figure it would be rude and stupid for a LAC to come up and distract them. I can see picking up their meal if they're eating, but what do you guys think about thanking them, same as military?

16. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I bought lunch for an old WWII vet the other day. The ladies at the license bureau gave me a discount when I renewed my plates and drivers license when they asked me if I was veteran. I think it's perfectly normal to thank those that are serving and those that have served. You did good.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yes, cops deserve the same courtesy.

18. Donn

Donn Active Member

Nothing odd about it. The guys in my VVA chapter make it a point to recognize someone's service, show them it's appreciated. Something we didn't get when we came back.

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I think we all connect with the Service Member somehow but many of us dont truly connect with LEO's in the same way. I dont know why exactly but suspect that its because the SM actually does give up everything near and dear to them to serve, LEO's dont necessarily do the same because there is no need to.

There is only one legal job in the US that pays their youngest employees less than minimum wage and requires them to work up to 24 hours a day for that wage, the US military. We also demand they give up some of their BOR's and rights we hold so dear. Lastly, a service members last plane ride could very well be as cargo; a desolate trip from somewhere they tried to make a difference at to somewhere they will never again have a chance to see from above ground level.

When a LEO pays the ultimate price, they generally have a wall of Blue to stand beside them, when a SM does the same, its just protocol to close the book on them. Both may be required by their jobs to pay the ultimate price of death or permanent disability but during the last 15 years, its been the service member that has done so at an extreme rate weve not asked anyone to do since Vietnam.

Thanks for thanking the Vet, it wont fix their lives but it may bring a little smile to their day!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  20. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a PH license plate on the truck and DoD sticker in the windshield so occasionally I'll get a thanks and I do appreciate it. I always make it a point to thank folks in uniform.

You've heard the cliche about Vietnam vets getting spit on. Well I never got spit on--if somebody had ever spit at me I would've boot-stomped their ass--but I do remember the sneers, usually in airports, people giving my uniform this look of disdain. Liberals, of course, the leftist elitists. And surprisingly it was mostly women, not only hippy chicks but a few older women as well, like I was some kind of piece of dirt. I shrugged it off but it hurt a bit. And I must admit I still have some bitterness over the way we were treated back then, snubbed socially, labeled as drug-addled baby killers. The libs and leftists considered everybody in uniform a William Calley. And I've always resented fellow Vietnam veterans who became flaming radicals, like John Kerry, who did their best to amplify and validate the myth and stereotype that we were all homicidal baby-killers. And they did it just to further their ambitions and ingratiate themselves with the people who were "cool."

The only thing worse than coming home from combat and having to readjust to life among civilians is coming home from combat into an unwelcoming hostile environment. Yes, thank them any chance you get. And my advice to young servicemen and women is never take those thanks for granted.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013