Was refused 22 LR at my local Walmart for lack of a "license"

Discussion in 'New York Gun Forum' started by TheNYResistance, Feb 21, 2012.

1. TheNYResistance

TheNYResistance New Member

So I bought my first 10 22 at the orange county gun show last Sunday, good times. So off I go to buy cheap ammo at Walmart. The semi retarded guy asks if I have a license, I say, "do you mean a pistol permit" he says yes, and I say, well I want the ammo for a rifle. He correctly points out that the ammo can be used for pistols, but this is retarded. I know I'm using the word retarded a lot, but after a year of waiting for my pistol permit, in this crap state, that is the best word to describe them.

I ordered online from Cabelas and the ammo is on it's way with no issues so far. Fingers crossed.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Wally's is convenient for ammo, but there are better places to buy ammo. I buy there when it is inconvenient to order online. They will have more knowledgable help at a sporting goods/hunting store.

edit* Apologies, didn't realize i was in the NY forum. I'm not sure about the availability of a hunting store for you; if you have one, they might be more understanding than the wally's employee. I am proud of you for persevering through the excessive regulations to pursue the fine sport of shooting.

If it gets to bad there, there is still property available in MS, but it does get hot here.
    ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain - both near me - don't ask for a handgun license to buy ammo. I'm pretty sure Bass Pro Shop doesn't, either. (A few exits away on the Thruway...haven't been there, yet.)

Wally World isn't worth much these days. The only thing made in America is ammo and you need to beg to get it. Screw 'em.

If the places mentioned above aren't near you, buy online like you did. You shouldn't have any problems.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

you should be just fine. i order ammo all the time and it gets dropped right on my doorstep.. wall aworld is exactly how you put, retarded. hey if they dont want your money. so be it.im pretty sure even tho it might cost a few more bucks i'll be buying my ammo online or at the LGS

5. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Move to a free State were you don't need a sticking permit.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

I think they are OK on sticks and knives, 007; it's the firearms that are over regulated. ;)

7. bkt

bkt New Member

No, we need permits to own sticks, too. It's a harsh state....

8. TheNYResistance

TheNYResistance New Member

Thanks for the support guys. Funny story, today I went back to Wally world for an emergency outlet plate and thought I'd go to sporting goods and get lucky enough to get a different guy. Perhaps I would get a different answer, no such luck, same dude.

I did see a victorinox spartan I liked and asked the guy to UNLOCK the dangerous instrument for me.

As soon as I said, can I, he said "no" probably thought I was back for ammo, but he listened again, remember, he is mentally off, I let it slide.

So I tell him what I want. He nicely goes, unlocks it, and says, "let me walk you to the cashier with this" a tiny pocket knife people. The cashier takes it, the machine asks, 18 or older? Sadly, she didn't card me, and I was off with my dangerous weapon which includes a corkscrew, ****ing NYS,

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so bkt, do you go to the gander mt. near market place mall? my best friend works behind the gun counter there

10. vincent

vincent New Member

NYR...I just can't wrap my little pea brain around that, for .22lr, or any ammo for that matter, to refuse to sell to you...is just...well, you know. I mean, around here you can't swing a dead cat around by the tail...(sorry 'Gello) without hitting 10 places dying to unload stock. Just so sorry you guys have to deal with this stuff....:mad: Always a place in Dixie for ya!!! :cool:

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

There's been a lot of talk about Wally Whirled and ammo lately...
    I bought some .45 ACP there this evening, first time buying ammo at wally's in years.
    The only thing that was said to me, "do you have more shopping to do?"
    Me, "yes"
    Clerk, "I'll just stick this under the counter for you, I'm sure you don't want to carry around 150 rounds, it's kind of hefty..."
    "Thanks man"

Guy didn't ask for an ID or anything. Just rang it up, punched in a date, and stuck it in the bag...

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I buy almost all my ammo at WalMart and I've never had a problem.

13. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Same for me. I bought a box of 30-30 and two boxes of .22 Magnum. The lady unlocked the case and handed it to me. Asked her if I had to pay for it there. She said "you can pay for it here or up front when you check out." I just put it in my cart and they rang it up with the bread and milk.

14. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

When I purchased 22LR ammo at Walmart, the lady asked me what I was using it for, I said my rifle, she cashed me out. No further questions. I'm in RI by the way, another semi tough firearms regulating state. I suppose it depends on who you have behind the counter on any given day?

15. bkt

bkt New Member

Yup, that's the one. I usually only ever buy ammo but they sometimes have some pretty good deals on old military rifles. (Rare, but it happens.)

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the only issue i have ever had when buying ammo at WalMart is our store requires you to pay for it in sporting goods. if i have other shopping to do, i just keep the receipt in my pocket and keep it handy and put the ammo in the buggy and go about my shopping. seems as of lately, in our WalMart, they have some people who work the sporting goods that seem to have some common sense about themselves. kind of rare, i know. there is one older lady who usually works sporting goods, that actually knows a little about firearms and ammo that is always very helpful. i just hope they don't move her into another department!

17. culdee

culdee New Member

I try to buy all my ammo from a small local dealer, to hell with walmart. For larger volumes sometimes I go online to Ammoman or ammo to go etc. Our Dicks is retarded too about ammo and paranoid to the max about guns and letting you handle them. What is it with chain stores anyway? Support your local dealer and he'll be there when you need him.

18. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Dick's Sporting Godds WILL ask to see your pistol permit IF you're buying pistol ammo. My son and myself bought several boxes of .45 acp ammo and the first thing the clerk asked for was a pistol permit. Gander Mt didn't require it.

19. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Most of their ammo is way over priced. Biekirks is the place to go for ammo.

20. vincent

vincent New Member

Nothing against our members from NY but.....NY CAN SUCK IT!!!!!!:mad: