Wards western 16 guage

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by cjcjag2, Oct 29, 2011.

1. cjcjag2

cjcjag2 New Member

I have a wards western fields 16 pump, my grand father gave I to my father then to me. When I was younger we were moving and I dropped it anyone know where or I I can get an original stock or the value of the gun

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Wards, Sears, Western Auto, et al all sold guns marked with their "store brand". Guns were made by many companies- High Standard, Winchester, Reminton, Marlin, etc.

Give us all the markings on the gun- like a model number, and may be able to cross refererence it to the maker and original model, and point you to a stock.

By the way, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop by the Intro thread and say howdy.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

cjcjag2, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

5. cjcjag2

cjcjag2 New Member

Just did an intro, from Illinois and just enlisted in uscg, the guns model number is

6. cjcjag2

cjcjag2 New Member

30-sb562a it a 16 gauge pump wood stock blued steel

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

I didn't see that on the list. Give us some pics. Overall pictures of the whole gun, close ups of all the markings EVERY MARK YOU CAN FIND. I'm sure someone can figure it out, we usually have pretty good luck with this kind of thing.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Real stab in the dark here- many of the Wards pump guns were by Stevens- below is a Stevens 620. Look anything like this? If so, a smith should be able to find you a replacement.

stevens620a2.jpg clic the pic to enlarge

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Does it look like this?

Attached Files:

10. cjcjag2

cjcjag2 New Member

Yeah that looks like it

11. cjcjag2

cjcjag2 New Member

Here's some photos

Attached Files:

12. fmj

fmj Active Member

I dont see anything wrong with that gun....personally i would leave her as is. Back then, they were built like tanks!!

13. cjcjag2

cjcjag2 New Member

The stock it chipped an most of butt pad is gone I dropped it as a kid I'll post a pic of that part later

14. fmj

fmj Active Member

I think your setting yourself up to get flamed around here. ;)

I asked about putting a new stock on an old gun i just picked up and asked about putting a new stock on it. The general consensus was that i leave it the hell alone as all the dings and dents were "character marks". This is gun i JUST bought.

Post up the pics anyway, i am interested in seeing some close ups of that tank.

The gun in question here was handed down grandfather to son to grandson, its an heirloom! YOU are the one that dropped it and put the character marks on it. Thats part of the history that will be passed down to your kids.

I have quite a few guns handed down from my grandad to my dad to me and i would NEVER think of redoing them. My kids will get them in the same condition (or worse considering we still use 'em) than they came to me. I just shoot 'em, clean 'em and make sure i keep a good coat of oil on 'em.

The way i look at it, i am just the caretaker, until my time to leave this plane of existence comes.

15. cjcjag2

cjcjag2 New Member

I see what you're saying but I do like character marks, but I wanted to put it into te condition my father had it in as a gift

16. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Dents dings ok I get it stories of days gone by but no reason not to restore the gun so it looks great for another 3 generations I just had my long passed grandpas win model 12 restored brought a tear to my now 40 yr old eyes to see her all restored that old 16 guage will be slammin turkeys for another 75 yrs I could just see ol pa cleanin her like I did 35 plus yrs ago hard workin hard huntin ol boy he was