was looking at cetme's

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by chevyforlife1972nova, Jul 31, 2011.

1. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

I have been looking to get into the 308 caliber
    saiga 308,cetme, AR10 or PTRS
    The cetme is a good price but I have heard all the ones in the country are parts kits builds ? and bad barrels?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you are looking for a .308 CETME, best be sure that is what you buy- NOT 7.62 NATO, or 7.62 CETME.

3. chevyforlife1972nova

ok

could you school me on why? i thought 7.62 nato was good so u can shoot both 7.62 and 308?

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A .308 Winchester can shoot 7.62 NATO. Reverse is not always true. Reverse is DEFINTELY not true for 7.62 CETME. Difference in max load pressures.

A 5.56 rifle can safely shoot .223, but reverse not always true.

5. chevyforlife1972nova

Ok thank you I saw cetme for 500 bucks and wanted to get one but people say stay away from the century arms?
    I really just want a accurate 308 with at least a 20 round mag under 1000 dollars

6. seasmoke

seasmoke New Member

Cai cetme

The CAI CETMEs are known to be 'hit or miss'. If you do buy one get it direct from Century so if you have any problems, you can send it back. I bought one from them and after a little tinkering, it runs great. Century buys these firearms, ships them to the US and detroys the receiver and barrel and rebuilds them using a mix of original and new 'made in the USA' parts.
    If your into the CETME design,also take a look at the PTR-91 GI. These go for around $900.
    As to the ammo question, best to stick with 7.62 NATO(READ LINK)
    Don't be scared away from the CETME, just be prepared to tinker. I love mine

The Gun Zone -- .30 Caliber Ammo

Also, HK mags can be had in like new cond for .97 and many other parts are available.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

cai is an importer they dont make firearms

8. seasmoke

seasmoke New Member

Cai

CAI is the largest importer of firearms into the US. Under the watch-ful eye of the BATF, select fire receivers and barrels are de-milled. CAI then 'farms' out the re-building of the parts with some new USA parts and we get some pretty cool firearms. Does CAI make firearms? You say no. I say.. good for you CAI

9. chevyforlife1972nova

thank you

I like the ptr they are sweet looking

10. seasmoke

seasmoke New Member

11. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

To clear up a misconception, the CETME is perfectly fine with .308Win ammo, pressurewise. It is far more forgiving of pressure differences in ammo than most gas-operated rifles. Where the problem comes in is the brutal extraction/ejection of the CETME. This results in ripping of the thinner commercial .308 cases in half - been there, done that. It isn't pretty, and can end your shooting for the day. Luckily I did not need a broken-shell extractor.
    I now do my handloads for the CETME using once-fired 7.62X51 brass - it is thicker than commercial. It means taking care with loads too, as the case capacity is a bit less. I load to military-comparable specs, as I also have the Spanish Mausers to feed. Those should definitely NOT use .308Win ammo!