Was going to buy another Glock until I saw this. Wow.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mr. Wick, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

I was against guns and maybe a bit scared of firearms until all hell started breaking loose on earth. I got one to protect my family and I. Then I gave my dad a brand new Glock 17 Gen5. I look at them as powerful weapons that can cause death in the hands of the wrong or untrained person. I also find some of them beautiful. Like some people like the look of cars or paintings. I like the look of guns. But I know ultimately I need to be well trained. I have two classes lined up this month.

PeeJay1313, primer1, PANDEMIC and 2 others like this.
  2. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Cool hope the classes go well. I sometimes teach folks on an informal level. Some folks listen and do well. Others are to worried about the cell phone lol. One young man that i was proud of. Listened real close on how to aim. I had him shoot my colt 1911-22 rail gun. He was hitting cans in no time. Only gun he had shot before was a 30/30 his uncle was showing him.

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.

3. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I like H&K. They charge more than their worth.
    SiG is solid hardware and value. Glock is Glock.
    I like Walther. Smith M&P Shield is good. I prefer a 2011 to a 1911 because I got spoiled carrying a ParaOrdnance P14 that my wife bought me for fathers day 22 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    PANDEMIC, Rifling82 and PaBushMan like this.
  4. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Kimber makes Rapide Black Ice in 9mm and 10mm as well as a 45. I want 9mm. However, is this gun to big to carry concealed? Screenshot_20200802-094343_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200802-094021_Gallery.jpg

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Of 1911s and looks, I think my one of my favorite configurations of the 1911 is the MEU SOC pistol. The Marines had a bunch of 1911s that were pretty much “shot out”. They kept serviceable frames, and obtained new commercial off the shelf parts and rebuilt them with some improvements, to keep them in service.

I encountered one Marine Gunnery Sargent on deployment who was carrying one of these. The amount of wear was impressive as well as the fact that it had no rust or pitting.

I like the look of a pistol that looks like it was built for business and has been put to work.

[​IMG]

ellis36, schnuffleupagus and PANDEMIC like this.
  6. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

I think aside from self protection a lot of people admire firearms for their beauty, rarity, and collectability.

JimRau and PANDEMIC like this.
  7. schnuffleupagus

Its a full sized pistol so concealabilty depends on your body type and how you plan to carry.
    Some skinnier fellers can carry a 1911 government concealed, i do not know how comfortable they are having never been one.

8. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Yeah. I don't want to carry around a $1,500 concealed 9mm if it's not comfortable. If I'm going to spend that kind of money and can't carry it I'll get it in a 45. I'm 6'3 225lbs.

formerCav and schnuffleupagus like this.
  9. SSGN_Doc

Indeed, many of us collect pistols for their design and beauty.

I don’t have any that are strictly to just look at, but some folks do.

for me the closest I get are pistols that show some lines I like for their aesthetic looks, but also have a sense of practicality.

I think my CZ SP01 is probably one of the pistols I bought, because I really liked the look of it as well as the way that it fits my hand and points naturally. It's also quite an accurate pistol And many folks use variations of the SP01 for competitive shooting.
    Probably my personal favorite that I own, based on looks alone.

[​IMG]

10. schnuffleupagus

Do you know how you plan to carry? With a long body like that you have all of the options open to you.

11. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

I would like to carry it on my right side.

PeeJay1313 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  12. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

That's gorgeous. Love the colors.

13. schnuffleupagus

14. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

I bought two Alien Holsters. After talking to a bunch of people at the range, friends , and other gun enthusiasts on line I came to the conclusion that Alien would best fit me. The holster is specifically designed for your gun.

15. SSGN_Doc

Also, on collecting for fandom. The Wather P99AS was on my list, once James Bond upgraded to 9mm from the old .32 ACP PPK. (They have partly emasculated Bond once again and put him back to a PPK in .380).

The P99AS is also one of the few striker fired pistols I will appendix carry, because it has features Glocks and other striker fired pistols don’t have. DA/SA trigger system, Decocker, cocked striker indicator which can be felt when holstering.

I personally like the looks and find it very ergonomic as well as comfortable for carry, because of the grip shape. Others don’t care for the looks. Some don’t like the paddle release for the magazine, but I find it very convenient and ambidextrous, being positioned at the base of the trigger guard.

[​IMG]

16. SSGN_Doc

Some finishes hold up better than others, but eventually they will all wear with holster use. Two of my most frequently carried pistols are the Beretta Px4 Storm Compact and a CZ P07. Both have custom Kydex holsters from the same manufacturer. The Beretta finish is just softer on the surface than the CZ. After 2,000 rounds and a lot of drills from the holster, the Beretta showed a lot more wear than the CZ. But the CZ is starting to get some shiny spots as both pistols get over the 3,000 round count.

17. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

don't worry. here is my full size double stack kimber 1911 in 45 ACP that holds 14 + 1 rounds. Get a good holster and a good gun belt and you will have no problems.
    I was 5'11" and 220 pounds in this picture. I have gotten down to 200 and still carries the same
    the Target is 14 rounds on target from 21 feet (at start) and running diagnolly away from it and dumping the 14 rounds in 10 seconds. First 2 rounds from CCW were on target (standing still) in 8/10 second then run. This was after 20 minutes of practice!! Times got SLOWER after that. Managed to fall on my azz once too.

CCW kimber 1.JPG CCW kimber 2.JPG CCW kimber 3.JPG

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    primer1 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  18. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Thank you so much for providing all of those pictures. Very nice gun. Very nice. I appreciate everyone's help and advice on the forum as I continue to grow and learn.

19. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

If your into 1911s like a lot of us. You can always look at the Kimber altra II. Its a subcompact 1911. Thats what I carry.

20. Richard062

Richard062 New Member