Was given Great Grandpa's rilfe today

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by jebsca, Aug 16, 2013.

1. jebsca

jebsca New Member

One of my mom's brothers was in town today, and pulled out his papa's rifle and gave it to me today. Was a great suprise for the day. Made it hard to set and talk with familey that I hadn't seen in about a year without my mind sraying to the rifle. Had been thinking about going to the range tomorrow and shooting my 22s. Now it looks like I will have another rifle to take and an uncul that will be going with me.

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Cool sounds like fun. What's the rifle? Pics. Pics. Pics.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

There really is nothing like a Legacy Gun.

They always hold a special place in your

heart.

4. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Um, I don't know. I will have to check it out in the morning. Pics will have to hold off until then too. I didn't see anything on it as to a brand for anything at first glance. I hope to find out more history about it tomorrow.

5. jebsca

jebsca New Member

The rifle is a Marlin 89, 89A if I remember right.

At work yesterday, I had been thinking that I would sneak off to the range and shoot a few 22 rifles. When I got to town, I found out my uncle was in town, and stopped in to see him, only to find out he wanted to give me the rifle. We made plans to go to the range with that rifle along with a few others. My uncle told me a bit about the rifle that his uncle had given to it to my great grandpa over 60 years ago (he was thinking (50-52).

We ended up finishing off a brick today, so I think it was a good day. As we were shooting, I pointed out a flower, and had it knocked it down in two shots. He was thinking it was a sign I was a good shot. I told him it was the rifle. It took him another two shots to get his flower cut down. I think we ended up using something like 50-70 rounds to get the next flower. It was a very good time.

I still need to get y'all the pics. Maybe that will happen tomorrow, or maybe I will just sneak off to the range again. New toys are so much fun, especially if it is not new at all, but from a few generations ago in your family.

6. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

22 LR caliber, lever action? Model 39A.

7. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Its not a lever. It is an 89C. Semi Auto, Bolt action, Magazine Fed.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  8. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Here are the pics I have been saying I would put up. She needs some detailed cleaning and a few parts replaced, but she is a good shooter.

Attached Files:

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Interesting. Found it in the Blue Book under Semi-Auto Promotional Models.
    Made from 48 to 61.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Congrats. I have nothing from my family. But I am building a nice collection to pass on to my son. He is 14 and quite a shooter.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I inherited Almost all of My Uncle's & Dad's Guns, including a few shot in WWI, plus Auto Ord. "working commemorations" of my Dad's 45 & Tommy Gun from the Korean War..
    Already have Buyers for the Presentation 75th Annv. 1911(1986), and the 100th Annv. SAA (1973)...still selling the 1892 Krag & the strait stock 1903....no Kids to pass (the rest of)them on to,..but possibly one of my Nieces or Nephews....

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

Awesome! I remember getting my Grandfather's Glenfield mod 60 years ago.

13. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

That is so cool!! :)

14. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

I gotta agree. I paid too much for some of my grandfathers guns, but sure wasnt gonna rip off my own grandmother. Lol. Nothing special in the value dept., but they mean alot to me.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a few that have been passed down but I too am doing the same thing adding stuff to my collection for my kids, I have 2 of my grandfathers one rifle one shot gun and one of my great grandfathers .22 rifles . There isnt going to be a fight over money in my family because I intend on spending it all on my self :D , well adding to my collection and the kids can fight over that .

16. jebsca

jebsca New Member

This 22 rifle from my great grandfather is added to a shotgun and a muzzle load pistol from my grandfather. I would have a 2e pistol and rifle from him, but my dad said he wanted them. They are in my safe and I use them as I see fit, so I can't complain. They may not be much, but they are the best part of my colection.

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Jeb, its an honor to receive a firearm as a gift especially if its been passed down in your family. All but one of my firearms is one or the other, some have 4 generations of owners and that ads to the specialness of it in a way breaking open a brand new shiny one will never do. Treasure it and pass it on when it comes time!

18. rurak

rurak New Member

My father has a small .25 caliber pistol that my grandfather supposedly took off of a German officer that he killed. I'm not sure about that story but its a cool pistol. He also had a hand grenade he brought back but another uncle got that.

19. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Grandpa's rifle

Enjoy shooting it, your Grandpa would have wanted you to!:) Cliff