warning on Japanese rifles.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by mountainman13, Oct 26, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have a WWII bring back sitting on my bench. The bolt is in pieces and stuck in the gun. The stock does not appear to have ever been removed nor does the butt pad. Do I take it apart?
    The answer (for me Atleast) is NO.
    Why?
    They were occasionally boobie trapped.
    I will have the gun X-rayed first.
    I was talking to an old timer about it and he told me about his friend who got one in and had not been warned. He removed the butt pad and heard a click. He began to move his hand towards the opening in the stock to explore what the noise was and BOOM!
    He lost three fingers on his right hand and a piece of wood shot clean through his left hand. He was lucky to survive but his gunsmithing career was over.
    I like my fingers where they are and post this warning because I assume you do also.

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I want some pics!! Ive never heard of that, let alone ever seen one! :)

I would think somebody wouda checked that out before bringing it home...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

3. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

LOL WOW this old myth rearing it's head yet again. Man this one is an oldie.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah its a myth. You keep thinking that.
    I'll keep my fingers.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Huh. I can honestly say I have never heard this one, myth or not. :confused:

Seems feasible, but one would have to assume that the Japanese would have the forethought to consider their rifles to be battlefield pick ups.

Which means they would have had to conclude their troops were dead (or captured).

Which means they would have had to conclude they were at least losing ground.

If they did that, that is some sneaky tactics right there. There was no talk about that sh*t in Art of War. :eek:

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

If you hear a click, I suggest you run like hell. :eek:

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

MM...

I thought I'd heard em all but this is NEW one for me.

Exactly how or why would a soldier booby trap his own rifle. Particularly the Japanese who were arguably the most tennasious fighters we ever faced.

These guys would launch a bayonet charge into a line of flame thrower equipped tanks before they would surrender!

Now...if the story were captured French rifles blowing off German fingers...I'd buy that, hell, the French Manual of Arms only has 1 command. WE SURRENDER! :D

Tack

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It was new to me too. This story was verified by two people who know the guy and they live on different sides of the country. It is true.
    If they hadn't verified it separately, the gun wouldn't be sitting in a rack waiting to be x-rayed. No bs.

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

If it does end up being booby trapped, what will you do?

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I don't doubt the story you heard MM. Just does not sound plausible from an enemy willing to fight to the last man as the Japanese were.

The x ray should be interesting, please post it when it comes in.

Tack

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I cant find any stories to that effect..
    If you do in fact have a explosive laden Arisaka, its the only one in existence and worth a mint, Id imagine.....

I have read that guns, swords, etc were used in booby traps, IE: tied to explosives or other traps, but not being the trap itself...

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

My father fought in the Pacific and it was a common practice for the enemy to leave swords on the ground, which were booby trapped, knowing that the Americans wouldn't hesitate snatching them up.

This might sound a little heartless and I am getting older having less scruples, but I'd just bring the rifle over to a gunsmith and ask him to fix it and leave him my phone number. After all he's the expert and please don't plant any scarey thoughts in his head.

13. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Glocks are a lot like that.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If I have it xrayed I will post pics. It may not be worth it depending on cost. If it is trapped I will jb weld the screws in and hang it on my wall. If not I will fix and sell it.

15. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

My dad picked up an Arisaka infantry rifle and a sniper rifle when he went into Japan at wars end.
    He got them at the garbage dump.
    There were thousands of weapons in piles where they had just thrown them away.I never heard of one blowing up, but I can see someone who was bitter about losing the war doing something like that to his weapon before tossing it.

16. hmh

hmh New Member

We had a similar story about the ak battle field pick ups. They came down and gave free no consequence inspections. It was something about holes being drilled in the barrel that would when shot allow the gasses to explode the wood hand guard.

17. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You could send it to me... Im not scared! :eek: :p

18. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

My dad brought an Arisaka back from the Pacific and as a kid I disassembled that thing two or three times (and got it back together...except for two tiny springs from the anti-aircraft deflection wings of the ladder sight) and nothing went "boom". You might note if the chrysanthemum emblem on the receiver is still intact or has been ground off. The grinding of the emblem was done by the allies to "de-militarize" the rifles and many (like mine) had the firing pin broken off short to further make them "safe". Arisaka's also have a butt-plate held on by screws without an access door for a cleaning kit so it would be extremely difficult for them to be sabotaged in the manner you describe. But your's might just be the exception that proves the legend, so take all precautions you believe necessary. Good luck with it.

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

These stories have been around going back to WWII. Most of these yarns were that. The rifles were made to only fire so many rounds and then they would blow up. Yea, did I shoot 100 rounds or 101 rounds Oh, Sh*t!! The Nambu Pistols would explode and blow people up! Hell that little .380 sized cap would not kill a butterfly.

It was great for my kid brother and I. We were given old Jap rifles and pistols for free to only a few bucks. We rechambered them to 30-06 had no idea of the oversized bores. Any way I have never seen one of these James Hashimoto .007 super secret exploding Jap rifles. :rolleyes::D

20. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

I concur that it was not uncommon to use weapons to trigger a booby trap.

I've not heard of the weapon itself made into one, but I'd err on the side of safety/