War

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by SmithKid308, Nov 12, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Do the marines wear any kind of ear protection ? What about any other wars ?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Pretty much through out all of war history soldiers have never worn ear protection, but I believe some ear protection is being tested for the military or something to the effect. I know I'd rather be able to hear an order that could save my life and have hearing problems later on in life than die with good hearing, because I didn't hear that order.

3. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

I've wondered this myself. I've gone shooting without hearing protection before. I certainly heard things a little differently for a few days too. But what about soldiers who are constantly firing their guns and around explosions and all that jazz? Yes I said all that jazz.

4. opaww

opaww New Member

I never used any hearing protection in war

5. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I never used any hearing protection during firefights. You need to be able to hear commands clearly, and you need to be able to hear anything suspicious.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I understand the need to hear commands and any surrounding noises. But, can you hear clearly with your ears ringing from gunfire? A couple times I've shot my gun without hearing protection. I guarantee you I couldn't here anything for several minutes.

7. Jay

Jay New Member

I've heard it said that adrenaline dampens the hearing response in a combat situation, but I've seen no documentation to back that up. I've seen combat and my ears did ring. and I'm service-connected for tinnitus and hearing loss. Tinnitus and hearing loss are right up there, among the most frequent service connections, granted by the VA.

8. rob_6095

rob_6095 New Member

I've never heard of anyone ever using hearing protection overseas. At least not in a combat zone. Now granted stateside they will saddle you with every single thing they can think of that is remotely related to safety, but not overseas, it's too important to be aware of what's going on around you.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

What?

No hearing protection in artillery? Aren’t earmuffs/radios used on carriers?

(And what about safety glasses? ;))

10. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Naval shipboard personnel wear hearing protection. Either the headsets for the sound powered phones or mickey mouse. Elite units have peltor or similar electronic headsets with comms built in made available to them, but not required.

EXPENDABLE

11. Jay

Jay New Member

Countryboy.... empty your private message box....

I live 17 miles east of Kokomo, about halfway to Marion. I belong to Deer Creek Conservation Club, in Grant County, and I have my private range, also in Grant County. You let me know when you're gonna be home, and I'll see that you and your folks get all the range time you want.

Thanks for your service......

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Not a Marine, but never wore hearing protection during conflicts. As mentioned, it severely Dampens one's Situational Awareness and the Fight or Flight response.

CONUS, Battalion and range time were primarily the only time hearing protection was utilized.

13. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

You can't wear ear protection. If you did how would you get your VA 10%? That's free medical and hearing aids for life and batteries are included.

14. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

That's where I'm from originally. Your by Greentown if they rebuilt after April 1965? I shot my 1st gun at the family farm in Swayzee. I was 2.:D

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

1st prize for best answer.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's if you can talk the tight wads into letting you have them.

17. steve666

steve666 New Member

Naval gunners wear muffs and land based artillery use ear plugs.

18. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In contacts your senses become pretty acute anyway, you're hyper-alert, you've got adrenal hormones and neurotransmitters going apesh*t, so the noise is just there, part of the environment, and you are concentrating on doing your job. I never had too much problem hearing shouted commands. It's post contact when you notice the ringing in your ears. And by then you're so freakin high on epinephine--colors, smells, sights are super enhanced--you can't believe how freakin blue the sky is.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank God, I have never been in a firefight. I do believe that if I were in one, I would not be worrying very much about my long-term hearing loss.