Wanting Lc9 experience and advice

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jeepnjonny, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

Earlier this year we were looking for a small gun for my wife. I really liked how the lc9 felt but she liked the m&p shield. We like the shield a lot but now I'm looking to buy a new gun and I have seen some used lc9 for about 300-375. I have never shot one.

What are your thoughts on the ruger?
    Do you have any advice about price and the gun?

Thanks.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I own and CC an LC9 regularly. I choose to pocket carry, so either the LC9 or my S&W J-frame are my tools of choice. They both have DA triggers and the J-frame actually has a stiffer trigger pull than the LC9.

If I was going to carry IWB, I'd carry my SR9c. The SR9c has a better trigger, higher capacity, and is overall a more accurate, better gun to shoot, plus it gives you the option of 17+1 round cap. for HD.

As I've mentioned before, if I could only own one of these two guns, it would be the SR9c.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The smaller the gun, the more felt recoil, the worse the experience for the wife.

I don't buy the wife's shoes, clothes, underwear, or gun.

Let her decide.

4. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

What do you mean DA trigger? I have other guns for HD. I really want something to pocket carry.

5. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

I'm with you. She did get the shield back in April. She loves it. Now it's my turn for a new gun.

I was curious about pricing and if anyone had experience with both.

6. marc29th

marc29th New Member

The DA trigger is double action only so a long trigger pull every time you pull the trigger kind of like a revolver.

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

DA = Double Action

The LC9 is a DA only, hammer-fired pistol, that means that with each squeeze of the trigger the gun's hammer is cocked and released to strike the firing pin (in this gun). The J-frame is a DA/SA (Single-Action) pistol, you can choose to either manually cock the hammer and squeeze the trigger to fire the gun (SA), or use the trigger to cock and fire the gun (DA).

The SR9c is a "Striker Fired" pistol, a different design from the LC9, and in this case the finger pressure needed to fire the pistol is a good bit less than is necessary to fire the LC9, aiding in better accuracy due to less effort.

For pocket carry, LC9 for sure!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

Thanks guys. I just didn't match the letters to the words. I'm still learning all the forum talk.

9. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I bought an LC9 for the wife but she never got the hang of the long trigger pull. She traded it for a Kimber Sapphire Ultra.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

The only experience I have with an LC9 is holding it one time at a gun store. It didn't feel right in my hand. I suppose it could be a viable option for me as a pocket carry gun, but I enjoy shooting my guns and if one doesn't feel right in the hand... Its a no-go.

Of course your hand is different than mine, so if you like it, great, more power to ya. I've heard good things about the reliability of the gun.

The price you mentioned seems fair, in my limited experience. I have seen it for more than that at my LGS.

11. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I had one and traded it for a J-frame. The trigger wasn't the issue, I just don't like having so many safeties AND the DA trigger. Just personal preference

12. velofan

velofan New Member

Some people love the loong trigger pull of the LC9 and others don't' personally it is difficult for me to maintain decent accuracy with Mr LC9. Love the design and it feeds and ejects like a champ. Just wish the trigger had less travel.

13. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

Is there a way to get a trigger job done on these?

14. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Galloway makes a trigger mod kit, check youtube for more info. This is not an endorsement.

15. bwraven

bwraven New Member

I carry an LC9 daily, and train with it frequently.

Many of my students have a problem shooting it. As mentioned above, it has a lot of bark to it. It takes quite a bit of practice to reliably hit your target with it. I recently upgraded to Ruger's new 9 round magazines for the LC9, and the extended grip length has improved my accuracy with it.

My niece (who is 21) recently got her CPL, and I took her to an indoor range to try several different subcompact 9mm's. She ended-up buying the Taurus PT709. It fit her hand the best and had the best trigger of the bunch.

You really should have your wife try several different pistols to determine which fits her the best.

16. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I had one and sold it off. Tried about 500 rounds through it but could never get comfortable with it. Didn't fit my hand well, the trigger is too long in DA, safety is kind of small and mine consistantly shot low. I sold it in a private sale and the new owner is very happy with it. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I grew up putting thousands of rounds through revolvers. Unless it's required for a qualification course I never shoot them single action. Keeping that in mind I did not find the LC9 trigger to be objectionable. It's not as easy as a 1911 and it's not as bad as a Sig P250.

18. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

Once again. This is would be for me. I should have worded my first post better. My wife has the shield and loves it.

I really like how the lc9 fits in my hand. I just held one again last night. I just have not shot it and many people have mentioned the Long pull on it. I really just want to shoot one. I'll have to rent one when I'm home in a week at a local range.

Thanks for all the replies.

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I had one and sold it , Im not a revolver kind of guy and I just did not like the long DAO trigger pull . It fit very well in my hand for having large hands and I shot it fairly accurate for what it was . I also did not like all the safeties it had . If I have to draw I dont want to have to worry about the safety being a issue so I went with a Diamondback DB9 . Its not as comfortable in my had because its a little bit smaller than the LC9 but I like the striker fired trigger feel better , its a bit long for a striker fired gun but with no safety its needs to have a little longer pull . Its not any less accurate than the LC9 was but I just feel better about the trigger setup and no safety to forget about, its a bit thinner and smaller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] .

20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I certainly don't recommend this to anybody else, but I don't use the manual safety on mine. I figure with the DA trigger if I use a stiff holster that covers the trigger I should be fine.