wanting my first SIG

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by worknk9s, Jul 28, 2010.

1. worknk9s

worknk9s New Member

Hello there,

Im a home owner in Ca . ( yes the restrictions suck lol )
    and have decieded to purchance my first handgun.

Im interested in SIG and would like your opinions on which guns
    i should try out at the range .

Im looking for a -
    compact / semi auto
    Ease of use without major kick , ease to reload & ease to clean.
    Which caliber is ideal for less kick ?

Im a woman 5'4 that is athletic .
    I have shot and been around many different types of guns but was never interested until now- to purchase my very own.

All opinions are greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks for your time,
    Crystal

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I gave my daughter a P226 9mm Sig Sauer. She's a pretty small girl [5"2" 100 lb]. she loves it.

It's hard top go wrong with a Sig Sauer. They are reliable well made weapons.

3. judgepw

judgepw New Member

Good choice

Sig is as good as it gets for the $$$. Few people really need a gun of any higher quality. 9mm or .380 would fill your requirements. However, you'd have to shoot 'em a lot with either caliber.

4. worknk9s

worknk9s New Member

Thanks for the fast responce DJ & Judgepw ,

I picked SIG for Quality & reputation - but Im just unsure where to start.

Why would i have to shoot the 9mm & 380 allot more ? Is it because the bullet itself , does it leave residue ?

Please educate me :confused:

C

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I believe he is referring to the relatively small caliber of the 9mm and .380 round and it's purported lack of one shot stopping power.

Many believe that a good self defense round begins with a 4, i.e. .40 S&W or .45ACP. That is usually a personal preference, you should carry what you are confident and comfortable with. No point in having a gun you are afraid to shoot because of recoil. Make a trip or two to a local range that rents handguns, try out a few different calibers and decide what you feel most comfortable with, afterall you can always buy a bigger gun later on. :)

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The vanilla answer is try a P226 or P229, and start with 9mm. It's an affordable, manageable, adequate defense round. The 226/229/220 (if you're up to a 45acp) models are quality guns. They're simple, reliable, well-balanced, and a cinch to strip and clean. There are other quality Sig models at different prices, however these are their flagship models.

But my own advice would be to keep your options open. Experiment with different manufacturers. A least explore revolvers (a .327mag could be an outstanding defense choice if recoil is an issue). Try your hand at larger calibers such as 45acp (your ability to handle them may surprise you). And when it comes to 9mm, bear in mind that one of it's attributes is capacity, which can't be fully realized by California gun laws.

It's really just best to try on as much as possible. And if you feel like the Sig is right for you, you can get into a new/newer P220/26/29 with night sights for under $800 if you shop around. And you'll have a great gun.

"Im looking for a -
    compact / semi auto
    Ease of use without major kick , ease to reload & ease to clean.
    Which caliber is ideal for less kick ?"

The first thoughts that'd come to mind based on this statement would be a P229/P239 (both 9mm) or a P238/P232 (380acp).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As others have said, Sig makes a great pistol. Very accurate, reliable, and easy to maintain. To start out I would highly recommend going with a 9mm as it's a good all around caliber and ammo is plentiful and about the cheapest there is. Cheap ammo = more practice.

I own (or have owned) just about every model Sig has made and if you're looking for compact - I'd recommend the P239. It is a single stack (thinner magazine, hence thinner grip) and a great concealable gun should you choose to go that route. My wife is a tiny thing (about 5-1, 110) and she shoots a 239 very well. Sigs can be expensive but also consider a CPO (certified pre-owned) model. Here's my P239...

[​IMG]

8. worknk9s

worknk9s New Member

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

With the right defensive ammo, 9mm (and even .380) will do a good job at normal defensive ranges. While renting a variety of guns is a great way to select what works for you, always bear in mind that rental guns are generally abused and may not be maintained as well as they could be. Another option you may want to consider is a Kahr. These are light, very thin, and shoot very well. My EDC (every day carry) is a Kahr P9 in 9mm and it's a very versatile gun...

[​IMG]

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

A 9mm would probably be more what you're looking for. The ammo is MUCH cheaper so practice would be a lot more cost effective. AS to stopping power a 9mm is just fine. It has much more to do with shot placement anyway. Most modern production ammo these days you can get pretty nasty results with a good defense round...Even in 9mm. And a Sig is one of the most hungry pistols made. They will eat anything. I have a 229 in .40 and it's a dream to shoot too. Honestly though if your wanting to get your feet wet in the pistol shooting pool a 9mm is a great place to start.

Some to look at....
    A P226 P229, P228, the P6, or P225 The latter two are single stack lower capacity.

The 226 is probably the most available of all of them. Anywhere I see a Sig or two in the case it's usually one version of the 226.

Keep us in the loop. I hope to hear more on your progress. :)

11. worknk9s

worknk9s New Member

well i went to the range today and shot sig pro2022 .40ca
    (this was what they had SIG wize and a sig 9mm )
    A friend brought his s&w 9mm , 38 , .357 / 45 and shotgun

I was there mainly to decied which caliber to choose and truely there wasnt much of a difference. I ofcourse want to try p226/p228/ p229 etc. but need to call around and find them to rent.

The 9mm was lighter and I didnt have the best balance holding it.
    the sig2022 was heavier but it felt very solid in my hands but I did notice the nose of the gun was heavier too and my shot was down ???
    not sure if any of this makes any sense LOL

The 38 rev. was special ;) nice solid gun.
    the 45 is just too much and heavy.
    Even thinking that shotgun would look great near my bed :cool:

I want to enjoy shooting the gun and dont want to get board.
    I think the 9mm or .40 will do just fine but now i have to find the right gun.

Any advice to light / medium / heavy guns semiauto handguns -
    I still want to stay with the compact size.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The P229 is my all time fav among non 1911 smaller pistols. Mines a .40 but I'd really like to check out a 9mm version of the 229. Para Ordenience has the PDA and Carry 9 in 9mm. I think you can still get the LTC in a 9mm too. I have one of those in 45ACP and it's one of the best in my collection.

There are plenty of decent 40's out there but you might do yourself a much better service getting a 9mm providing you find one that has the balance you think is right for you. A 9mm is just cheaper to feed so getting in more trigger time because you can get more ammo can do wonders for your over all level of shooting. But if you really like a 40 more then by all means get one. Yeah ammo is a little more but you have to shoot what you feel you like best. Even a 380 will work with good ammo.
    i personally see them a little too hard on the hand and the ammo is a good bit more than 9mm but at avg. defense distanced they will get it done.

Any of those listed would be great weapons. You'll know what you really want when you put your hands on it and get that lovin' feelin' because it fits just that well.

13. worknk9s

worknk9s New Member

Goodmorning DJ,

this is what im thinking - I want to try the 229 in a doublestack 9mm (that is why i think the .40 felt better weight wize) and also try it in the .40 .

I will keep u posted ;)

have a great weekend
    C

14. worknk9s

worknk9s New Member

One question i did have after playing at the range is -

When i fired the pro2022 the chamber didnt open when it was empty ?
    I hand to manually pull it back.

Now is this normal or did i just get a typical beatup rental gun ? :rolleyes:

C

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Could have been a dirty gun but may also have been your thumb resting too high up and contacting the slide release, preventing it from engaging the follower. If you are not completely invested in the SIG take a look at a Springfield XD in 9mm or 40 S&W. The xd comes in 3", 4" and 5" inch models and should be on the CA approved list. It's a polymer frame so it may be a little lighted for you, the grip is not as blocky as the SIG tends to be, in my opinion. I shot both SIGs and XDs when looking for a 40 S&W and could never seem to get a comfortable grip on the SIG, but thats just me.

Have fun, take your time and you will eventually find what works for you.

Good luck.