Wanting to Start Reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by zaitsev44, Oct 15, 2013.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I've been watching a bunch of videos on YouTube on reloading, and I've seen how simple it is. Iraqveteran8888 has a lot of good videos on reloading. The Lee 50th Anniversary Kit sounds good for starters and is pretty cheap ($110 or so) and iraqveteran8888 did a 3 part review on it. It looks like it has everything I would need. I'm wanting to reload for .30-06, .303 Brit, .30 carbine, and .270 just to name the more costly calibers I have. Besides the Lee 50th Anniversary kit, dies, and components (brass, powder, primers, and projectiles), what else would I need? Thanks for any feedback and advice!

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

A good book. The ABCs of reloading is highly recommended.

Good luck!

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Ok thanks. IV8888 also recommended the reloaded handbook second edition by Richard Lee.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Its nice (not sure if the lee kit has them in it) to have a couple of shell holders like MTM makes to hold all your shells as you put the powder in. I like to do the powder, and then hold the tray under a bright light and visually inspect all cartridges for powder levels. If there is any that appears inconsistent to the others, I dump it, and reload that one with powder and check again just to make sure I have no Squibs, or Dangerous hot loads.

thee shell holders can be bought for around 10 dollars, or if you have a drill and a piece of wood you can make your own, but they are very handy for reloading

5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Ok thanks. He was using one, I read something about lubing the cases. Is that necessary or just a precaution to keep everything flowing smoothly?

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Lube them all. Or you may get a brass stuck in a die and end up doing what I did one time back home :eek:

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the ABC's of Reloading is an excellent book and one i highly recommend for new reloaders and those thinking about getting into reloading.

Richard Lee's book about relaoding is also a good source of information and a good companion to the the ABC's of Reloading. though he does refence alot of his own products for the information. and Lee makes some good products that are very affordable. i use them myself.

but get the books first and read them, then read them again. reloading is enjoyable and rewarding in adding to your shooting experiance and pleasure.

reloading can be very safe to do, as long as you follow the safety procedures and guidelines. if not, it can possibly damage a firearm, you are anyone near you. they are there for a reason, to keep you from getting hurt or killing yourself.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

A hand primer reloading tool is so much more convenient to use than on doing it on my single stage press. Does the kit have that in it?

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

+10,000

you need to have quiet time with yourself when you do this, not have kids or friends over etc, do it when you can pay full attention or you could end up seriously hurt or worse

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The blocks used to hold the cases is called a "Lube" block. The shell holders are the small numbered inserts used to hold the case head in the ram. The hand held priming tools can be dynamic if a primer detonates. This does happen wear glasses and gloves keep it away from your face. I would use the conventional ram primer on the press. For a little more money you can get the LEE Classic Turret.:)

11. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I believe it does, there's an arm on the press that hinges into the casing and pushes it in.

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Yes, thats the one I don't use anymore.

13. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

What's the difference between the Lee Classic Kit and the Lee 50th Anniversary kit? Besides the Classic kit is a 3 turret press and the Anniversary is a single stage press.

14. Axxe55

i completely agree. reloading requires your full and undivided attention.

i don't reload when i am drinking alcohol, on medications that can make me drowsy, when i'm tired or anytime i can't pay full attention to what needs to be done.

15. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I second spending a little more coin amd getting the lee turret. I love mine.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

not too long ago we had a member kaboom his habd with a hand held primer tool. ive never been fond of them since there is nothing preventing about a hundred little explosions ripping your hand up other than luck.

i use one of these rcbs priming tools for single stage stuff

[​IMG]

17. Axxe55

how much is that one Jon? i like that!

18. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Ya, respect the primers... they'll get ya if you're not careful. propellant to, a guy I worked with had a few flakes if powder in a screw hole on a Dillin, put a screw in the hole, tightened it and then had a BOOM. Good house keeping and safety glasses is a must

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

i bought mine years ago about 60$ they run 89 on midway might be able to find em cheaper in local shops or used.

its really fast and safe since if you set off a primer it wont chain the rest like a hand primer can

20. Axxe55

thanks Jon! that's reasonable in price. i like the design of it. i do all my depriming and priming on my press now. that might be what i need to get. much appreciated Jon.