Wary of MOE.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by broke-again124, May 19, 2012.

1. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

I'm building a designated hunting rifle in .300 blk and I'm wondering would MOE hand guards affect its accuracy since they aren't free floating. Anyone know?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

for hunting it doesnt matter. and either wa its only fractions of an inch at hunting ranges either way. you dont see any real benefit from free float tubes until you get way past any ethical hunting distance.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with JonM, most free float rails that are installed aren't taken advantage of by the shooter. Either due to skill level or their intended use or even ammo type.

MOEs are an excellent low cost, low weight handguard.

4. broke-again124

Any quad rail that rivals the MOE guards weight benefit?. (or lack of weight)

5. Car54

Car54 New Member

I use one of these on one of my 300Blk hunting guns:http://www.shootertactical.com/UTG-...Split-Slim-Rail-System---Black--MTU001S-.html

It's strong and lightweight and made in the USA now.

If you are going to be on foot doing a stalk quite a bit, going lightweight as you can with your rifle. If you'll be stand hunting, it won't matter a whole lot.

The last hunt I went on I took my heavier 300Blk figuring I would be in the stand most of the time. Turned out later that afternoon I was on foot stalking until dark and I wish I had my lighter rifle with me.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

not at the moe price point. just dont go cheap on ff tubes, cheap as in quality. rra, mi, dd, troy and a few others are excellent quad rails. i dont see the need for em on a hunting gun. you can add rail setions on moe guards for lights and such.

drop in tubes are just like the moe guards you dont mount sights or optics on them.

if your going to mount optics or sights on the forward rail your going to want a rail that attaches very solid and can be aligned with the upper receiver rail.

ive got a ff tube with halfquad rails on my 458 socom. carrying it sling it digs in the back. i havent humped it any great distance yet but i think i wouldnt like the sharp edges.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  7. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

People don't realize how heavy MOEs are. I went from a MOE to Samson. The rifle was noticably lighter w/ the Samson.

IWC makes mounts that do not require those little rail sections. Helps keep weight down and reduces points of failure.

If your using a sling the FF is a better choice when you start putting a good amount of pressure on the sling.

I'm a big fan of tubes like the Troys and Samsons.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'm actually quite impressed with Midwest Industries SS gen2 rails. A little lighter and cheaper than Samsons and Troys. Uses a factory nut. Lots of extras included. But like most of these lightweight rails, they heat up quick, but also cool down pretty quick too. And they bolt on nice and tight. They also come with alot of extras, including a barrel nut, rail sections, bipod (swivel) stuff and qd rail section.

MI isn't usually know for great lw products but this one is quite impressive. The overall diameter is also a bit smaller than my Samson Evo/Rainer Arms rail. So if you want a thin, lightweight tube, I'd recommend it.

9. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Smaller diam. might be nice. I will say it's hard to believe they can be lighter than a Samson though. The included extras are nice. Don't they use the old Troy style mounting system? I have had a few Troys and never a problem but I hear others talking about the threads stripping. Like I said they have been GTG for me.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Mike I gotta call BS on this one , unless your removing the front iron sight then I will give ya that and say you are right as that thing does weigh a ton , but its going to be pretty hard pressed to say that any of the samson rails are lighter than a MOE in mid length or any length . I looked them all up just to put myself in check and low and behold I was right

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Would you put a tube on an AR and keep the OE FSP?

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yes I would if thats what I wanted , if I was running a 7" HG on a carbine length I would put the FSP back on it , and now you dont even need to take the FSP off with the way some of these handguards are set up . My Troy isnt heavy but going from a carbine length handguard to a 15" handguard I sure noticed a difference even removing the FSP . For the money MOE stuff is pretty hard to beat

13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I like it as well. Check out tactical yellow visor. He actually weighed all those hand guards. I don't remember the outcome. All I know is when I went from a midlength MOE to an eleven inch Samson Evo (tube) it felt noticeably lighter. I sold it and now have a 13" Troy. I feel any tube shorter than 11" is a waste as it defeats the purpose of a tabular rail.

14. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

A free float tube of 4 inches serves the purpose of a free float tube. Less than 11inches may not meet your needs but it still serves its intended purpose. To free float the barrel and give you someplace to put your hand when shooting. Your comfort when shooting is a happy by product.

EDUB

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

All in know is MOE + d ring +end cap + fsb weighs more than a. 12" Samson evo + lo pro gas block + diamondhead front buis.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

My preference would be for a1 style triangle handguards but they dont come in a midlength size that ive ever found. For me the moe is as close to that perfect ergonomic feel of the a1 style as i can get.

If the moe and fsb and cap and delta ring do weigh a scootch more than certain other things, its a weight price im willing to pay for better ergonomics for my tastes

I would prefer a folding fsb but all of em are held by set screws. I dont feel comy with the clamp ons and i dont want a ff tube

17. broke-again124

What, in your opinion, is the purpose of a tubular rail. ? Just wondering.

18. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Proper/ more proficient support hand placement that translates into faster more accurate shooting. Plus overall weight savings especially over the barrel which increases balance which benefits weapons manipulation. All very important things in my opinion. The longer and lighter the better it appears. And in my experience it has proven true. Worst case scenario, the guy who gets rounds on target first wins.

The gamers are a great place to look.

19. billt

billt New Member

I really like any and all of the Midwest Industries Handguards. They are impressively well made for the price, and very consistent. I know they are very popular, but I just can't get used to the look of the Mag-Pul MOE handguards. I think it's because they look almost identical to the plastic case my wife's electric kitchen knife came in.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

LOL , never thought about that Bill you must have one very similar to ours , now that you mention it its similar shaped but a little bit bigger