Wanting to "trick out" my model 700

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ShagNasty1001, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Have a simple Remington Model 700 ADL and have been wanting to add some stuff to it, like a new stock, barrel, and sights for longer range shooting (400+ yards). Any advice/ideas starting with the sights will be much appreciated

2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I forgot to mention, it's in a .308

3. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

How much are you willing to spend, because remington has a good amount of aftermarket parts, and some are super pricy.

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Probably around 750-1000 excluding the sights

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Krieger 1 in 10 twist barrel in #9 contour 24" long
    Elite Iron Max Tac 30 muzzel brake (optional)
    Oversize reciol lug
    McMillan A3-5 stock
    1/2" Decel pad
    Jewell trigger
    +20 MOA pitatinny scope rail mount
    Badger Ordance scope rings
    Night Force scope or better of your choice (new or used) perferrably something in Mill/Mill or MOA/MOA. Don't mix knob and reticle
    Badger Ordance M-5 bottom metal
    A few extra 10 round or 5 round AI magazines (they fit M-5 bottom metal)
    Harris HBRS bi-pod (6" to 9" swivel type)

Have reciever trued when installing new barrel. Also have oversize recoil lug installed and barreled action bedded into stock at same time. Have muzzel end of barrel threaded to 5/8"X24 to accomodate optional muzzel brake or supressor. Get thread protector over threads on muzzel in case you don't use muzzel brake or are not using a supressor. Have flush cups installed on the left side and the bottom of the butt and the forestock. Have QD stud placed into bottom of forestock ahead of the flush cup.

6. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/

Is a 308 good for 400+ yards???? My Nikon Spoton gave it -26in low and 20" if zeroed @ 100 yards and 200 yards. Looking @ the Winchester ballistic calculator the curve at that range you would be very great.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

A M700 should be able to hit 400 yards pretty easy with a .308. If you put a match barrel, good stock (plus bipod if you want one), amd a good scope on it, you should be able to reach out much farther then 400 yards. Especially if you put that kind of money into it. :D

Boyd and McMillian both make several types of stocks. I would look into them. You can go the tactical route, or get a wood stock with a thumbhole (or just a classic stock). Personally, I like laminate stocks because they are extremely stable, and beautiful. The down side is that they are heavier then other types of stocks, but unless you are going to carry the gun around a lot or shoot long distances while standing, It should not matter.

As for the barrel, look into Kreiger, or McGowan. They make good barrels. I would get a heavy, match barrel.

You can pretty much go any direction with the optics. Weaver and Leupold are just a few of the good scope brands out there. Just get a large (around 40-50mm) variable power scope. As for the power, that is up to you. You could get something like a 4-20x to something that can go up to 45x. They also make some of these higher power scopes fixed (not variable). I would get something with mil dot sights though.
    Remember, you usually get what you pay for with scopes. But that does not mean you have to drom a $1000 on one. (Someone with more knowedge of scopes then me would be able to help you better.) :D

Have fun and happy building.

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

.308 is quite good for 400 yards. Does get to 1000 yards fairly well with 175 grain SMK's. There are better caliber options for 1000 yards though.

9. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I shoot mine at 450 with ease now. I just want to reach out farther more accurately. I know the drop is a lot but that doesn't bother me.

And as for sights, I was looking at leupold and zeiss. How much are those stocks and barrels?

10. 007BondJamesBond007

http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

I was just crunching numbers. I am not a ballistic expert just trying to learn it seems to me your shooting it like a cannon lobbing the bullet to the target. It seems like you need to bring a computer to figure out the arc.

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Yes you are "shooting it like a cannon" to get to far targets. There's several things I use to accurately calculate the bullt drop for and given range. First you have to know the muzzel velocity of the bullet, then you have to know the Ballistic coefficient of the bullet being used. Then you have to know various atmospheric conditions and altitude for where you are at when you shoot. I use a Kestrel 4500 pocket weather meter to get the atmospheric conditions and altitude info I need. Then along with the actual muzzel velocity and ballistic coefficient of the given bullet I use ballistic calculator software to get my elevation and windage settings for the scope. I generate a come up sheet for each distance I'm going to be shooting at. I keep data records from every time I shoot recording the actual "fine tuned" elevation and windage settings along with the altitude and atmospheric conditions.

12. 007BondJamesBond007

Thank you it just amazes me how snipers make the shot @ 2miles. I worked on NUKES in the Air Force. All you had be was close.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I hope you have about $2K in disposable income. Tricking out a bolt gun will ger VERY expensive. Basically you will use only the receiver and bolt. EVERYTHING else will be new.

14. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

It's gonna be over time. I'm not gonna buy everything at once. A new project for me

15. TLuker

TLuker New Member

The add ons are fun so go for it if you want to, but there's a good chance that your ADL will shoot 400+ yards now. My last ADL in 30-06 was sub MOA with the right ammo and it was stock other than breaking in the barrel and adding a scope.

Clean the barrel and get rid of the copper fouling, and try different rounds of good ammo to find out what your gun likes.
    You might be surprised by how well your gun shoots as is? Once you have it shooting its best you can try different things and see what helps improve accuracy and what doesn't. Just my .02:)

16. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I second that I own a 700 bdl custom deluxe in 30-06 and I shoot 1 inch groups using a Burris 3x9x50 scope with 150 gr federal ammunition from wall mart. My trigger pull is 4.5 lbs. At 100 yards. In the Army we used to hit the 300 yard target all the time with our m16 a2s with iron sights so hitting a target with a scoped 30-06 at 400 plus yards should not be that hard with some practice.

17. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Oh yeah it's a breeze with my 308 and a 3-9x40 redfield. I wanna "lob the cannon ball" so to speak

18. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I have a chote tactical stock on my rem 700 308, I like it a lot. Good price and good solid stock.

image-727947120.jpg

image-558632990.jpg

play the victim, be the victim

Attached Files:

19. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

How much was that? And how did you get the muzzle break? I wanna do that to my 25-06

20. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

The stock was $250 when I bought it from chote. And the muzzle break I built at work a few years ago out of some scrap aluminum. It is set screwed on so I didn't have to thread the barrel and I've put a few hundred rounds through it without any troubles.

play the victim, be the victim